Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

(video) Unusual noise when running and turning off

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

prcsc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: (video) Unusual noise when running and turning off Reply with quote

Hi there guys,

I have been following this forum for a long time now, but never had the need to really post anything. I have found the forum extremely useful, so thank you all.

A couple weeks back, my ninja started making a weird noise when running. This noise has increased over time. I though it could possibly be low oil pressure, so I decided to change the oil, and oil filter at the same time.

Yesterday I ran the bike and the noise is still there.I have uploaded a video in Google drive - https://photos.app.goo.gl/mJ1b4zCOw1Djcg0z1

If you pay attention, the noise start when I turn the bike on. It's kind of a mixture of soft grinding and low whistle. Please watch until the end because it also makes an unusual noise when turning the bike off. Both noises started at the same time, so pretty sure they are related.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be?

Thanks in advance.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the starter motor pinion to me but wait for more experience peeps on here.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stopping noise sounds like a starter motor so I wonder if the starter motor fails to disengage properly and is being spun by the engine. Faulty solenoid? Thinking Not sure though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prcsc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:17 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could I try then?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely starter motor. To me it sounds like its still trying to turn over the engine when you stop the engine until you switch it off.

If you have the kill switch on, can you still turn the engine over on the starter motor? If you can, start the bike then stop it on the kill switch and see if the starter is still turning it over.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Definitely starter motor. To me it sounds like its still trying to turn over the engine when you stop the engine until you switch it off.

If you have the kill switch on, can you still turn the engine over on the starter motor? If you can, start the bike then stop it on the kill switch and see if the starter is still turning it over.

I'd go with this, simplest of all make sure starter button is springing out.
Once had total panic after sticky mud got in mine and when started next day oil light was on and 'strange noise from engine'.
This was 1000 miles from home in France too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run your bike like that it will wreck the starter very quickly and the starter gear too, possibly causing broken engine cases.

At first I thought it was the starter clutch not disengaging but it actually sounds like the starter is still under power whilst the engine is running.

Suspect the solenoid first, since it's that which supplies power to the starter.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Don't run your bike like that it will wreck the starter very quickly and the starter gear too, possibly causing broken engine cases.

At first I thought it was the starter clutch not disengaging but it actually sounds like the starter is still under power whilst the engine is running.

Suspect the solenoid first, since it's that which supplies power to the starter.

I agree with that, but if the solenoid was stuck wouldn't it try to start as soon as you turned the key?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pete. wrote:

I agree with that, but if the solenoid was stuck wouldn't it try to start as soon as you turned the key?

Yes it might unless somehow it's back-feeding power into the pull-in coil. It's very odd for sure, one of those things that is hard to diagnose online but you'd figure out in ten minutes with a multimeter if it was in front of you.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The others have pretty much covered it. I just wanted to say well done on a first post that gave us everything we needed, a good description of the problem and a video. Noobs could learn well from you Thumbs Up

prcsc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Yes it might unless somehow it's back-feeding power into the pull-in coil. It's very odd for sure, one of those things that is hard to diagnose online but you'd figure out in ten minutes with a multimeter if it was in front of you.

Oh wow, thank you all for the input!

I do have a multimeter. I will do some testing this weekend and report back.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

prcsc wrote:

Oh wow, thank you all for the input!

I do have a multimeter. I will do some testing this weekend and report back.

You get out what you put in Smile

Disconnect the starter supply lead from the solenoid and try the button. If the solenoid pulls in but doesn't drop out when the button is released then check the solenoid feed (the small wire that sends power to activate it. If that wire stays live when you release the button suspect the button, or the alarm/immobiliser if it has one fitted.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:28 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
or the alarm/immobiliser if it has one fitted.

Wild thought, does it have one of those Cyclone / NCS alarms with a remote start?

prcsc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:48 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pete. wrote:
or the alarm/immobiliser if it has one fitted.

Wild thought, does it have one of those Cyclone / NCS alarms with a remote start?

No alarm. I have Hot Grips though, connected directly to the battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1