Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lexmoto Dash/Speedo not working properly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ollieroache
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:33 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Lexmoto Dash/Speedo not working properly Reply with quote

Hi, I'm very new to motorcycles and I got my Lexmoto Venom SE delivered yesterday (didnt come with a manual).

My dashboard has completely stopped working. Its electric and has frozen, and so has the speedometer. The neutral light works, full beam indicator, engine indicator, and indicators indicator work.

All ofher electric work such as MP3 player, head lights indicators ext...
In the video the speedo is meant to go to full and back, and same with the revs. The time should be updated which it isnt, and same with mileage. There should also not even be a display when off.

Is there a way to fix this?

Just the dashboard is frozen, still showing a display when off without a backlight.[/i]

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased as a private sale or from a dealer? If the latter make use of any existing warrenty while you can or kick up a fuss until you get what you want. You've purchased a melon by the sounds of it.

Most probably isn't a manual. Haynes 4871 is about as close as you're going to come. Electrics are a minefield at the best of times even on the more basic Arrow that I had in the past let alone introducing all these gimmicks.

ollieroache
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:57 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Purchased as a private sale or from a dealer? If the latter make use of any existing warrenty while you can or kick up a fuss until you get what you want. You've purchased a melon by the sounds of it.

Most probably isn't a manual. Haynes 4871 is about as close as you're going to come. Electrics are a minefield at the best of times even on the more basic Arrow that I had in the past let alone introducing all these gimmicks.

Got it from a dealer they said they'll pay for the repairs but want me to pay for the delivery, which I refuse, first of all they expected me to go 50 miles to my closest lexmoto dealer without a speedo! Not to mention they've had a whole month to deliver the bike and it was dtill late... I booked off work too. Considering I've hardly even driven the bike.

I was just wondering if its a button I've pressed on the dash thats froze it, like some sort of actual feature that I didnt realise? Idk. Because it did work earlier, however sometimes when it says its in neutral its still in gear, so obviously i let out the clutch in what i think is neutral and it just jolts me and scares the life out of me.

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sold one, the same thing happened. Disconnect the battery for a minute or so, it should allow the clocks to reset, and everything should work again. That should get you back to the dealers for them to sort it out properly for you.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is give it back to the dealer and let them work on it for as long as they need it. Any attempt to fix the bike yourself will void the warrenty and I'd consider it in your interest to keep that up for as long as it lasts (within reasonable mileage) to get the teething problems out of the way.

On my Arrow I had electrical issues all the way till the end of my ownership and eventually flogged it on because of them.

No amount of money you put into a Lexmoto will be regained or equalled at re-sale so run it as cheap as you can (within reason).

Just to point out any mechanic of value (ie: good at what they do) could fix one of these things. Everything about them is as basic as they come and take not very long at all to service (the engine waiting to cool down to do the valves is the longest part about it) and so once you've got over this hurdle if the 50 mile trip is a big issue then consider looking at places locally.

Just phone the shop and politely explain that you feel the bike isn't fit for purpose or safe to use on the road and that you'd like to come to an agreement on collection costs to get the bike from your location to theirs.

A separate issue altogether (BORG) but the fact they waited an entire month between payment and delivery is interesting. An attempt to refuse a bikes return if you say you don't want it and claim a refund? Hmm. Thinking

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer

Oh, and its a Senke Raptor if you wanna search for a user manual

Rogerborg
nimbA

ollieroache wrote:
Got it from a dealer they said they'll pay for the repairs but want me to pay for the delivery

That's standard for any vehicle, unless you negotiated something to the contrary. The warranty isn't parts and labour and recovery.

Get breakdown cover some how, wait for the initial exclusion period to expire, ring them up.

ollieroache wrote:
first of all they expected me to go 50 miles to my closest lexmoto dealer

You're going to have to accept the reality that you've bought a bike with random support, a Far Far Away dealer who will have no interest at all in actually sorting your bike, and that this is unlikely to be the last time you'll be visiting them.

How did you pay for it? I'd be thinking about rejecting it as not fit for purpose (it's not) and getting my money back while you still can. Not that I'm bagging on Lexmoto in general or in principle, but their sales are parlous post Euro4 (which means parts supply will be at risk), the price slashing has already started, and depreciation will be savage.

ollieroache wrote:
I was just wondering if its a button I've pressed on the dash thats froze it

I'd disconnect the battery or pull the fuse(s) and see if that clears it.

Have a look under the seat or under a side panel, until you find either the fusebox or the battery, and start (methodically) disconnecting until the dash goes out.

Neutral lights can be fairly random, so I'd get used to feeling for neutral rather than looking for a light.

ollieroache
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbt wrote:
Oh, and its a Senke Raptor if you wanna search for a user manual

Ohhhh thank you!

ollieroache
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:58 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Simple answer is give it back to the dealer and let them work on it for as long as they need it. Any attempt to fix the bike yourself will void the warrenty and I'd consider it in your interest to keep that up for as long as it lasts (within reasonable mileage) to get the teething problems out of the way.

On my Arrow I had electrical issues all the way till the end of my ownership and eventually flogged it on because of them.

No amount of money you put into a Lexmoto will be regained or equalled at re-sale so run it as cheap as you can (within reason).

Just to point out any mechanic of value (ie: good at what they do) could fix one of these things. Everything about them is as basic as they come and take not very long at all to service (the engine waiting to cool down to do the valves is the longest part about it) and so once you've got over this hurdle if the 50 mile trip is a big issue then consider looking at places locally.

Just phone the shop and politely explain that you feel the bike isn't fit for purpose or safe to use on the road and that you'd like to come to an agreement on collection costs to get the bike from your location to theirs.

A separate issue altogether (BORG) but the fact they waited an entire month between payment and delivery is interesting. An attempt to refuse a bikes return if you say you don't want it and claim a refund? Hmm. Thinking

Ah so would disconnecting the battery void the warrenty you think?
I appreciate the help so far though

ollieroache
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ollieroache wrote:
Got it from a dealer they said they'll pay for the repairs but want me to pay for the delivery

That's standard for any vehicle, unless you negotiated something to the contrary. The warranty isn't parts and labour and recovery.

Get breakdown cover some how, wait for the initial exclusion period to expire, ring them up.

ollieroache wrote:
first of all they expected me to go 50 miles to my closest lexmoto dealer

You're going to have to accept the reality that you've bought a bike with random support, a Far Far Away dealer who will have no interest at all in actually sorting your bike, and that this is unlikely to be the last time you'll be visiting them.

How did you pay for it? I'd be thinking about rejecting it as not fit for purpose (it's not) and getting my money back while you still can. Not that I'm bagging on Lexmoto in general or in principle, but their sales are parlous post Euro4 (which means parts supply will be at risk), the price slashing has already started, and depreciation will be savage.

ollieroache wrote:
I was just wondering if its a button I've pressed on the dash thats froze it

I'd disconnect the battery or pull the fuse(s) and see if that clears it.

Have a look under the seat or under a side panel, until you find either the fusebox or the battery, and start (methodically) disconnecting until the dash goes out.

Neutral lights can be fairly random, so I'd get used to feeling for neutral rather than looking for a light.

This is probably a bone question, but is this to be done while the electrics are on? (The key turned) or while the electrics are off? Because its still displaying even when it's off, just without a backlight as you can see in the video.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:20 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key out, disconnect the battery (or pull all the fuses). Get it as fully powered down as you can. You may have to leave it disconnected for a while in case there's some capacitance in the display unit itself.

Don't tell the dealer that you've done anything.

You might get lucky and you'll never have the problem again, or it might do it once a day and twice on Sundays.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

carefully disconnecting and re-connecting the battery (you only need to disconnect one lead from the battery) shouldn't be noticeable to the dealer.

Keep a record of communication with the dealer, what was said and when so you can refer back to it, including what you've said.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollieroache wrote:
Ah so would disconnecting the battery void the warrenty you think

I think warrenty largely depends on how friendly you are with the dealer since the list of things it doesn't cover far outweigh the list of things it does (based on memory of the list on the inside of the service manual.. or first pages thereof).

I wouldn't overthink it. Common sense says if you're out and about and get stranded because of an electrical issue (this reoccurring or another one) then you're going to want to attempt a fix rather than sit beside the road like a lemon because "warrenty." On the whole I wouldn't be attempting any large mechanical tasks but the ones that keep the bike in smooth operation are in your best interest and should be done (ie: pumping up of tyres every day when cold, lubricating parts with multi purpose grease, keeping the chain lubed, ensuring the thing is covered in ACF-50 (post your visit to the shop) and so so forth).

Again Lexmoto's (and possibly chinese bikes in general.. although is an assumption given my hands on experience of chinese bikes outside of Lexmoto are non existent) all experience electrical issues at least once and so regardless of how you get it to the shop I'd consider it the eventual target (temporary fix attempted between now and then or not).

A lubrication and securing of connections may be all that's needed, but you won't know until you get it back from them. Given the vibrations these little single bikes give out (and memories of my Arrow in particular) I'd ensure the important connections are cable-tied together post getting it back.

For FYI sakes most, if not all, wires will be either: under the seat, under on of the side panels or under the fuel tank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1