Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:29 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The Oncoming Storm (Angel in the Whirlwind, #1) and halfway through Falcone Strike (Angel in the Whirlwind, #2) by Christopher G. Nuttall

Not a bad Sifi space opera series so far.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently looking at Orwell, I'm just waiting for the books to arrive. I really struggle to get immersed with digital books so I'm going to start buying books again.

Anyway, not the reason for my posting. What do you reckon, worth a punt? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060589469/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=jordanbpetery-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0060589469&linkId=e6d1197996b1ce0a4d23d72d0332e7d2

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:09 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've just finished another gem - "Dark Matter" (Blake Crouch). Absolutely brilliant and you really should get a copy. It's like a sci-fi thriller, or maybe a multiple universe thriller type of thing. Really, really good book. One of the best that I've read.

Just before that one I finished "Engleby" (Sebastian Faulks) which is also a bit of a masterpiece, particularly if you like getting inside the minds of disturbed fictional characters. Hard to put down and definitely recommended. Follows the weird life of a student through the years. Quite a heavyish read, I suppose, but definitely intriguing.

Last edited by Oldie on 20:41 - 26 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm exclusively Kindle now, but there's one thing where it really lets me down. Being an avid reader of military history, maps are an important part of many of the books I read on various campaigns, to give an orientation of how battles progressed. But on Kindle, maps are too small to read, and unlike the text, you can't enlarge the feckers.
Mega convenient for taking away on holiday with you though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting towards the end of this. Not getting much time to sit and read these days.

Time reading this has been patchy, but its a fairly good read. Funny with some decent insights and thought provoking stuff. Fairly self indulgent.

https://s20.postimg.org/r2ml3sitp/Screenshot_2017-07-23_at_00.55.29.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Not getting much time to sit and read these days.

Judging by how much time you spend on BCF, I think I see your problem Razz

/hypocrite

And another insight on life for you Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another really good audiobook finished - "Will Save the Galaxy for Food" by Yahtzee Croshaw.

Some real laugh out loud moments and loads of irony/sarcasm etc. Wasn't sure that it was going to be my kind of thing (I mean, funny/pop/daft sci-fi) but it's great.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:24 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet more great Sci-fi Cool

"We are Legion - We are Bob" (Dennis E Taylor) is not as silly as it sounds. This is great space exploration with a touch of nicely weighted humour. Fantastic book and part 1 of a trilogy. Highly recommended Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read!:

https://s20.postimg.org/4elxf5p71/IMG_20170823_101827.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

"We are Legion - We are Bob" (Dennis E Taylor) is not as silly as it sounds. This is great space exploration with a touch of nicely weighted humour. Fantastic book and part 1 of a trilogy. Highly recommended Thumbs Up

Yep; another Thumbs Up vote from me for this series - really well presented hard sci fi, but still fairly light reading.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still reading Tolkein's The Silmarillion
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:10 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the many glowing reviews I grabbed a copy of "Extracted" (R R Haywood), a time travel thriller I guess you'd call it.

Rubbish. Nice concept ruined by ridiculous characters. How can I be so much at odds with the (apparent) mass populous?

Anyway, quickly followed by Luke Smitherd's "How to be a Vigilante". In many ways it's very good and I tore through the early chapters but then I kind of felt that he was making light of the Aspergers angle (although that most certainly wouldn't be his intention) and it made me cringe a bit. Not sure if I'm right on this one and I wouldn't put anyone off buying it. Some folks will, and obviously do, love his stuff. I might try one of his others.

Lastly, just finished my first Harry Dresden book, "The Dresden Files" (Jim Butcher) and it was fine. Not special, but well above average. Not sure if I'm into Wizardry so much to try some more though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
This.

I thought Sumner's book was better tbh -

https://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/de4bbb94.jpeg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The999Kid wrote:
Still reading Tolkein's The Silmarillion

I've tried. I've tried again. I gave up.

It's not like I can wait for the film to come out, maybe I'll give it another shot.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the 1st book, halfway through the 2nd.

Hell Divers - Nicholas Sansbury Smith

More than two centuries after World War III poisoned the planet, the final bastion of humanity lives on massive airships circling the globe in search of a habitable area to call home. Ageing and outdated, most of the ships plummeted back to earth long ago. The only thing keeping the two surviving lifeboats in the sky are Hell Divers—men and women who risk their lives by skydiving to the surface to scavenge for parts the ships desperately need.

https://i.imgur.com/AKdOCdy.jpg

Hell Divers II: Ghosts - Nicholas Sansbury Smith

https://i.imgur.com/W2rxsnu.jpg

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:15 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

Read this a while ago, now just noticed two more have be released, time to get listening if on audio Smile

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Oldie wrote:

Read this a while ago, now just noticed two more have be released, time to get listening if on audio Smile

Read 1 and 2, got 3 waiting for me after i finish Hell Divers: Ghosts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

after i finish Hell Divers: Ghosts

May give them ago after I've read the "Privateer Tales" series of books.
They sound good, are they full of the romantic crap.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

Just bought this for the Kindle on the strength of the reviews on here and am thoroughly enjoying it.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

after i finish Hell Divers: Ghosts

May give them ago after I've read the "Privateer Tales" series of books.
They sound good, are they full of the romantic crap.

No mate.

Also, check PM Very Happy

Bobiverse 3 - tis gud.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 25 of 30