Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen bike recovered: insurance claim???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

elce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Stolen bike recovered: insurance claim??? Reply with quote

hey everyone

first post, wish it was something more positive Shocked

had my (first, YBR125) bike stolen last night. Sad

police found it and I recovered it today. I'm surprised it's not in worse nick.

one side cover is missing where they got into the battery etc.
ignition block/barrel is missing
petrol cap cover prised off
few other scratches and dings

won't start yet. just got it back. tried fiddling with exposed wires for ignition but can't get any life. tried kick starting but no joy.

Any advice on what to do re: insurance? £200 excess and I was planning to sell it on soon anyway as I'm doing the direct access.

repair it?
or
take the hit on excess and see if insurance will take it off my hands so I can use the cash to trade up once I've passed my full test.

any advice much appreciated
cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you told the your insurance company (if you haven't yet don't). I'd be inclined to fix it up cheap and sell it on.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this. Where about are you located?

I'd say don't claim, short term (minor) gain but long term premium hikes, made worse for you as you'll be a new rider/licence holder. You'll pay back anything you make on a claim many times over.

I say you do the repairs yourself and sell it on, can't be too expensive for a YBR as parts are readily available and the damage doesn't sound too bad. Chances are you'll get the same money as an undamaged one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if it would cost more than £200 to rectify, and I'm a firm believer of only telling insurance companies the bare minimum I absolutely have to. They are not out to help you, they are there to make money. Mention it to them, and they will be milking your cash teats for a good few years.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ^^^ said !!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:51 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stolen bike recovered: insurance claim??? Reply with quote

elce wrote:
YBR125

Sorry to hear it. What's the age and mileage? Unless it's under about 3 years old (kickstart?) I'd be minded to bodge it back together and punt it on. If you do that, then don't tell you insurance anything: even if you don't progress it as a claim, they might still record it as a loss that you'll be expected to declare.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:55 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Thieves aren't often clever.

Someone tried to steal my RXS, it took me ages to work out what they had done, mainly because of how fucking stupid there theft attempt was.

They ripped the terminals off of the horn wires striped the wires then twisted the ends together Laughing

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stolen bike recovered: insurance claim??? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
elce wrote:
YBR125
under about 3 years old (kickstart?)

Custom has a kickstart.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add really. YBRS are easy to work on, cheep and parts are plentiful. So as suggested, It would be much better to fix up and sell it on. But to stress what everyone else has said, really, do not tell the insurance.

Any pictures of the damage?

EDIT: Obviously don't tell us actual location, but where abouts are you, ie. what county?

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 17:27 - 11 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
But to stress what everyone else has said, really, don't not tell the insurance.

Thinking

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
But to stress what everyone else has said, really, don't not tell the insurance.

Thinking

Embarassed Opps. Edited!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
They ripped the terminals off of the horn wires striped the wires then twisted the ends together Laughing

I blame the Tories and their cuts to education. Thumbs Down

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Bike Thieves aren't often clever.

Someone tried to steal my RXS, it took me ages to work out what they had done, mainly because of how fucking stupid there theft attempt was.

I have the only Striple that wasn't successfully stolen. A friends CBF125 was saved because they couldn't break the steering lock. Makes me wonder when (some) people on here talk about deliberately making it easy for bike thieves Thinking

elce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:10 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Really appreciate your comments. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Bike is 09 (with kickstart), up in Edinburgh.

Police have said that bike thieves are going crazy just now. Guy who came to take my statement was running out the door after 20 mins as they were about to take a house of someone they thought was involved (probs not in heft of my bike specifically but).

And keep the insurance well out of it! Cool

I'll have a bash at fixing it up myself. Will post some pictures over the weekend.

Cheers guys!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

elce wrote:
up in Edinburgh.

Oh lordy, you poor bugger. Yes, we're familiar with the situation there. Sad

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 09 YBR from new for my first bike, a great bike to start on.

You should be able to get the cosmetic parts cheap and cheerful BUT, the significant cost will be in a ignition barrel and petrol cap lock.

It could be hot-wired to get going, but if you plan on keeping it then a new key and locks will be required. Enquire at a Yamaha dealer before deciding what to do because it could be more than the bike's worth.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get cheap lock sets on Fleabay and Aliexpress. I did my old YBR with one when the local scrotes failed to hotwire mine. You may need to get little creative with the wiring, most of the sets were for the older (pre '08 or '09, can't remember) bikes.

You'll need to get the security screws out to change the barrel, they're in with blue Loctite, and they'll fight you all the way.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently changed the barrel on the Ybr custom. Easy enough job in the end. But dippy is right, the security bolts wont make it easy for you, but with a little patience its definitely doable.

https://s20.postimg.org/h5m30ssb1/IMG_20170712_140211.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/t8reod3d9/IMG_20170712_142619.jpg

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scythe wrote:
but if you plan on keeping it then a new key and locks will be required. Enquire at a Yamaha dealer before deciding what to do because it could be more than the bike's worth.

If you enquire at a Yamaha dealer, it will be more than the bike's worth. On the other hand :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Switch-Gas-Cap-Seat-Lock-Key-Set-fits-Yamaha-YBR125-YBR-125-2005-2009/141683958415

£15.15.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^

That's exactly what I fitted to mine when the scrotes had a go at her. Works well enough.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1