Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuff that is worth buying

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:18 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Stuff that is worth buying Reply with quote

Thought that I'd put together a very short list of things that have impressed me, all bike related of course, and are worth having for that time when you really need something that actually works. I wouldn't be surprised if most folk on here already use them but, hey ho....just passing the time.

I've deliberately kept it short so that others can give their own thoughts as I'm always interested to see what else is out there. Thanks.

Polish

HybridX Ultima – brings up a really superb gloss which repels water like nobody's business. So easy to apply and last a fair old time too. They have an assortment of these hydrophobic? treatments (all nano technology apparently) and it's definitely not snake oil. Makes washing the bike a doddle.

Corrosion Protection

Dynax UC is a spray on wax, ideal for keeping your classic bike pristine. Never used it on my daily ride but I guess it's easily as good as ACF50, FS365 etc.

Cleaning Solution

I still think that Sdoc100 is the best. I've tried over a dozen different solutions and keep coming back to this. Best applied partly diluted with a brush. Keeps your bike like new. HybridX also do a great cleaner but I think that it's more expensive.

Disc Protector

AHB Disc Protector - Now, this stuff actually works, but it's only really useful before winterising your bike, especially if you live up in the tundra. Spray it on your discs and they'll stay shiny. They say that it doesn't affect the pads.

Grease

Well there's loads of different types, but Fuchs Red Rubber grease is what you want for your brake pistons.

Fuel Stabiliser

I've found that the Lucas stuff you get on ebay is, by far, the most economical. I guess that's only important if you have loads of bikes (like me) but every penny counts!

Tools

The Halfords Professional series is great value and probably everyone has one of their sets. I particularly like the small 1/4” socket set which is usually available in the sales for £25, or less. It's just so versatile.

Whilst you've got your wallet out, get on ebay and buy a spring puller – one day you'll need it (might be years from now, but you'll need it).

Oh, and if you don't have it already, get some Penetrating Oil – so many uses it will amaze you.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stuff that is worth buying Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Penetrating Oil – so many uses it will amaze you.

Better than KY jelly?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Pass the popcorn

Laughing
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no use for fuel stabiliser, I drain fuel for storage as I believe an empty tank is better than a tank of watery stale fuel. I spray loads of wd40 or equivalent into an empty tank to protect against rust. The old fuel is more valuable to me as weed killer and fire lighting.

I'd only ever use alcohol/brake cleaner on brake discs, surface rust isn't really a concern, if I stored a bike outside, I'd cover it to keep the rain off, but allow air to get in under the cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stuff that is worth buying Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Disc Protector

AHB Disc Protector - Now, this stuff actually works, but it's only really useful before winterising your bike, especially if you live up in the tundra. Spray it on your discs and they'll stay shiny. They say that it doesn't affect the pads.

I used to use disc protector but found it a tad expensive.
I find powder coating discs to be far more cost effective.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used a fuel stabiliser. Thinking

I'm gonna add:
Lidl W5 chain cleaner (it's cheap, expensive stuff does the job as well)
I use it as a multi purpose degreaser (doesn't eat rubber nor plastics) and for the chain as well.

Lidl W5 chain spray (it's cheap, expensive stuff does the job as well)
I use it as a multi purpose lube (where grease would not work or wouldn't be reasonable) and for the chain as well.

Contactol and Dielectric grease
Contactol (not sure if it's called the same in the UK, it's a spray can with cleaner and lubricant for electric stuff) = a thing I use to clean and ''lubricate'' electrical contacts. Just spraying a switch and moving it back and forth fixes the issue. * When I was prepparing the MZ for MOT, the day I went to the MOT place my left turn signals were not working. I just sprayed the switch with the contactol, moved it left and right a couple of times and it worked = MOT passed. I didn't even have to take anything apart. Yes, it's that good!
Dielectric grease = a similar thing but in a grease form (not meant for switches), mostly used on the ground points and battery terminals. Also great under the spark plug caps, it keeps the moisture out.
--------
Oxidation and corrosion of electrical connections is the main reason of the most electrical trouble, putting unnecessary stress on your charging and electrical system. Corroded ground points and battery terminals also lead to various issues, even electric things burning on your bike/car.
Such oxidation/corrosion can even start a fire.

Copper grease + multi purpose grease
I don't even have to explain this one, do I?
Copper for everything, that gets hot while operating (the grease burns off and leaves a thin copper layer, that's very slippery)
Multi purpose grease, for the rest of it (it's significantly cheaper than the copper grease)

Multimeter
+ learn how to use it. The amount of times people came here and started with, my bike didn't run so I changed the battery, reg/rec and so on and that didn't help, is ridiculous!

Tyre pressure gauge
When will people learn?!

Caliper (a very precise measuring device)
+ learn how to use it.

A cheap netbook or a smartphone with internet connection
Youbook and interwebz are your mate, study things before you break them.

BCF membership

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:18 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Accurate to within an 'l', only!

What kind of calliper, to be precise? Thinking
To be precise --
as opposed to a shedload of other types Confused --
do you mean a vernier calliper gauge?

Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:28 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stuff that is worth buying Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

Fuel Stabiliser

I've found that the Lucas stuff you get on ebay is, by far, the most economical. I guess that's only important if you have loads of bikes (like me) but every penny counts!

How long do you leave bikes between running then???

My bike has been in the garage for 2 years, with the same bog std supermarket stuff and it still fires up no problem.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Accurate to within an 'l', only!

What kind of calliper, to be precise? Thinking
To be precise --
as opposed to a shedload of other types Confused --
do you mean a vernier calliper gauge?

Wink

I thought we were over this. Once again, me foreigner, me English no well. You being smart suggests, you obviously know what I mean when I say ''caliper''. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1