69%  [ 32 ]
Unsure
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 46

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:07 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counterpoint specifically for bikes is that you can ride around at 70mph+ on the least capable bikes and the most dangerous roads essentially indefinitely without ever passing a test.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Not if they're riding around in their parents car.

Not many parents are even vaguely decent driving instructors, especially with their own kin.
Most 'young adults' take sod all notice of their parents when they are being instructed (if they ever take notice at all).
So that's a tiny portion that take that route.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: overthinking Reply with quote

KTMScotland wrote:
I want a motorcycle licence like you wouldn't believe.
So did I. And that was why I forked out whatever the asking price was.

Let's get this into perspective. ~ £700, plus a few quid extra if you need to do re-tests. Lets call it a grand. You pay a grand and you get to ride whatever bike you can afford for the rest of your days. You also get to cut through traffic, ride in most bus lanes, park in places that cars can't fit, and often park for free.

Sounds like a bargain to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gosties
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I just paid a package at £550.
All lessons are 2hrs with use of School's Motorcycle

But that's for :-

Conversion Lesson

2 Mod 1 Lessons
5 Mod 2 Lessons

Included Mod 1 Test (Cover cost of a retest and use of Motorcycle)
Included Mod 2 Test

I had already previously undertaken CBT earlier this year.
Theory Test passed earlier also.
CBT and Theory cost around £145 combined with the DAS package bringing it to £695.

I don't believe it's that expensive as once you pass you have potentially decades of riding to enjoy.

On the little bike who tries !!!!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: overthinking Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Tests need to be cut back? That is the most tarded thing I have heard, I have just done my car test, no way was that strict enough for me to be let lose on the roads. An emergency stop and one reversing manoeuvre was all I done. Everything I done was the instructor was practical real world. Even the set manoeuvres I will be doing leaving or returning to my house.

As for the comment about parents car, Again, pointless comment, not everyone has that luxury, and more people use schools than parents.

Thing's I wasn't ready to drive (a cage) when I passed my test, I was ready to ride a bike as I had done a year on a 125. I do believe learning to drive isn't thorough enough, at no point during my lessons or on the actual test itself did we do an emergency stop Shocked, but the motorcycle test's overkill especially if you have prior experience (mainly referring to Mod 1).

Baffler186 wrote:
KTMScotland wrote:
I want a motorcycle licence like you wouldn't believe.
So did I. And that was why I forked out whatever the asking price was.

Let's get this into perspective. ~ £700, plus a few quid extra if you need to do re-tests. Lets call it a grand. You pay a grand and you get to ride whatever bike you can afford for the rest of your days. You also get to cut through traffic, ride in most bus lanes, park in places that cars can't fit, and often park for free.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Pre-Jan' 2013 you'd have been able to get your restricted license (assuming you had a 125) for around the price of a CBT, so it looks a bit of a rip now. I appreciate what people are saying that being taught to drive in a parents car isn't exactly the norm', but it's still a low-cost option. The equivalent in the bike world's buying a big bike, insuring it (which isn't straight forward) and being unable to ride it unless an instructor turns up with a radio.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really don't get and need spelled out for me is why you can ride/practice on a 125cc before taking a test for up to 2years before they revoke your CBT, yet you can't practice solo on a 998cc bike or even realistically insure one on a provisional licence?

Why is there the two different rules, and what makes 125cc bikes so special that your actually allowed to use one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Why is there the two different rules, and what makes 125cc bikes so special that your actually allowed to use one?

I guess lower top speed (60-70ish depending on the bike), less weight and less power to keep under control. I don't really have a problem with the learner rules with regards to power, I wouldn't have a problem if it was 250cc seeing as it's all 4-stroke now, but I don't think letting noobs out on big bikes on there own's a good idea.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:01 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the current licensing rules is there's very little incentive to get your A1 licence, okay you can ride on the motorway but on a 125... really? I'd say up to 25kW when you get your A1 so that you can actually ride in a safe manner on motorways (eg. not getting over-taken by HGVs)

As for prices my sister in the early 2010s passed her driving test, it cost her around £1600. I spend just under £800 getting my motorbike licence.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your A1 license and you don't have to redo your CBT every two years. Given that it's roughly the same price to do the A1 tests as it is to redo a CBT, it's a no brainer IMO.

Insurance might be cheaper as well if you've got an A1 license rather L plates. Or it might not be as you can go on motorways and take pillions. Laughing

Quote:
I'd say up to 25kW when you get your A1

Ah yes, those restrictors had a terrible habit of falling out. Whistle

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:21 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something, which is highly likely, but... A few months after you're 17 get your CBT. You can then ride for 2 years on a CBT. When you turn 19 do your training and get your A2 licence (which costs the same as the A1 licence). So by spending no more than going CBT -> A1 you've gone CBT -> A2.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, for the A2 license you're going to need a suitable bike, schools won't rent you one unless you pay them for a load of lessons which you might not need or if you buy your own A2 bike then you're going to have to get it to the test centre some how.

Plus 17 year olds don't want to wait a few months before they do their CBT. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
As for prices my sister in the early 2010s passed her driving test, it cost her around £1600. I spend just under £800 getting my motorbike licence.

Cost me £800 (all in) getting my car licence, and that included having to switch instructors*. Bike licence was £330 (Mod 1 & 2), so +£30 or whatever the old price was for a theory test.

*first one rinsed me a bit (but we're friends now).

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by others, the ability to ride a 125 on a motorway after getting your A1, isn't much of an incentive.
If they changed it to an A1 = up to 250 cc (somewhere in the 20/25hp range) then I can see more people doing it.

A friends GF is far too small (in her view, which is what counts to her) to ride/manhandle a big bike for her A2/A test.
She will never ride something that big (in her opinion) but she has no option if she wants to ride something bigger than a 125.
So she'll stick with a 125.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a massive loophole.....cbt @16 on ped. @17 get geared 125 and do test. 2 years later auto upgrade to 200bhp superbike of choice with no real time on road.

Closed it and then nailed the door. For all. Tough. And then made another hoop for people to jump through.
Pass car test, win lottery, buy Veyron. Only restriction there is insurance cost.

Last edited by Kentol750 on 22:12 - 06 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently paid about £850 to do DAS. That was for a day training on an off-road area (old airfield), 3hr accompanied round trip to do Mod 1, 2 full days training on the road and then the Mod 2 test (both passed at first attempt). It didn't seem cheap but if you look at the price per hour then considering that this is paying for the bike, insurance, fuel, the instructor's time etc. I didn't feel that I was being ripped off at all.

I think that in reality the instructor was charging very little for his time (I certainly wouldn't work for his hourly rate).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
There was a massive loophole.....cbt @16 on ped. @17 get geared 125 and do test. 2 years later auto upgrade to 200bhp supervise of choice with no real time on road.

That was never a loop hole, that's how it was meant to work, you have two years experience and away you go.

Cool kids jumped on a 600cc or 1,000cc straight after doing their test. Razz

The significant difference between that licensing system and what we've got now is that cops didn't know about the 33bhp rules. The bike cop who stopped 17 year old me on my ZX6R thought it was the biggest bike I could ride until I was 21. Errrr yeah, that's right officer. Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a loophole. It's how it was closed that was wrong. (Ste, it's how I did my test.)
The sýstem is wrong because of how bikes are regulated in eu, then what is sold on uk market hasn't ever matched.
90s parallel market?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
As mentioned by others, the ability to ride a 125 on a motorway after getting your A1, isn't much of an incentive.
If they changed it to an A1 = up to 250 cc (somewhere in the 20/25hp range) then I can see more people doing it.

I don't think it worked though, it was only when the rules were changing did the eternal L platers rush to get a license, I know one guy who despite 7 years on a CBT got his license on the final day of the old rules. I get your point though, and I believe there are stats that backup women are failing more having to take their test(s) on a big bike.

Ste wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
There was a massive loophole.....cbt @16 on ped. @17 get geared 125 and do test. 2 years later auto upgrade to 200bhp supervise of choice with no real time on road.

That was never a loop hole, that's how it was meant to work, you have two years experience and away you go.

Cool kids jumped on a 600cc or 1,000cc straight after doing their test. Razz

The significant difference between that licensing system and what we've got now is that cops didn't know about the 33bhp rules. The bike cop who stopped 17 year old me on my ZX6R thought it was the biggest bike I could ride until I was 21. Errrr yeah, that's right officer. Laughing

Do they know now? Very Happy I'm not sure I 100% understand the rules, I couldn't look at a bike and tell you if that conformed to the power to weight ratio. Back in the day it was a bit stupid how it was basically 'restrict' a bike to 33bhp then off you go doing 150mph down the motorway.

They should simplify it, 250cc A1, 500cc A2 (still at 19), unrestricted A (at 21 like before). If someone manages to wrestle a 2-stroke race replica away from a collector then good luck to them Razz

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even go into the power to weight....fazer Rogerborg argument.
Back to op' s point though.... is the what you can/can't ride include in instruction fees?
How about the little chat about 'how to dodge a massive excess' chat during a lesson. Saving £500 after a 'silly off' might make you think better about the hourly rate. Not everyone is clued up on everything. I learn new tricks every day.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:37 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Tests need to be cut back? That is the most tarded thing I have heard, I have just done my car test, no way was that strict enough for me to be let lose on the roads. An emergency stop and one reversing manoeuvre was all I done. Everything I done was the instructor was practical real world. Even the set manoeuvres I will be doing leaving or returning to my house.

Bike tests not car.
The theory tests are still a bag of shite.

Quote:

As for the comment about parents car, Again, pointless comment, not everyone has that luxury, and more people use schools than parents.

There are other options so long as you find a car and licence holder including getting up to the same antics as these guys.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d7771fd37e42955b28594d2d38cc6b3b/tumblr_inline_ng0wq0IZ2D1r1zekl.png

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

33bhp for two years wasn't really an issue in the day IMO. What it did was allow people that bought smaller cheaper bikes to get 2years NCB to make their Fireblade insurable two years down the line.

The issue of you could have a CG125 sat in the shed for two years then buy an R1 with no post test miles wasn't really an issue, but insurers were wise anyway and never regarded 10'000miles on a C90 as useful or appropriate to insuring a Fireblade.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

just a quick one

how many lessons did you have before you passed

did mine last year and a bit like you I had been riding bikes for years

I had 6 booked and had two before I failed the first one for a stupid mistake and then had 2 more before passing
also had the one before my tests so 12 in all I suppose

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

just a quick one

how many lessons did you have before you passed

did mine last year and a bit like you I had been riding bikes for years

I had 6 booked and had two before I failed the first one for a stupid mistake and then had 2 more before passing
also had the one before my tests so 12 in all I suppose

I think it was around 14 lessons, It would have been less. I was told to book for mid June but the earliest test I could get was beginning of July so crammed in another 3 or 4 lessons before test. Passed first time, 2 driver faults,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3