Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50 cc scooter help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:50 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: 50 cc scooter help Reply with quote

Hi there guys (and girls you never know). Before you say it i know chinese bike are not great but was given it by a friend after mine was stolen. I sorted out the electrical problems but am having an issue with power.

The engine starts ok every time and on stand rear wheel will spin with a twist of throttle, but put it to the ground and well even at full throttle i can hold her in place. the engine is trying but no power to pull bike. It revs up ok i have checked carb its clean and free, air filter is clean too. fresh fuel is getting through to engine fine.

I have checked rollers they are little worn but nothing major, with cover off variator is moving belt as its meant to. I am at a total loss.

Now was reading an old post and they recommended to take the exhaust off and see if power comes back( it did for his bike). Now mine is a 50cc 4 stroke gy6 copy engine should i try this? and can anyone else think of a reason or something i might check.

thanks

Last edited by kharlton on 18:12 - 02 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the great thing about having 50cc scooter in the title, you already know going in that there is going to be zero punctuation.

Seriously, do yourself a favour.
Nobody is going to try and read that.

People can be remarkably helpful here, but they will only put in the effort you do.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i never think of punctuation its not often i take pen to paper this way. no excuse i know i should know better at 48 but does not come up often

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:48 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kharlton wrote:
Sorry i never think of punctuation its not often i take pen to paper this way. no excuse i know i should know better at 48 but does not come up often

Que?

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch ie the pulley at the rear
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:12 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would taking the exhaust off help power 'come back'?
Back up start from the top.
-Engine runs.
-Rear wheel spins up on stand
-Bike no move, when wheels on floor
That what you got?
If the engine wasn't making power... it would stop running! so it's making 'some' power.
It makes enough power to make the back wheel spin.. in the air... so ts making enough power and enough revs to make the centrifugal clutch engage.
Put it on floor.. load on wheel; NOW the engine still makes enough power to run.. just dont move the machine...
Still rev.. if t revs high enough to engage the clutch now but didn't have the power to puch the thig alng the floor... it would bog, and try and stall
If it sitll revs, just dont move.... its making power.. its just not moving
anything....
Hmmmm.... where can 'power' go mising between a running engine and a back wheel not turning, in a bike with o gearbox?
I know! Its taking a holiday out the exhaust pipe! Shocked
Look at the clutch, mate... 10:1 it needs new slippers and springs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:18 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
Clutch ie the pulley at the rear

clutch turns freely and belt does pull into it when it is off the floor. stiff to pull apart but it seams to be within tolerances. turns wheel freely by hand and very little play but then bike is less than two years old.

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:23 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Why on earth would taking the exhaust off help power 'come back'?
Back up start from the top.
-Engine runs.
-Rear wheel spins up on stand
-Bike no move, when wheels on floor
That what you got?
If the engine wasn't making power... it would stop running! so it's making 'some' power.
It makes enough power to make the back wheel spin.. in the air... so ts making enough power and enough revs to make the centrifugal clutch engage.
Put it on floor.. load on wheel; NOW the engine still makes enough power to run.. just dont move the machine...
Still rev.. if t revs high enough to engage the clutch now but didn't have the power to puch the thig alng the floor... it would bog, and try and stall
If it sitll revs, just dont move.... its making power.. its just not moving
anything....
Hmmmm.... where can 'power' go mising between a running engine and a back wheel not turning, in a bike with o gearbox?
I know! Its taking a holiday out the exhaust pipe! Shocked
Look at the clutch, mate... 10:1 it needs new slippers and springs.

only thing i could find i hadn't tried was listed in another post was querying it as it was an old post https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=221989
this is as close to problem i am getting as i have been able to find.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:35 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a two stroke, I bet the exhaust is blocked

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't most people hold a 50cc scooter back? I remember as a teenager doing this with a friends and we were having a right old laugh.

OP, what did you ride before? You sure it's actually broken and not just gutless?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
If it's a two stroke, I bet the exhaust is blocked

it is a 4 stroke engine though i was wondering same thing it used to do 40/45 before its electrical fault been standing a while. thought everything was fine till tried to ride it. at times will give 10-15mph on flat at the moment cant get it to move with no one sat on it

Last edited by kharlton on 19:51 - 02 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Can't most people hold a 50cc scooter back? I remember as a teenager doing this with a friends and we were having a right old laugh.

OP, what did you ride before? You sure it's actually broken and not just gutless?

should not be able to my little zip 50 would of yanked my arms off an pulled itself onto its back wheel this i can hold with no effort. engine doesn't get up the revs as high as it does off the floor but it doesn't stall

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kharlton wrote:
Snowdonia Rider wrote:

should not be able to my little zip 50 would of yanked my arms off an pulled itself onto its back wheel
l

Really? Are you 5 years old?

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:11 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Are you 5 years old?[/quote]

No i'm 48 and yes my zip 50 had my arm in a sling for nearly two weeks after that stunt cost a fortune to replace the panels after it dropped.
i don't expect that out of a 4 stroke engine but i don't expect to be able to hold it still with 3 fingers . was always taught that power was fuel air and exhaust fuel and air are ok though i think the 85 jet might be a bit big in the carb would of expected to see an aftermarket exhaust with that size jet and manufacture seams to recommend a 75 but if they had it running like that with standard exhaust is it possible its coked up?.
I'm trying resolve issues before throwing money at it so helpful coments are welcome

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kharlton wrote:
Nobby the b'stard wrote:
Really? Are you 5 years old?

No i'm 48 and yes my zip 50 had my arm in a sling for nearly two weeks after that stunt cost a fortune to replace the panels after it dropped.
i don't expect that out of a 4 stroke engine but i don't expect to be able to hold it still with 3 fingers . was always taught that power was fuel air and exhaust fuel and air are ok though i think the 85 jet might be a bit big in the carb would of expected to see an aftermarket exhaust with that size jet and manufacture seams to recommend a 75 but if they had it running like that with standard exhaust is it possible its coked up?.
I'm trying resolve issues before throwing money at it so helpful coments are welcome

Once again, punctuation or fuck off.

kharlton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

help full comments are useful. my grammar may not be perfect but that last comment just show how immature and foul mouthed you are. please if you cant be help full then say nothing thank you

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kharlton wrote:
help full comments are useful. my grammar may not be perfect but that last comment just show how immature and foul mouthed you are. please if you cant be help full then say nothing thank you

You were asked to try to use a miodicum of punctuation (not grammar) in response to your first post.

You haven't. As a result I told you to fuck off.

That doesn't make me immature.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a four stroke moped; by law, it shouldn't be capable of exceeding 28mph, or it's no longer a moped.

Speedo optiism may suggest thats's about 35 on the dial; but, seperate issue.

WHAT on EARTH are you talking about; power is fuel and air and exhaust.. and the air's OK?! And the exhaust you want to take off, you are worried is coked up... on a four stroke!?!? is OK.. but you are fretting about jet sizs?!?!?

POWER is Force x Speed; end of. That is SI definition of the stuff.

You aren't getting the thing to move.. so no speed or force.. so no power at the back wheel... GO CHECK THE EFFING CLUTCH SLIPPERS!

You sound like you have far more ideas than know-how, that are going to help you make a darn site more problems than you'll solve.

Motor runs; its making power, its not getting where its useful. This does NOT suggest you should be diving in looking at carburettor jets, exhaust pipes, or aything else! Suggests your clutch isn't hooking up, and or your belt is slipping.

Sort THAT, get the book, do a service; BEFORE you start any more poking and proddngs i the dark, with wild ideas that an engine suddenly needs a totally different carburetor jetting.. as stuff wears out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question what colour is your clutch outer, if it blue or any colour but brassy yellow colour (passivated). As everybody has said it your clutch is not allowing full power to be transmitted or there is oil on your drive belt, or the drive belt is very very worn. NOT ENGINE!!!!
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

it defiantly sounds more like a gear or drive issue then engine

if it revs freely on the stand but not under weight something is slipping at the back

unless the engine is dying when on the ground
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1