BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My MT09

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring rate is what gives you a soft long-travel feel. To change this you require a spring swap.

Cranking up preload and thus ride height will give you a higher centre of gravity and more weight transfer under acceleration and braking, making the bike feel more bouncy.

More compression and rebound damping will slow the rate of weight transfer but if you overdo it without a corresponding spring rate increase you may find the suspension doesn't return to an equilibrium point and handling becomes inconsistent.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mt09 in its first iteration was significantly under damped giving the bouncy feel over uk roads

misscrabstick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw the back shock in the bin and get an Ohlins or Nitron, you won't ever adjust the OE to feel right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two recalls on my bike, one for headlamp intermittently switching off and one for the handlebar mount. Headlamp is showing as resolved on the Yam system so just the handlebar issue to sort.

Waiting for parts at nearest Yam dealer then will book in for works, along with possible ECU flash.

On the ECU flash, the dealership I spoke mentioned that once done, it can't be undone due to the way the Yam flashing works. So for anyone considering it, it's worth thinking hard about if you really need it.
For me, I'm pretty much OK with the stock setup, don't even notice it now so might leave it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, little update on this. I spoke to the dealer before he delivered the bike asking about the throttle. Turns out that they had already done the ECU flash on this bike. And you can really notice the difference. still as responsive and torquey, but much smoother and progressive.

Win

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
So, little update on this. I spoke to the dealer before he delivered the bike asking about the throttle. Turns out that they had already done the ECU flash on this bike. And you can really notice the difference. still as responsive and torquey, but much smoother and progressive.

Win

Thumbs Up

Do you still get the cracks and pops on the regular not just when over-revving? That's one charactistic I've never had on a bike before and I really like about my MT09.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

On the ECU flash, the dealership I spoke mentioned that once done, it can't be undone due to the way the Yam flashing works. So for anyone considering it, it's worth thinking hard about if you really need it.
For me, I'm pretty much OK with the stock setup, don't even notice it now so might leave it.

This is true with the vast majority of flashes. Once the OE data is gone you can't usually go back. Might be worth looking at a piggy back module (PCV, Bazzaz, etc.)

On the suspension. Hyperpro's Streetbox might be worth a look, but it's a pig to get to the pre-load adjuster on the MT09 once it's fitted, which is something to bear in mind. This may be the same with other after market shocks too, it's down to the packaging of the rear shock on the MT09.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

Do you still get the cracks and pops on the regular not just when over-revving? That's one charactistic I've never had on a bike before and I really like about my MT09.

Stick an Akra on it and that will be 10x more pronounced plus some

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/2/2a/Beavis-fire.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100516070521

Cool

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Stick an Akra on it and that will be 10x more pronounced plus some

I have an akra system, albeit with the baffle in. I love the pops and crackles I get even on a relaxed ride around town. I'm concerned that with an ECU flash those lovely noises will be diluted or only present at higher RPMs.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the race pipe, it's ludicrous. You don't get any of the aural drama with the stock pipe. Mines bangs less without the baffle btw.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have the race pipe, it's ludicrous. You don't get any of the aural drama with the stock pipe. Mines bangs less without the baffle btw.

Good to know Thumbs Up . So assuming you've had the ECU flash done and it's all good?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines how it came out of Fowlers, no idea if it's been reflashed or not, I don't struggle with the throttle responsiveness.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha. i'll bite the bullet and do the flash.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Win

Thumbs Up

Do you still get the cracks and pops on the regular not just when over-revving? That's one characteristic I've never had on a bike before and I really like about my MT09.

Remember, I have the Tracer version. And also, mine didn't crack and pop before, and dosen't now! However. I do miss it. I used to love the noises my Street Triple made. Actually miss Kermit!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine didn't with the stock pipe. Does now.

https://i.imgur.com/D2yUHLIb.jpg

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mine didn't with the stock pipe. Does now.

https://i.imgur.com/D2yUHLIb.jpg

But can you do this?
https://s20.postimg.org/fh1fmmzbh/Screenshot_2017-07-30_at_00.25.04.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2