Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Insurance questions Reply with quote

I got into a crash a few weeks ago on the bike, driver admitted liability for SMIDSY. I presume my policy continues? Do I need to notify them of it being written off If I repair it and put it back on the road?

I understand that I will need to reapply for a new V5 (£25?). Also, the DVLA will reimburse me for the remaining Tax and I then need to buy it again?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the policy continues if you're claiming off the other person, at least mine did (I think if you claim off your own it ends). Don't think you need to tell them anything, if you buy back the salvage and put it back on the road (again I didn't).

Don't know why you would need a new v5c (that's a new one for me Very Happy)? Tax continues AFAIK, might be better off SORNing then re-taxing depending on how long the claim's going to take/bikes gonna be off the road.

Nevermind all that, where's your entry in the spill counter? Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also dunno if this applies to you: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=320808 Careful it doesn't fall under Cat' B.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've claimed via your insurance then speak to them, the claim may end the policy as 'we've paid out' it may continue even though you've claimed.

Do you still have the V5? if so you don't need a new one, however the write off will show up on the new V5 when you come to sell it (or if you move and update)

Do you know what category write off it is? apparently A&B shouldn't be fixed and the DVLA won't issue a new V5 for it (however if you still have the bike and can repair it and get insurance for it then carry on!

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, wasn't sure on tax I noticed someone on a different forum said you had to cancel and re-apply, no idea why.

Not sure whether it will be a CAT B or CAT C at this point, looking like it might be a CAT B according to that link though Sad

I was knocked out so I can't remember much of what happened that week, so my crash post would be pretty useless, and I am hopeless at paint! Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Not sure whether it will be a CAT B or CAT C at this point, looking like it might be a CAT B according to that link though Sad

I was knocked out so I can't remember much of what happened that week, so my crash post would be pretty useless, and I am hopeless at paint! Laughing

I'm not 100% sure on the new categories, before if there was no frame damage it would be C or D and you were fine putting it back on the road (you could technically a Cat' B as well before they stopped issuing V5s for them*). The new categories seem to suggest almost a totting up system which's kinda strange, so engine + fork damage could equal a B Confused

*obviously a bit of an issue when it comes to selling it

We don't score on quality, we score on effort. Get in there: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317490&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225 Wink

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the inspector didn't look closely enough at the frame to see whether the frame is bent or damaged, which might make me believe he's writing it off as CAT A or B Sad

The forks were twisted, engine cases punctured and bodywork damaged.

Any idea how to post pictures now photobucket has stopped working? I'll make a post but don't know how to post images.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

so engine + fork damage could equal a B Confused

I think the thing says if "major assemblies cannot be safely repaired"

You could safely repair forks with new parts..? I'm not what at what point a repair becomes a replacement? ie, original yoke protector, new stanchions, springs etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Well the inspector didn't look closely enough at the frame to see whether the frame is bent or damaged, which might make me believe he's writing it off as CAT A or B Sad

The forks were twisted, engine cases punctured and bodywork damaged.

Any idea how to post pictures now photobucket has stopped working? I'll make a post but don't know how to post images.

Shouldn't be an A unless it caught fire but who knows, with the old system they seemed to apply whatever they were paid to felt like.

fatjames wrote:
M.C wrote:

so engine + fork damage could equal a B Confused

I think the thing says if "major assemblies cannot be safely repaired"

You could safely repair forks with new parts..? I'm not what at what point a repair becomes a replacement? ie, original yoke protector, new stanchions, springs etc.

I dunno, I would have thought the only thing stopping you from replacing the forks (and yokes) would be frame damage. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, with the iffyness I'll probably avoid Category 'S' bikes in future, as frame damage isn't exactly an easy or cheap thing to put right.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1