Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not by Bike but walking... West Highland Way

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:45 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Not by Bike but walking... West Highland Way Reply with quote

I'm due to start this in just over a week.

Any last minute advice?

I haven't done nearly enough training for it I've only done 4 training walks 7,10,11 and 15 miles and all of these were on flat ground...

Boots have been a bit of a nightmare, I was using my hitech Walking boots as they were comfy however after the long walks they started knackering my feet a bit. I went to Go Outdoors and found out they are too big and too narrow, I ended up with a pair of boots 2 sizes smaller but really wide ones.

They were great however my right toe rubs slightly. Didn't realise this until I did 11 miles yesterday. I have taken the boot to a cobblers to be stretched hopefully that will sort it. But I'm really cutting it fine now.

I'm still trying to nail all my kit down My trousers will be zip off craghoppers (3 pairs)

I have 2 pairs of walking socks (which I will wash and alternate between and only use while walking.)

I have 2 Base layer t shirts, I'm hoping to get a couple more of them too.

I have a Rab Technical Jumper thing and a Goretext jacket.

I have a sherpa van so I don't need to carry my kit I'm planning on taking clothes to change into when not walking.

I have a 30l daysack for stuff I'll need on the walk.

Will a base layer a microfleece jumper and a Gortex Jacket be enough to keep me warm while walking? I'm debating taking a thick cotton shirt too.

I'm not planning to take any kind of waterproof bottoms. It's my experience I just get far to hot in them and get wet anyway through sweat I'd rather get wet through the rain and dry out later. Is this stupid?

This is what I'll be carrying throughout the day.

2l Camelbak
Leatherman(if I can find the fucking thing!)
First aid kit,
Avon Skin So Soft(for midges)
Sun tan lotion
Phone
Compact Camera
Money/cards
USB Charger
Food
Torch
Sunglasses and hat

Too much? anything I'm forgetting/missing?

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:56 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots are new, but I will add a pair of extra laces, if you get proper strong ones, they will double up if you need to secure something.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:48 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Not by Bike but walking... West Highland Way Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Any last minute advice?

Stop over-thinking it? Wink

You're going for a walk in the UK with a van along too; negligible planning should be required!

Boots that work are the only thing I'd overly care about before - but for me the go-to army boot model I've worn half the time for the last ten years would be fine.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:37 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

freyuk wrote:
The boots are new, but I will add a pair of extra laces, if you get proper strong ones, they will double up if you need to secure something.

I do have some I forgot that. Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:37 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Not by Bike but walking... West Highland Way Reply with quote

G wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Any last minute advice?

Stop over-thinking it? Wink

You're going for a walk in the UK with a van along too; negligible planning should be required!

Boots that work are the only thing I'd overly care about before - but for me the go-to army boot model I've worn half the time for the last ten years would be fine.

This is true I'm worried I'll be up there and kicking myself for forgetting 'x'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked DEATH BY MIDGIE! Shocked Shocked

Can I have your bike/woman/drugs etc

Best boots I've used are Merrell...er, something or other. Mesh, light, mid height, Goretex. Comfortable from the off. On my second pair. Leather is probably OTT in summer.

Merino wool socks! They won't stink for a few days between washes. Bridgedale do ones that have a fairly thick sole but with short, light uppers. I wear em on the bike too. Still comfortable when wet, so if you do take a bootful in a highland bog, you won't care.

Any walking you do will help with fitness, but walking on the flat is no substitute for hills. You'll still really feel it to start with. Take your time, start with low mileages, relax and don't rush.

Whilst walking, at this time of year, you want the lightest quick-dry clothing you can get. You won't get cold walking hills while on the move, even in winter. It's when you stop you want something warmer to pull on. A light windproof top is one of my most valued hill possessions. If it does get cold, pull your warm gear on as soon as you stop. Don't wait to get the chill before you do it. You shouldn't need much at this time of year, but in the hills, the weather can change rapidly. If you get a soaking, and the wind is blowing chill, that's the dodgy bit.

But West Highland way? Yeah, eaten down to the bone by midgies in 3 seconds. It was nice knowing you Thumbs Up Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Not by Bike but walking... West Highland Way Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

This is true I'm worried I'll be up there and kicking myself for forgetting 'x'

The Card and the van sort that Smile.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont knock it but i find running trainers great to walk in, in summer months as they also dry very quick and dont sweat as much.
plus they are extra comfortable in fact i walked up ben nevis this year in running trainers

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:02 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smidge insect repellent is the current choice for decent protection. The Avon stuff apparently doesn't work now as they changed the formula (apparently) but Smidge is fine and I actually use it myself.

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
dont knock it but i find running trainers great to walk in, in summer months as they also dry very quick and dont sweat as much.
plus they are extra comfortable in fact i walked up ben nevis this year in running trainers

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

You'll find you're feet swell after a day's walk, after a couple of day's walking it's not uncommon to need a boot size bigger, so beware those boots that are rubbing your toes now. The WHW is easily doable in trainers in summer, it's a well maintained path the whole way, with no real technical or hard sections.

As mentioned, stop overthinking it, just get out there and do it. I've done it 3 times, it's Scotland's longest pub crawl.

The last time I did it I took a poncho rather than a jacket. Way more breathable so less sweaty, and can be thrown on over the rucksack. Other than that, a micro fleece and a windshirt is ample.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parson wrote:

it's Scotland's longest pub crawl.

Can I come too? Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:37 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Smidge insect repellent is the current choice for decent protection. The Avon stuff apparently doesn't work now as they changed the formula (apparently) but Smidge is fine and I actually use it myself.

The bottle I have is old so I should be OK, my missus bottle though... Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots have been a total fucking nightmare, I got them stretched which cured the rubbing problem but totally fucked my Arch support Rolling Eyes

The left boot fits perfectly, now I have no support on my right foot. I've been fucking about with solutions. I've been soaking the back of boot and drying it quickly as this is supposed to shrink it. I leave wednesday night Laughing Basically I only wanted front stretched but the whole lot has been done, I'm trying to shrink the back 3/4 of the boot now.

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When buying walking boots for multiple day walks the advise I received, and always follow is...

Take the insole out, put your foot on it and you should have a thumbs width between your toe and the end of the insole. This may make the boot feel too big, but you should be able to pull it in with the laces, and will allow room for your feet to swell.

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the only thing that works for midges is something with DEET in it, preferably 50%.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Boots have been a total fucking nightmare, I got them stretched which cured the rubbing problem but totally fucked my Arch support Rolling Eyes

The left boot fits perfectly, now I have no support on my right foot. I've been fucking about with solutions. I've been soaking the back of boot and drying it quickly as this is supposed to shrink it. I leave wednesday night Laughing Basically I only wanted front stretched but the whole lot has been done, I'm trying to shrink the back 3/4 of the boot now.

Try getting a leather/gel insole, I normally take out the one the boot provides, put the gel insole and on top the original one, creates a tighter fit.

Anyway get plenty of plasters and do not wait for any rub to become painful, as soon as you feel one, apply a plaster. If there is something that totally destroys the enjoyment of a walk are problems with your feet. Because of van, I will chuck a pair of trainers in your rucksack just in case.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

Anyway get plenty of plasters and do not wait for any rub to become painful, as soon as you feel one, apply a plaster.

Until I found a boot that was comfortable from first use, I used to take some thick (about 1/2cm) sticky back felt pad, available as a sheet from some pharmacies. As I prefer a mid height boot, it was usually around the ankles where it would rub; sticking some of this stuff in the appropriate spot on the boot itself relieved the problem quite effectively I found, until the boot broke in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1