BCF: Bike Chat Forums

June 2017 new registration stats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its just the inherent costs of passing tests etc.
I'm lucky enough to have a decent job and it still hurt my pocket with the whole DAS and leathers/helmet etc. that's even ignoring the fact I spent a lot more on tests/lessons/bikehire than I should have.

If I was in a worse off position I probably (definitely) wouldn't be riding.

Parents will usually pay for kids to learn to drive to get them independence, as well as putting them on their insurance. Things like black boxes also helping to get 17-20 year olds into cars.

(advertisement is also a factor I think, not mainstream enough to attract the masses.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Parents will usually pay for kids to learn to drive to get them independence, as well as putting them on their insurance. Things like black boxes also helping to get 17-20 year olds into cars.

I'm sure that's why car insurance's so high, because they know the bank of mum and dad will usually help them with their first car. Bikes are normally a tougher sell.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

I'm sure that's why car insurance's so high, because they know the bank of mum and dad will usually help them with their first car. Bikes are normally a tougher sell.

Skepticism aside I can tell you that's practically never been the case. Rates start to rise and cheap underwriters get drawn in, make a huge loss and rates start to rise and we're back to square one.

The bigger players only have a hand in the market for young drivers to build up 'family' marketing links and future support.

It's really not a profitable sector - it hasn't been for 15 years. It's also getting significantly worse because of young driver behaviour - standards are at their lowest in as long as I've seen the results.

Further, the Ogden rate change by Ministry Of Justice relates mostly to long term care receivers. Who are the longest term receivers? The injured young.

A perfect storm is being reached there, with Gibraltan markets already going out of business. Bloodbath ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arry, are you saying that most of the really big players in insurance services would get out of the car/vehicle market if they could tomorrow? If it's not profitable then why stick around?

Also the thing about car insurance being so extortionate for young drivers, are you saying that the huge premiums they charge don't come close to offsetting the high payout in this sector due to young drivers accident rates, risk taking and poor standards of driving? Is good driving not an educational thing that should be taught in schools maybe? It's an activity of high responsibility for the young, and of high risk/yet it gives these people so much back in independence and earning potential, and social benefits too.

Seeing as all new cars are boring, and crap and that the roads are too busy to have some silly fun on, not to mention that all young drivers are closely monitored by black boxes and restricted hours etc, there's not really the incentive for young lads and girls to tool around, no scope for modifying generic euro boxes, and if you did not only could you not insure them, in today's world they'd be illegal due to the strict noise and emissions laws effectively stopping any decent mods being done. Add to that the fact that cars to the young as well as everyone else are now seen as an appliance for A-B (albeit one with connectivity and infotainment) and that 24/7 transport gives young people a massively better lifestyle in terms of getting to bigger social scene/ allows distance relationships, and facilitates being able to do much more in life, earn more from more interesting jobs and get more sex, I don't see why the young want to fuck it all up for themselves.

TL;Dr, I think cars are a social life enhancer and a helping tool for earning money for the young people now. They see them more in this way and should appreciate what they've got from driving too. I don't think they are seen as a toy/pulling machine or a street cred earning Street racing machine like they used to be in my day. If young today are sensible/alert/considerate and grateful to be behind the wheel, insurance prices should come down? In my day it was nothing like this and your car or bike was everything to making you the man or a fucking loser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Skepticism aside I can tell you that's practically never been the case. Rates start to rise and cheap underwriters get drawn in, make a huge loss and rates start to rise and we're back to square one.

The bigger players only have a hand in the market for young drivers to build up 'family' marketing links and future support.

It's really not a profitable sector - it hasn't been for 15 years. It's also getting significantly worse because of young driver behaviour - standards are at their lowest in as long as I've seen the results.

Further, the Ogden rate change by Ministry Of Justice relates mostly to long term care receivers. Who are the longest term receivers? The injured young.

A perfect storm is being reached there, with Gibraltan markets already going out of business. Bloodbath ahead.

The thing's it wasn't that bad ~10 years ago, I'd say only in the last half dozen or so years premiums have gone insane.

To throw some real figures out, I remember getting quoted £1200 in 2005, thought f**k that, by the time I'd passed in 2012 I was being quoted £2800 Shocked

I guess that's where my doubts come from, you always hear (even older) people talking about having an accident early in their driving career, either the numbers did massively shoot up over a very short period or something else happened.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2