Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FM radio using headphone lead ad aerial. How to improve?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: FM radio using headphone lead ad aerial. How to improve? Reply with quote

Is there a way to improve the performance of fm reception when its headphone wires acting as the aerial. My new Bluetooth headset has FM which is great but reception can be patchy. I know the shape of aerials is important and wonder if by fitting the headphone wire inside the helmet in a certain way (twists or bends in shape) might improve the reception performance.

Cheers

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think FM is just a straight line. (ie, not a loop)
I'd imagine, the longer the wire and the more area you can cover with it, the better.
The lid itself might be blocking the signal. Can you blu tack it to the outside and try that? Not a long term solution, but might help work out what to do.
You could also use an extender (male 3.5mm to female 3.5mm), the longer wire might help. Even if you just ball it up and stick it in your pocket / backpack.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I'd imagine, the longer the wire and the more area you can cover with it, the better.
The lid itself might be blocking the signal. Can you blu tack it to the outside and try that? Not a long term solution, but might help work out what to do.
You could also use an extender (male 3.5mm to female 3.5mm), the longer wire might help. Even if you just ball it up and stick it in your pocket / backpack.

The wire connector on the headseat is a mini usb type so not really extendable but the helmet might be a problem its carbon fibre and fibreglass so im not sure.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Is there a way to improve the performance of fm reception when its headphone wires acting as the aerial. My new Bluetooth headset has FM which is great but reception can be patchy. I know the shape of aerials is important and wonder if by fitting the headphone wire inside the helmet in a certain way (twists or bends in shape) might improve the reception performance.

Cheers

The wavelength should match that of the signal being received. 100MHz is 3 meters, so a 3m length of headphone would probably be quite good. Failing that some fraction of it 1.5m, 0.75m etc. You could try running a longer cable around the helmet, maybe 30cm or so. Make sure it's not too high a quality cable though or it might have proper shielding and such.

A few days ago I found out that my phone and ipod both have an FM radio and the results weren't too bad.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
fatjames wrote:

The wire connector on the headseat is a mini usb type so not really extendable but the helmet might be a problem its carbon fibre and fibreglass so im not sure.

Helmet will not block the RF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a buger the connection is the usb'ish thing. If it had been 3.5mm jack-plug i could have tried using a splitter to connect another wire purely as an aerial. I found some advice on another site which suggested this as s solution. Also was suggested that when mobiles use headphone lead as an aerial its just acting as half an aerial for some electricary reason radio hams understand. Im going to try the splitter with my mobiles FM radio to see if it works just for curiosities sake.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a real pain, why not install Tune in Radio App? and use a bit of your monthly data, radio doesnt use much up like watching videos etc.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
If its a real pain, why not install Tune in Radio App? and use a bit of your monthly data, radio doesnt use much up like watching videos etc.

I dont connect to my smartphone on the bike only to my work phone so that's not possible. Thanks for the pointer to that app though.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
bugeye_bob wrote:

I dont connect to my smartphone on the bike only to my work phone so that's not possible. Thanks for the pointer to that app though.

Depending on the connectors you have available you could just use a normal handheld radio placed on the bike. I'd never remove my phone from my person on a bike, you need it with you in case you have an accident or someone nicks it or something.

£3!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Mini-AM-FM-Receiver-Pocket-Radio-Built-in-Speaker-BC-R20-Silver-Black-/322572265898?hash=item4b1ace29aa:g:Ba8AAOSwFJBZXeAs

This one is DAB and has a DC input jack too, so you can wire it up to the bike. Just get a variable switching regulator off ebay, stick it inline with a switch and fuse and check its outputting the right voltage. Looks bigger though, maybe too big.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOGIK-LRNDAB14-PORTABLE-DAB-FM-RADIO-LCD-DISPLAY-BLUE-MAINS-OR-BATTERY-POWERED-/311891315696?epid=1038956864&hash=item489e2bcbf0:g:A4UAAOSwFe5XyJt0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1