Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fix an electronic speedometer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

denvoyager
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:31 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: fix an electronic speedometer Reply with quote

Hi,
The speedo on my bike has started to act intermittently. I think its an 'electronic' one. Any ideas on how I test/identify the problem, please? It comes on occasionally, accurately for a few seconds ,then back to zero! Question Cheers,
Den, Wales

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, I'll just get the make, model and year information...

https://www.astrologycircle.com/images-app/mindreader.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

denvoyager
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:10 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need someone who understands how an electronic speedo works to help me with this one. They are not so different on different on modern bikes.
To try to understand this concept look at a wheel - study it carefully for a few days. Then go and find another wheel, and do the same. Try your best to figure out how they work, and what their purpose is. You don't need to know who made them, just how they work. Good luck, and
ask for help if you don't get it - that's what I am doing.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might help you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

denvoyager wrote:
I need someone who understands how an electronic speedo works to help me with this one.

M'kay.

denvoyager wrote:
They are not so different on different on modern bikes.

Say, you sound like someone understands how an electronic speedo works.

You've got a loose connection somewhere. Is it your belief that we can tell you exactly which connection goes loose on every bike?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crystal ball's at the cleaners today, so could we do this the hard way and OP tell us which make and model we're talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:38 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

denvoyager wrote:
I need someone who understands how an electronic speedo works to help me with this one. They are not so different on different on modern bikes.

You are a twit.

You want proper answers, ask popper questions.

If you don't, and you get dumb smart ass replies to dumb smart ass half questions, a) don't be surprised b) if you don't like it.. change what you do to prompt them before bawwing at folk to change what they do in response to your 'daft'.

Principle of an electronc speedo, is what's known as a click-counter; electronics count the clicks from an input signal, compare to a time base, and clicks over time gives you speed.

To display that speed, you may have a digital read-out; that may be an LED bar indicator, a segmented LED 'digit' display, could be a multi-function LCD. Could have an analogue out-put. That would likely be a direct stepper-motor driven swing needle. Before getting to whether the system is front wheel driven, rear wheel driven, transmission driven..

SORRY but 'no' they 'aren't all that differant on modern bikes... and if you are such an expert, WTF are you asking the question ow to even start diagnosng your 'problem'?

I suggest you start by telling s what the fcuk you are trying to deal with!

What Bike, make/model/year, as suggested.

Or you could possibly go find a witch doctor, get them to sacrifice a Chicken-Chow-Main and see if they can ascertain the problem in the entrails of the noodles!

Because THAT I am afraid is about as sensible an answer as your question, at the moment!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

denvoyager wrote:
I need someone who understands how an electronic speedo works to help me with this one.

I've built one from scratch using a PIC, but if you want to keep being vague, knock yourself out, I can do that too.

denvoyager wrote:
I think its an 'electronic' one.

I think it's "a wiring problem".
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:06 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I think it's "a wiring problem".

Electrical Engineer; Mechanical Engineer; Electronic Engineer & a software developer are all in a pre-production car, driving over the mountains, when the brakes fail...

The driver (A mechie, of course!) manages to keep the car on the road, and wagling the hand brake slow it down enough to get to the bottom of the mountain and 'bump' it into a snow-bank...

Electronic engineer, sitting in the back, boots up his lap-top and asks "Has any-one got an interface lead? I, told them they needed to give the processor more dynamic memory to avoid buffer errors, I'm sure if you can find me a cable I can interogate it and fix it!"

Mechie, frowns then says "I'm going to look whether there's any brake fluid in the reservoir... it's probably a blown seal."

Software mushroom, offers "I haven't got a clue what went wrong... but I think we should push it back up the hill and see if it does it again! WHAT A RIDE! Is there anywhere to get coffee? Who's going to order the pizza?"

Leccie says; "Who let him out the boot?"

However ..... Judging by OP's prior posts about his Majesty Scooter, one suspecting relays as a reason it wouldn't start, and another blaming shrunken springs for forks bottoming... my bet is ultimately 'Operator Error" somewhere along the line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: fix an electronic speedometer Reply with quote

denvoyager wrote:
I think its an 'electronic' one.

I think that if you told us what fucking bike it was at least we'd be able to confirm this suspicion.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: easy and cheap? Reply with quote

Step one- remove old speedo.
https://i68.tinypic.com/350thf5.jpg

Step two- use one of these.
https://i67.tinypic.com/55m6md.jpg

They usually only go up to 99 but who cares.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

denvoyager wrote:
To try to understand this concept look at a wheel - study it carefully for a few days. Then go and find another wheel, and do the same. Try your best to figure out how they work, and what their purpose is. You don't need to know who made them, just how they work. Good luck, and
ask for help if you don't get it - that's what I am doing.

No mate, what you need to do is tell us the make, model and year of your bike.

Try to understand that not all speedos are the same.

Some take the speed from the front wheel, some take it from the front sprocket.

So yeah, thanks for playing.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo's that take the output from a Hall Effect sensor vary greatly. The wiring schemes will vary, abilities will vary, readout will vary, display type and quality will vary. That's ignoring those that use a mechanical pickup or those that use an opto-isolator. All of these can have a digital readout.

Without knowing the make, model and year, you may as well stick your dick in it and see if that cures whatever problem you are having.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1