Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Johnson's the Cleaners - Motorcycle leathers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Johnson's the Cleaners - Motorcycle leathers Reply with quote

Anyone ever used this service before? It's pricey as fuck but they apparently restore a full set of leathers for £107. Having said that, I can't imagine needing to use this service more than once every couple years anyway.

My leathers haven't been cleaned or cared for in a bit over 3 years years, aside from maybe the odd annual wipe down. Colours are worn out at this point and it's also become a graveyard for bugs.

Wanna know if it's worth it before I give it a try, anyone used them?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't even aware they offered such a service.

If they do as good a job as they state, it's probably worthwhile but, only on the middle to high end of the market as opposed to cheaper leathers at that price.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it but balked at price. If you do it let me know how well they do because I have a scott leather jacket that really needs some love and I don't want to bin.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my leathers restored in 2010 as they had sat inside the hold of a cargo ship for 3 months and were covered in mold.

The local Johnsons cleaners actually did a fairly good job and made the leather soft and supple again. However it did still have a faint mold smell to it.

Then I put on weight/went to the gym so the leathers no longer fit.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually one for throwing cash at things but wow that's mega money. They'd have to clean them down with virgin tears for that cash. Leather cleaner and a feed, bang - and the dirt is gone. Good as new!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Dave, my leathers only cost about £400-500 odd IIRC, cheap RST tractech evo whatsits. I want a new suit and have my eye set on one particular suit but it's £1.1k so I'm holding off at the moment and might just restore these ones.

Right well I'll probably do this anyway then and post results. Likely won't do it over the peak of summer though because I don't want to be without leathers for 3 weeks during the best weather.

@arry

Any tips for cleaning the lining as well? I imagine leather cleaner would only restore the outside, but if there's a decently cheap way to thoroughly clean the lining without soaking my leathers and fucking them up completely then I'm all ears Very Happy

They do offer to only clean the interior for £40 odd quid I think but not sure.


Last edited by notbike on 22:58 - 05 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh IIRC it was only £77 back then.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Any tips for cleaning the lining as well? I imagine leather cleaner would only restore the outside, but if there's a decently cheap way to thoroughly clean the lining without soaking my leathers and fucking them up completely then I'm all ears Very Happy

They do offer to only clean the interior for £40 odd quid I think but not sure.


The full refurbishment jobby of £107 does inside and out as I understand it.

After the Ireland tour I did in non stop rain, my RST leathers decided to stink to high heaven. Sick

I stuck them in the washing machine on a delicate setting with some anti bacterial washing liquid (it may have been made by Dettol but, not certain). I then hung them on the washing line to dry out and gave them a couple of coats of leather conditioner (one coat while still slightly damp and another when dried).

The smell totally vanished and they looked a lot cleaner. No harm was done to the leathers at all and I still have them.

I also put my boots through the same process but, I wouldn't advise that as a couple of months down the line I had to glue the soles back on. Laughing
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:19 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used them but the place called Scrubbers Leathers have been going for some years now and do the same kind of service for about £70.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:


@arry

Any tips for cleaning the lining as well? I imagine leather cleaner would only restore the outside, but if there's a decently cheap way to thoroughly clean the lining without soaking my leathers and fucking them up completely then I'm all ears Very Happy.


Damp sponge down, febreze it and stick them in the freezer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this on fabrics and my boots in particular:

https://media-services.digital-rb.com/s3/live-productcatalogue/sys-master/images/h7e/hac/8815038169118/3021337.png?width=1280&height=1280
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 74.39 Kb