Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Warped discs" and re-using disc bolts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:58 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: "Warped discs" and re-using disc bolts Reply with quote

Hello,

My trackbike ('08 CBR600RR) has an intense vibration through the front end when braking. There is pulsing through the brake lever.

I found that there was a ton of corrosion between the disc itself and the disc carrier which I attempted to clean as best I can. This did improve the problem, but it's still not perfect. Obviously for track use I need it to be right, so I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to sort it.

The discs may well be warped, but the wheels are not in great nick and have a fair bit of corrosion. I'm thinking I should remove the front wheel, remove the discs and clean behind them, and then re-fit. In the Haynes manual it says to not re-use disc bolts, but If I buy a new Honda set, then I'll only have to replace them again if I end up having to fork out for new discs. Do you think it's OK to re-use brake disc bolts? Anybody had success removing and cleaning front brake discs? I know Robby did a while ago, but I wondered if anybody else had any experience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my discs off a few times and reused the bolts. Best and common practice often differ.

I also tried to solve a warped disc by cleaning the corrosion off between the dsic carrier and the wheel, but ultimately it didn't make much/any difference in my case. YMMV ofc.

Maybe check for runout at both the carrier and steel braking surface? See which bit is borked.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above ^

Just use the bolts again. Clean the old loctite off the threads (if used) and put some new stuff on.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-up the bolts when fitted. Quick visual reference aid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested:

I decided that the corrosion between the disc and the carrier was too much of a faff to clean, and I've booked a couple of trackdays for August so I wanted to make sure the bike was right. I ordered some EBC discs from ebay which were discounted, but then I found out the seller was selling items he didn't actually possess, and that the discs would arrive just before the trackday.

So I cancelled the order and serendipitously found some low mileage second hand OEM ones for a lot less money. I'm going to fit them this weekend. I also replaced the front wheel bearings and seals just in case that was the issue. The left hand wheel bearing was notchy, so that may have also contributed to the issue.

The rear end of the bike is caked in corrosion, so being the bike rides OK apart from the braking issues I'll leave it for now, but I think my winter project is going to be to strip and re-grease the back end and replace any bushes or bearings that need it.

I'm going to re-use the bolts, clean them up with my die set, and put loctite blue on them before re-fitting. I don't currently have any loctite red. I assume loctite blue will be OK?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loctite blue is nutlock rather than studlock and not so strong. That being said on board ship when I have run out I've ended up using bearing fit instead of either, - never had a problem.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be using blue, not red.

Buy or borrow a dial guage and measure the runout. Might be wheel.
For my 125 it was much cheaper to buy a used wheel/discs assembly.

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:00 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Loctite blue is nutlock rather than studlock and not so strong. That being said on board ship when I have run out I've ended up using bearing fit instead of either, - never had a problem.

.... till you try to undo them......

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to get the old ones out before 'deciding' to re-use.
Usually there is one that has other ideas. Rolling Eyes

Technically they will have stretched but hard to see a huge risk using again provided you check one or two have not loosened off after a couple of runs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Need to get the old ones out before 'deciding' to re-use.
Usually there is one that has other ideas. Rolling Eyes

Technically they will have stretched but hard to see a huge risk using again provided you check one or two have not loosened off after a couple of runs.

Is there even that much of torque that it would stretch the screws? Reading the ZX7R manual, there's supposed to be max of 23Nm / 16.5 ft-lb of torqure (that's hand tight at best). Thinking

The only thing I know that might go wrong and people do it quite often, they start to taking the screws off without cleaning the heads first, so their tool is not properly seated and their first atempt to remove the screws leads to ruining them, which leads to BCF registration and posting a ''I need help'' thread in the Biking News & Rumours, which then makes Roger's blood pressure to go up.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 14:37 - 30 Jul 2017; edited 2 times in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-use the bolts. The only reason they can have for saying use new ones is because they come pre-coated with threadlock. They are the wrong shape and too short to be stretch bolts and they can't possibly have been stressed to or near their yield point because that would render the risk of failure and subsequent liability too high.

Threadlock them in.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:52 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few notes on this thread so far:

1.) By the time I'd got to post yesterday I'd already completely removed the old discs and replaced the wheel bearings and seals. The disc bolts came out a little too easily for my liking, but they all came out.

2.) I used a steel rule to try to see the warp on the discs. One of them *might* be slightly warped, but I think the issue is more down to corrosion behind the floating disc buttons making the disc out of true rather than warped.

3.) The second hand discs arrived Friday. They were in very good condition, only cost me £100 for the pair and I fitted them yesterday. I cleaned the threadlock off of the original OEM bolts with a die and re-threadlocked them with loctite Blue. The torque in the Haynes book of lies is something like 22nm which is bog all.

So... How does it ride?

F*cking amazing. Really bloody good. I'm surprised people who have these as their road bike/daily aren't all in jail. It's a mental loon of a bike. Admittedly mine has had a lot of the road gear removed and so may be a smidge lighter than OE but sheesh. I was doing 0.1 leptons on an NSL road and realised I was only in third gear! Shocked The brakes are transformed. The bike doesn't feel like it wants to vibrate me off over 60mph and I was able to spend a little time trying to run in my new Pirelli Rosso Corsas. It should make an ace track bike. I do need to do a couple more minor things such as give the front brakes another quick bleed and just generally check everything but I think I'm finally ready for a trackday or two.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:54 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth checking bearings too - that can also cause a vibration under braking which you don't otherwise notice.

And yes - reused many disc bolts Ideally some fresh thread lock on it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The disc bolts came out a little too easily for my liking

Yes, because someone torqued them down properly (about 23Nm). Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread lock? Doesn't this create a heat barrier and therefore one of the reasons why brake discs warp in the first place?

I've never used thread lock on any bike I've owned so the heat of the discs can conduct into the wheel.

So even when the brakes stick on and I still ride them the discs are fine. Just give them a once over now and again to check they're not loose... though again I've not had any come loose either.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Thread lock? Doesn't this create a heat barrier and therefore one of the reasons why brake discs warp in the first place?

I've never used thread lock on any bike I've owned so the heat of the discs can conduct into the wheel.

So even when the brakes stick on and I still ride them the discs are fine. Just give them a once over now and again to check they're not loose... though again I've not had any come loose either.

Significant heat transfer wouldn't get to the centre of the disc unless the disc was super damn hot. The rivets that hold the disc outer to the disc inner have such little surface area to tranfer enough heat through to the disc inner, I wouldn't imagine the threadlock would see much in the way of temperature change to have an effect.

The whole point of the floating disc is so that the braking surface area (disc outer) can change size and shape independently on the inner part of the disc. That's what the rivets are for; to allow movement.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:12 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

It seems the better solution would be to spend your time fixing the dangerous brakes, rather than checking for loose bolts! Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

So when you buy new disc bolts as genuine manufacturer's parts, and they already have thread lock applied, the manufacturer has got it wrong?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

So when you buy new disc bolts as genuine manufacturer's parts, and they already have thread lock applied, the manufacturer has got it wrong?

Uh I've never bought new disc bolts. I just undo them and put them back in.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Uh I've never bought new disc bolts. I just undo them and put them back in.

That's not his point...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

No, you still get metal to metal contact where it would have been anyway. Threadlock requires 0.05mm gap to work so anywhere it has not been squeezed out would not have been transferring heat anyway. Apart from that, bolts are steel and have vastly inferior heat transference compared to that part of the disc carrier that's in direct contact with the wheel hub.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

It seems the better solution would be to spend your time fixing the dangerous brakes, rather than checking for loose bolts! Smile

Probably.

But surely you remember the good/bad old days when bodgetastic repairs and fixes were the norm.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Yes and no.

ABE down in Greenwich for a long time recommeneded no threadlock as peaple tend to use way too much and then yes it does provide a heat transfer barrier. The only discs they had returned as warped tended to be covered with threadlock, yes the discs not just the bolts.

Pete. wrote:
No, you still get metal to metal contact where it would have been anyway. Threadlock requires 0.05mm gap to work so anywhere it has not been squeezed out would not have been transferring heat anyway. Apart from that, bolts are steel and have vastly inferior heat transference compared to that part of the disc carrier that's in direct contact with the wheel hub.

You are judging people by the way you do things. When people apply threadlock as thickly as paint it becomes a different matter.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, a little thread lock is useful insurance for the manufacturer in case someone forgets to torque the bolt down at the factory.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Not meaning to bring up old wounds but did you really just type that?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2