Hello..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScotsBiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Hello.. Reply with quote

Hi All...

I am new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of Ayr, Glasgow or Hamilton test centres? It is for a DAS test. Just trying to decide which is best as I am handy for them all. The local bike trainer uses them all, and I can have my pick.

Cheers..

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:49 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no advice but hello from the middle of England
I'm new to forum as well
I took the DAS route myself at 46 yrs young
Good luck on. The tests
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:30 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not recent, no.

I passed in Shieldhall, Glasgow in 2010, after one fail for not slowing down enough for an unmarked junction, the third of three that the examiner took me through.

On the re-test we went west through Renfew and, surprise surprise, more unmarked junctions.

Perfectly fair, but you don't see that many of them around these days, so watch out for them. Treat them as give-ways, slow right down if you're not sure.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome! Good luck with the DAS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research the routes the test centres normally use and pick the roads you're most familiar with. My experience is that examiners often like to take you to notorious spots (blind junction, odd roundabout, hidden speed limit sign etc) to see how you handle them. The more you know the roads you're likely to be tested on, the more you can concentrate on what the traffic is doing.

Your instructor may be able to give you advice re: troublesome examiners that it's best to avoid too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I didn't realise that Hamilton ran module 2 tests, but not module 1. Ayr, is that a new site?

I'm not a fan of the roads around Hamiton, and Shieldhall has a notably low pass rate (54.3% versus 70.6% nationally) so I'd be minded to look at Ayr.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:52 - 30 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:33 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Jungle!

ScotsBiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks everyone.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:53 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Not recent, no.

I passed in Shieldhall, Glasgow in 2010, after one fail for not slowing down enough for an unmarked junction, the third of three that the examiner took me through.

On the re-test we went west through Renfew and, surprise surprise, more unmarked junctions.

Perfectly fair, but you don't see that many of them around these days, so watch out for them. Treat them as give-ways, slow right down if you're not sure.
There's a couple in Bath about 2 miles from the test centre (before it closed). Al the (car) instructors used to include them in the circuits they took the students on to ensure that they knew what to do.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mod 2 keep to the left when cornering. Some examiners frown upon you going too close to the white line, even when you can clearly see around the bend.

Your instructor should show you the test routes that the examiners use and point out places where they'll try to catch you out.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed my first Mod2 at Hamilton, passed second time round a fortnight later. Depending on the time of day, the roads around the town centre can be busy and a lot of the folk driving around don't know or care about lanes and markings so watch out for that. There are some tricky junctions in the town centre too, watch out for that when it comes to the independent driving part.

Only one examiner, Kenny I think he's called. Alright guy, my instructor obviously knew him from previous tests n stuff and had some banter, seemed ok.

ScotsBiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I have decided on Ayr. I have heard it's a fairly good mix of roads, and you get out of town on the faster roads. Not sure about keeping to the left when cornering, my instructor reckons that's fine for r/h bends but not what is needed on the left handers. I will check though.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotsBiker wrote:
Thanks very much. I have decided on Ayr. I have heard it's a fairly good mix of roads, and you get out of town on the faster roads. Not sure about keeping to the left when cornering, my instructor reckons that's fine for r/h bends but not what is needed on the left handers. I will check though.

I got 2 or 3 minors for cornering too close to the central white line on left handed bends and a major (ie: fail) for doing the same on a right hander, as my body crossed the line when leaning. Even though my view and road were clear of traffic.

But, yes. Check with your instructor as different examiners and different areas appear to make up their own rules somewhat.

In the Isle of Man, for example, they expect you to ride over those square speed bumps as opposed to around them and they'll mark you down for doing so. This left my instructor in the UK rather bemused when I had my first lesson here, as he was wondering why I kept riding over them.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1