Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking at XV750 (1992) Could the electrics be knackered?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Looking at XV750 (1992) Could the electrics be knackered? Reply with quote

Hi all,

EDIT: (Please see last comment for update on the electrics)

EDIT 2: (Apologies, this is probably more for the Workshop section, I'll start a new post there).

In my quest to find a replacement for my poor old GPZ500 that a cretin reversed into, I've been looking at a few bikes (hence previous posts).

I know a cruiser would make me look really tough, would get me loads of respect from other bikers and I'd love an opportunity to wear my arseless chaps in public more, so imagine my excitement when I saw a Virago 750 for sale near me.

I'm going to see it tonight and was wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to what to look for when I check it over?

It's a 1992, 42k miles and (from the pictures) looks to be in good condition. It's MOTd until September - I know an MOT, especially one that old, means pretty much nothing.

I'd be using the bike pretty much everyday, including commuting anything from 15-50 miles in total - obviously reliability is a big concern as I don't have any other form of transport. I'd also like to do a bit of touring at some point (around 200-300 miles each way) are my needs a little too much to ask of a circa 1992 virago with 42k miles on it?

Also, does anyone know where I could get some tassels (preferably pink) for the handlebars?

Cheers.

Last edited by alex965 on 23:55 - 17 Jul 2017; edited 2 times in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: XV750 for commuting/making me look really cool? Reply with quote

alex965 wrote:
Hi all,

In my quest to find a replacement for my poor old GPZ500 that a cretin reversed into, I've been looking at a few bikes (hence previous posts). ... I saw a Virago 750 for sale near me.

If the GPZ500 was too fast/powerful for you, then I guess the 750 Virago may suit you better ... Wink

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised its not already rusted to a brown stain on the driveway. Commute it through a winter and it WILL rust away to a brown stain etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:20 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Surprised its not already rusted to a brown stain on the driveway. Commute it through a winter and it WILL rust away to a brown stain etc.

Is it not just a case of wasting it in acf-50/wd40 regularly through the winter?

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vague memories of the starter bits being a bit fragile. I'd want to hear it start from having a totally cold engine and then many more times when it properly hot, listen for rippy, screechy, grindy noises etc.

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:56 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Virago is no worse, nor better than any other bike in regards to " brown stains" on the drive way...Clean it WD40 as required it's good to go !!
There is/was a fault with the starter clutch, however, there is an after market mod( <£100) that fixes it.
For commuting and "ride outs", providing your not a knee down arse up merchant there a fine reliable bike.
Just my experience. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I went to see it earlier - turns out it's cosmetically a bit ratty, but nothing crazy, the frame etc. has no rust that I can see on it. I had a quick test ride and everything seemed to work as it should EXCEPT - both left hand indicators were flashing a bit fast. Is that a big thing?

I'm really tempted to go for it - but this indicator thing is making me hesitate - it also makes me worry about the state of the other electronics as well...

The cosmetics (tears on seat and dings in the tank) don't really bother me, he's not asking very much for the bike.

Any thoughts, especially regarding the electronics?

Cheers all.

EDIT: Also, saw what looked like two black wires that had been snipped and taped hanging down by the engine - I have no idea what those where and forgot to ask - that worried me a little.

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 06:22 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs, stops as it should, all lights go off and on as required, why are you worried?
Your paying little money for a riding bike, if you want total confidence, go buy new..Or get a guarantee from the seller.
Electrics can be fixed if they go wrong as indeed can most things.
Stop worrying over snow flakes...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

choogh wrote:
Your paying little money for a riding bike,

Has he mentioned a price?

If the price is right etc etc ...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect finding spares to be a nightmare. I had a 535 and trivial jobs kept getting held up waiting for parts from japan if they were even available. Bought a '92 model in 2012 with 34k on the clocks. Starter cluthc, starter motor, some fueling issues, coils. Rewired most of the loom. Replaced exhaust. Replaced all of the control cables. Big end failed catastrophically after 3 years. Usual old bike drama I guess.

Aside from the exhaust, it was fairly rust-proof, and bolts weren't particularly cheesy. Build quality was quite high as Yamaha were going after harley by making the best bike they could.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered that the TCI box across the virago range is very fragile, a damaged coil can fry them and there aren't any OEM spares available. There's a few guys in the US that rebuild them and if you don't mind chipping epoxy of a circuit board it can be done. Consult Virago Tech Forums for the insight of opinionated americans.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:42 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a 1996 xv750 for almost two years, it lives outside, AC50 is your friend, the starter problem was on gen 1 bikes 81 to 84 ish. It makes me look cool as fuck although I have no chaps or tassles but you can even get floorboards with a fringe wtf!

I got a new oem front header pipe from fowlers for mine £109

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:29 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice - I took it all on board and had a good think.

For the record, he was asking for £900, but I could tell he wasn't getting much interest - I reckon I could have knocked a couple of hundred off the price.

In the end I decided to go for what I am familiar with, and got the best GPZ500s I could find for a grand. I've ended up with a mint condition 17-year-old example with full mot, encyclopedic service history and 20,000 miles. It rides like a dream and I can relax, knowing it is likely to never let me down when I need to get to work (as long as I look after it).

One day I want to own a cruiser, but with the budget I had I knew I could only get a ratty one.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex965 wrote:
One day I want to own a cruiser

There do seem to be quite a few clearly sexually confused people around with the same thoughts....

Laughing

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
alex965 wrote:

There do seem to be quite a few clearly sexually confused people around with the same thoughts....

Laughing

I agree, the chicks I know love cruisers and hate sports bikes, how very strange.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
I agree, the chicks I know love cruisers and hate sports bikes, how very strange.

'chicks' ..... Really? Laughing

I agree that women rarely like sports bikes though.

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
alex965 wrote:

Laughing

Tarquin said all the boys at the club prefer cruisers.

Realistically - I just like 'retro' bikes. I'd take an Enfield Bullet or a Bonneville (not the 'America' model, which looks daft) over a cruiser - which is what I'll do....eventually.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1