BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passed my DA... so.. motorways...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:12 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the motorway this morning again. the wind wasn't that bad and I put ear plugs in.

thanks for all your advices x

Dan

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:55 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I can't work out the physics of air. Some days it feels ultra windy but you look at the trees and they are motionless. Other times in can be fairly windy but feel much smoother.

Err.. yeah, it's all to do with Whether the Reynolds Number is under 2K or over 4K... if over 4K you have turbulant flow, under 2K laminar flow, in the middle transitional turbulant flow.. all to do with the size of the passage, and the density of the air, and other stuff...

Baffler186 wrote:
I find that the rush of air through your helmet makes a big psychological difference. Riding with ear plugs (quieter) makes M/W journeys a lot more tolerable.

I wear a Shark-Evo 'flip' on longer runs; usually in the 'open'position. You are right.. to I think the wrong conclusion.. I tend to only drop the chin-bar and go 'full-face' when it's raining, or err... making shall we say 'more determined' progress.... Wink

In an open or the flip in 'open' mode; after the initial "Gawd I FEEL vulnerable" sensation wears off, a bit, it does put you that much more in touch with your surroundings, not locked in a gold-fish-bowl, even more artificial and 'virtual reality' than a car; added field of view. wind n your face and that ' can feel this' I'm IN this, sensation, is very liberating, and 'sound' is all part and parcel of that.

Riding 'open', inherently inclines me to back off a bit, relax, and enjoy where I am, rather than get frustrated wanting to be some-where else.. still in-side the gold-fish-bowl... which begs I get off the M-Way and thrill at the highways and by-ways; taking in the sights and smells, and 'be' in the environment; looking at pretty little cottages, or fields, taking note of the change of season, and what is going on about me... rather than looking at the trucks, and the audi-cochs, and thinking... "err.. is this the M5, the M6, the M42, or the M69... I seem to have forgotten.. where was I going again? OH! Fort Dunlop! Must be the M6..." they ALL look sooooo the same...

I tend to use on an 'as must' basis; say I am trying to get to an event; then direct, easy, get there on time; then, provided there's still day-light, I'll take the blind cooks tour home! Follow my nose, and explore a bit, see what's to see.... until it starts getting dark... and there's not much to be seen... then, I'll pick up an M-Way to make that last leg 'easy'.

But, dropping the chin-piece, putting in ear-plugs, or turning on the stereo, all has that counter-effect, adding to the virtual reality of the fish-bowl, that may make M-Ways more tolerable from making you feel even more 'detached', but also urges you to wind on, and just blitz them.... and getting into the habit of almost cruising at double limit.... and similar 'perception shift problems slowing down to real-world road-speeds!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:40 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Teflon-Mike"]
Baffler186 wrote:

Err.. yeah, it's all to do with Whether the Reynolds Number is under 2K or over 4K... if over 4K you have turbulant flow, under 2K laminar flow, in the middle transitional turbulant flow.. all to do with the size of the passage, and the density of the air, and other stuff...

science erection.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A *good* screen is better a bad tall one. I had a cheap tall flip on the bandit for about 48 hours and I got loads of buffeting. The oem-ish one i have is tolerable. MRA vario screens are good as you can tune where the buffeting happens, i had a vario barn door on my XV535 for a while and it was brilliant except when heavy rain at 55-60 mph was channelled into a central jet that sprayed my visor or chin vents, short term application of throttle and adjustment at the next services.

Your jacket makes a lot of difference, a baggy adventure jacket with many vents and pockets feels worse at motorway speeds than sporty smooth textiles. Leathers are win. A back protector and small speed hump either stops the jacket drumming on your back or makes it unnoticeable. RST Tractech Evo textile is my everyday jacket as it's comfortable on a windy motorway.

Adjust your mirrors so you can tuck in and still see behind. I always forget to adjust mirrors when I've got a pillion and lose the long distance. Pillion living just off the M18 does not help matters.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2