Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quick Licence Question?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Quick Licence Question? Reply with quote

So my old man got his licence in in 85. As far as we know that means he can ride a 50cc without a CBT, but needs one for a 125, which currently he has. But he does not have a full motorcycle licence.

Inspired by the DVLA thread, I have just had a look online out of boredom/interest as he has a host of other stuff e.g. articulate lorry etc and saw this.

But, looking online it shows this. Does that mean he can get any size Tricycle?

https://s20.postimg.org/ifoycysel/IMG_20170714_131828.jpg
TYIA. Thumbs Up Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:27 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could.

But, the main query is why would he. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
He could.

Indeed that is the question. Insightful as ever lol.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't those Piaggio MP3s classed as tricycles?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunna send him this.

https://s20.postimg.org/5quntama5/Screenshot_2017-07-14_at_13.30.33.png

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

only if the front wheels are over a set distance apart,

There are, I believe two models sold, one for mopedists who don't like putting their feet down and one for car drivers who don't want to sit in traffic but don't want to do their CBT

There are also conversion kits to make one into the other but the DVLA go by the frame number so doesn't achieve anything

all of the above is based on an article I read in a magazine in the barbers last time I went for a hair cut

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:

There are, I believe two models sold, one for mopedists who don't like putting their feet down and one for car drivers who don't want to sit in traffic but don't want to do their CBT

There are also conversion kits to make one into the other but the DVLA go by the frame number so doesn't achieve anything

all of the above is based on an article I read in a magazine in the barbers last time I went for a hair cut

If the distance between tread centres is less than 18", it's classed as one wheel, so one version is a bicycle, the other is a trike.

I haven't had to use it yet, but I made up a tool for measuring the precise distance, as I can't MOT the trike version, because it's a different classification that I'm not qualified for.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
He could.

Because they are fun in a funny way Paddy. I suppose you have to be a poseur to ride one but I loved mine (so yes, I am a poseur) Laughing . It used to draw crowds wherever I parked it, even more so with a trailer attached. Cool

https://s5.postimg.org/tl4h14sqf/Trike.jpg

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny it's marked as an A unless they're automatically switching people from the old B1 to A for trikes.

Shaft wrote:

If the distance between tread centres is less than 18", it's classed as one wheel, so one version is a bicycle, the other is a trike.

I haven't had to use it yet, but I made up a tool for measuring the precise distance, as I can't MOT the trike version, because it's a different classification that I'm not qualified for.

Where did that garbage come from. Common sense say the piaggio things should fit into both categories.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

Shaft wrote:

Where did that garbage come from. Common sense say the piaggio things should fit into both categories.

Most recently it's an EU directive and can also be found in the MSVA regs, but it actually dates back to the 60s (which is why I gave the measurement in inches instead of millimetres - 460) and the invention of the light van with twin wheel axles.

IIRC, the rules were changed after pressure from haulage companies, to put twin wheelers in a different (cheaper) tax and weight category.

Piaggio are just one of the companies that have exploited it.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:28 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can yes, but its highly recommended he does a CBT or some lessons on a scooter so he knows what its like to ride a twist and go trike (i think thats pretty much the only sort of trike that is commercially available).

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick Licence Question? Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

He can yes, but its highly recommended he does a CBT or some lessons on a scooter so he knows what its like to ride a twist and go trike

Tracer1234 wrote:
So my old man got his licence in in 85. As far as we know that means he can ride a 50cc without a CBT, but needs one for a 125, which currently he has.

Yeah, thanks for that. Neutral Rolling Eyes

+ Used to ride bigger bikes when the licencing was different back in the day
+plus is on his 2nd cbt

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, anyone that passed their car driving test before 1st Jan 2013 can drive/ride a Trike on that licence.

If you didn't get your driving licence before 1/1/13 then you need to pass a full 'A' bike test to ride a trike (although some engine size restrictions may apply etc etc..).

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I made up a tool for measuring the precise distance, as I can't MOT the trike version, because it's a different classification that I'm not qualified for.

It's only in the last 2 or 3 years that the DVLA got arsey about Class 3 MOTs.
There aren't many places about that do them anymore... Mad

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Shaft wrote:
I made up a tool for measuring the precise distance, as I can't MOT the trike version, because it's a different classification that I'm not qualified for.

It's only in the last 2 or 3 years that the DVLA got arsey about Class 3 MOTs.
There aren't many places about that do them anymore... Mad

What annoys me is that the system hasn't kept pace with rest of the World.

In the days when the vast majority of three wheelers were cars with a wheel missing, the current system was fine; now trikes are mainly hacked up bikes and have far more in common with them.

This means that to qualify for a Class 3 ticket, I have to do the Class 4 (car) course, when it would now be more relevant to include it as part of the Class1/2 qualification.

Unfortunately, there is no budget for updating the bike test procedures, so this isn't likely to change for the foreseeable; the upside to which (for the consumer) is that the bike test isn't likely to get any harder to pass for a long time.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:02 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to the MP3 things, to avoid wait times some unscrupulous dealers simply added a spacer to separate the wheels to the required distance. If you're gonna buy one from the used market (can you still even get them new?) make sure you take a good, long look at the V5 and try to figure out what exact category it's registered under.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
As I understand it, anyone that passed their car driving test before 1st Jan 2013 can drive/ride a Trike on that licence.

If you didn't get your driving licence before 1/1/13 then you need to pass a full 'A' bike test to ride a trike (although some engine size restrictions may apply etc etc..).

If you passed your car test before 2013 you can ride/drive trikes (bike based or reliants or whatever). If you passed after then you can't drive/ride a trike without a full A licence.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:07 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

But what about that Rainpal/KappaViper you were going to buy him for christmas?!

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

I don't think that they are. There's two classes: The LT and Urbane versions can be ridden on a car licence because of the spacing of the wheels and they have a foot brake. The rest sit under a regular motorcycle license (or CBT if it's the 125 overpriced bag of shit that I had.)

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
If you passed your car test before 2013 you can ride/drive trikes (bike based or reliants or whatever). If you passed after then you can't drive/ride a trike without a full A licence.

Isn't that what I said?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
temeluchus wrote:

Isn't that what I said?

Like I can be arsed to read through the usual bcf wall of sperg!

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ride this trike:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORMULA-1-F1-JPS-SPORTCYCLE-TRIKE-ROAD-LEGAL-HONDA-BLACKBIRD-1200-POWERED-LOOK-/122598831131?hash=item1c8b75b41b:g:lHMAAOSwXXxZSkqZ

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:38 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought trikes were given with car licences again after the conservatives got back into power but can't find any notice of it.

Shaft wrote:

Most recently it's an EU directive and can also be found in the MSVA regs, but it actually dates back to the 60s (which is why I gave the measurement in inches instead of millimetres - 460) and the invention of the light van with twin wheel axles.

IIRC, the rules were changed after pressure from haulage companies, to put twin wheelers in a different (cheaper) tax and weight category.

Piaggio are just one of the companies that have exploited it.

So all due to red tape.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:

Someone told me the same thing. There's a cager friendly model and a biker friendly model. Apparently they have a don't fall over mode or something, although the person I knew who had one said he had dropped it multiple times getting it out his garage, as the thing was so heavy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1