Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear change issue suzuki bandit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:49 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Gear change issue suzuki bandit Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help with this one. I have an 09 bandit 650. Went for a ride today and noticed when I was at high speed, I would change from 5th to 6th and it would almost get stuck inbetween gears for a second causing a high rev, then it would slip into gear a second later and I get power as normal.
It only happened between changing from 5th and 6th, only at high speeds and not every time but was consistent throughout the ride (didn't disappear when warmed up e.g).
Any input would be great. Hoping it's something simple like clutch cable oil up!
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New boots?

Shifting the 6th gear properly, firmly enough? Being a bit too excited at high speed?

I had this issue on the ZX7R, I reversed the gear shifting pattern to 1 up and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 down, solved the issue. At very high speed, just stamping on the gear shifter is easier than lifting it, for some reason.

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:38 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old boots so not that...would normally say maybe a bit too excited or not firm enough but after couple times of it doing, I became rather conscious of it, so I was then on the look out for it. Weird it's only from 5th up to 6th...didn't happen with any other gear change even when i was over excited!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you've got a worn gear selector / shift fork. That does happen when riders leave their foot on/under the gear shifter even when they're already in the top gear with no intetion to down shift any time soon. If that is the case, the selector / fork doesn't put it in the 6th gear properly and the only cure for that is either to really kick the gear in or replacement of the worn selector / fork (inside the gearbox).

https://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/tombones49_17.gif
https://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/1ae44e1.gif
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/8960/8960_032306_220000000.jpg

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:29 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the info, going to check clutch cables/oil first and if that doesn't fix it then my next step will now be to investigate the gear selector/gear box. Cheers

drthomas
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:11 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesjus wrote:
Same old boots so not that...would normally say maybe a bit too excited or not firm enough but after couple times of it doing, I became rather conscious of it, so I was then on the look out for it. Weird it's only from 5th up to 6th...didn't happen with any other gear change even when i was over excited!!

Hello

mine is also from 5th to 6th, was your problem permanently solved?

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:43 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue on the ZX7R, I reversed the gear shifting pattern to 1 up and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 down, solved the issue. At very high speed, just stamping on the gear shifter is easier than lifting it, for some reason.

How did you make this modification... sounds interesting.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

choogh wrote:

How did you make this modification... sounds interesting.

To avoid minutes of explaining stuff, this picture (3 seconds on google) explains it perfectly:*

*Attention!: It might take some getting used to it. I had reversed gear shifting pattern on every single motorcycle, that I owned. The issue came when I borrowed a motorcycle from my friend, who had the standard 1 down and 2, 3 ... up. After riding his motorcycle for a long period of time, I got back to mine. The first intersection, I accidentaly put it the 2nd gear (stepping on the gear shifter) and in the middle of the intersection (thinking I'm shifting the 2nd gear; lifting the shifter) I put it the first and nearly fell off the bike. Embarassed

Anyway, I still find the reverse (some say GP, because when you're on the track, you may do left corners and still be able to upshift with no problem) pattern better. As said, it's easier to step on the shifter than lifting it to up shift. Making downshifts (lifting the shifter) is also very reassuring. You feel the mechanical click with every downshift. There's no doubt about shifting the right gears.

I think everyone should try it. If you have a motorcycle with such gear shifter (linkage), then reversing the gear shifting pattern is a matter of 2 minutes with a spanner.

https://i43.tinypic.com/15wh0sj.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1