Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done a park run, but I did the park run course with park runners on Thursday night.

So, timed mile last Sat.
Gentle run,walk,run Sun.
5k run Mon.
trail ride Tuesday, and then a group 10k but I ran to and from the start point also, an exta 5k
3k run Wed

5k park run route Thursday, with a very fast 1 mile mixed in,, ran to and from the start point, so an extra 5k

then today I went trail riding, and then a trail run tonight
https://www.strava.com/activities/1073893351#

weights, dips, etc are slacking off Embarassed Crying or Very sad
but this time last year, I slacked off everything in July and August, so better anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran 13 miles tonight in just under 2hrs 8mins.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1078766096
In the rain. Half marathon training.

Ran on my own before and after my run clubs 10k, dropped down to the slower group for the 10 k.

So, I know I can do a half marathon, just got to keep on keeping on.

Oh, and an ouchy, and I used vaseline too......

https://s25.postimg.org/612ahj3wf/19989388_10154507849281207_8350735267548427000_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday had a lunch warmup run 5k. Evening ran again on some trails, another 14km. Will attempt half marathon distance in one run, soon.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of this year in and out if hospital, had surgery on my shoulder, spine is falling apart and one of my kidneys keeps playing up so I've taken the sensible decision to run the Chester marathon in October.

Been trying to keep fit, lost some weight in hospital so I'm on week 4 of my training plan and already doing 10kms under 50 mins. Pretty happy with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday did 8.5km at lunch to warm up, first 5km was painful. Did 18.5km trail run in the evening, was overgrown, legs got shredded by brambles.

27km, most I have done in one day.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

new shoes Very Happy

https://www.brooksrunning.com/dw/image/v2/aaev_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-BrooksCatalog/default/dw89227378/images/ProductImages/110241/110241_455_a_ZM.jpg?sw=600

Not sure what to do tomorrow. 21km hilly trail run with 650meter climbing, or 5-10k flat road with local runners

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

did 3.1km run at lunch. Sore legs, had to stop. No good as a warmup.. a lunch run usually helps.

18km evening run, 560meter hills climbed Very Happy Legs were sore the first 10km! overusing shins and stress on tibia.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started wearing compression sleeves on my legs on some runs, and after a hard run, sitting with ice packs also. I find it helps.

I'll probably do a flat 10k with my club tomorrow and be in the faster group, might even try and push at the front and loop back for the slower ones.

Only did a 5k trail run on Sat since my half marathon distance last Tue.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get some compression legging things. Im told it helps endurance and recovery, but mostly because my legs are getting shredded by brambles and bitten all over Sad I prefer to run in shorts, fear that if I wear these my legs will melt.

Freeze gel is amazing stuff, helps for the 20 mile ride home wearing leathers after a run. Also great if stung/bitten.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Ran 13 miles tonight in just under 2hrs 8mins.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1078766096
In the rain. Half marathon training.

Ran on my own before and after my run clubs 10k, dropped down to the slower group for the 10 k.

So, I know I can do a half marathon, just got to keep on keeping on.

Oh, and an ouchy, and I used vaseline too......

https://s25.postimg.org/612ahj3wf/19989388_10154507849281207_8350735267548427000_n.jpg

Good luck with the half marathon training - I'm starting my training now for the Lincoln half marathon in October. Last year I did 1:45.05.
That 5 seconds Sad

Ouch.

Vaseline is next to useles though, in the rain. I tend to pop some KT tape on if it's a long run and it's raining. Prevents any rubbing, and decent KT tape won't come off with sweat/rain.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a hilly half yesterday with 500 meters climbed. Lots of rest and some sprint training in the middle with local group of runners. Need to do it again for a decent time. Got back in time for a short 200 meter swim.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back from a rally,

managed two trail runs of about 5k each, with a little bit of hills involved

and got an hour or two of off roading on private land in too

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.strava.com/activities/1105370392

Must ran 13.6 miles in just under 2hrs5mins

Ready for the half marathon on Sept 2nd now

Afraid everything else is on the back burner, stopped with all weights etc

Still, sept to Dec I can get back into shape 😀

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like shit. Monday ran 8km then had a massage. Half way though I got a tickle in my lungs, its evolved into the worst chesty cough Ive had for years. Thursday tried to run it out, 8km, climbed some hills, not pleasant. Another 6km trail run tonight, half bottle of whisky, some codine and benylin down me. Heart rate bouncing in the red, Im exhausted, but I think its almost gone.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 15km monday and was caughing up blood in my snot. 5km trail tues. Yesterday was too wet, missed a race and training.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I ran 13.4 miles in just under 2hrs and 2mins

did the half marathon distance in a 2hrs 22 seconds, could've beat 2hrs but part of the last segment was a trail run and the light was fading, bulk of it was with a group.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1127241498

Whilst my running has been improving, I had let myself go a bit, focus on running and not enough on other exercise and slacking off my healty eating a bit.

Last 11 days been watching what I ear very carefully and hitting the weights again, whilst upping the running.

Should drop 4 or 5 kilos before the half marathon on the 2nd Sept, but will creep up a bit after, but not much.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on 4.5lbs at this week's Slimming World weigh in. It was my best friend's wedding last weekend and that was ultimately what I was slimming for, so I let myself go wild.

But now I have fatty's remorse. So I am trying to lose that 4.5lbs before the next weigh in.

Aside from good eating, I do cycling. Usually about 15 miles. As I failed spectacularly, I thought I'd better double the effort, so I ended up doing 35 miles today. That's definitely my limit for now. I'm absolutely battered.

https://i.imgur.com/aRnJ3vfl.jpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday ran 16km. Weekly total only 22k Im aiming for 50, but the weather has been shit. I might go for a quick one before lunch.

500km done this year.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this thread turned into a "who's run what?" Thread?
I've been a bit lax with my fitness training lately.
However over the last few weeks me and a few of the lads have been having a good weekly session at the gym.
That along with trying to be a bit more physical and eat a pie or two less is making a small difference Thumbs Up
My mentor has been pushing me and my endurance is getting better.

I hope to go back to Krav Maga in September, so that and my weekly sessions should? Make a proper difference.
I really want to improve my endurance.

We started to include a little bit of Pilates into our sessions to improve our agility and flexibility.
F*ck that is harder than you think when you're a fat old stiff old man Shocked Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well 2016/15/14 et al

it was mostly the who can lift the most thread Razz

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done anyting for two weeks. Persistant ankle injury means running isn't happening at the moment so I've been pedalling instead. Strangely I've dropped back to 74kg this week. If I focussed I don't doubt I could be lighter and stronger. Winter is coming and cross country or CX might be on the cards.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 60 mile sportive on saturday, hit a new record of 3320 ft of elevation. finished in 3:53, which was not bad, I recon I have knocked 20mins off that if wasn't windy

Swam 766 yrds this morning, I don't swim too well (I wouldn't drown but I wouldn't stand a chance in a race) so I working on that I aiming to build up to a mile

Ran 2.6miles this evening, Had over a year off from running after hurting my knees last time, so I'm starting C25k again and building up running slowly

hopefully I should be fit enough for a sprint distance tri next summer.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with over 40's suddenly getting really into their running? I've been doing it on/off over 5years, mostly during cold winter months, but as I close in on the 4 0 figure, I've pretty much decided to fuck running off as im not suddenly going to get good at it.

I've got a couple of 3mile ish circuits that I can walk, so 2-3 nights a week after work, I'm doing my evening Walks and it gives me time to think of mad cap escapist thoughts or ideas for diy or tinkering projects.

Im gonna get back into my swimming and weekend mountain biking instead of waiting for winter. But running is off my friend list for now.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 40 yet

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good at running, above average - just. With WAVA etc, I can use an age adjusted handicap doo-dah to get a score.

It's cheap, and I don't belong to a gym. I belong to a club which is free an organises itself through social medai, I get motivated by running in a group, and it keeps me healthy, resting heart rate is about 52, and gets me out the house.

I never will be a body builder type, though I do want some muscle growth and have lost focus on that as the approaching half marathon is on Sept 2nd.

According to Men's Health Sept 2017 magazine I am;

Below Average

Bench Press
Squat
Body Weight Squat
Dead Lift
Pull Up

Average
Shoulder Press

Above Average
Plank
100M sprint
Sit Ups
Press Ups

Tried a whole load of new exercises last night including

Swiss-Ball Touch "With both hands resting on top of the ball, arms extended and legs straight out behind you, tense your core and slowly ift one arm to tap your opposite shoulder"

Swiss-Ball Stability Dips

Tiger Press Ups, which is a sort of half plank half press up and really burned!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10