Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which place?

So that I can avoid it.

Try Pole Position Motorcycles in Westcliff if they've got anything that takes your fancy. Good guys and weren't at all awkward over test rides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick update from the trader Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
When I asked if I could have a test drive tomorrow I got the following response from the dealer. Ordinarily this would put me off but there aren't many of these bikes around.

"Unfortunately used bikes aren't taxed,also our stock bikes aren't covered for test rides,the bike rides as it should and will be supplied with a 6 month warranty."
Question Rolling Eyes

https://media.tenor.com/images/9572068327d675cf0fa2231da619aea3/tenor.gif

Whole point of dealer's to test drive/ride the sodding vehicle. I understand if they think you're a time waster, but f**k that for a policy.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:27 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick update from the trader Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
the bike rides as it should

How would they know, if it's not taxed and insured?

I'd rather pay less to test a private sale bike myself than give a dealer a premium to lie to me.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made offers with dealers, but I always get that guilt thing that although the price I want to pay or think is a decent deal, is usually alot less than they can do it for, because of margins and overheads etc. Bottom line is if I really liked the bike that much and the dealer did his very best that's all I can do mate, I might think I'll buy it seeing as he's nailed so hard to the wall.

With private bikes, I'd just offer what I think the bike is worth and if that's not a fortune less than the advertised price then it might be happy days.

If you went to see a mint RC30 and the seller said I want £7k for it, you'd be a bit of a cunt to argue IMO.

I've seen some bikes I liked alot in pics, but up close seen saggy chains and sprockets, weeping fork seals, worn out brake pads, a saggy shock, and oil leaks, and or a bit of badly cracked bodywork that they carefully avoided in the photos etc. Sometimes I've only felt able to offer half the asking price if there's say £5-600 worth of stuff to put right.

If the seller was a nice bloke, I've made excuses and walked, as I didn't want to offend them. I Lost out one of my all time ultimate strokers this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how the only bike I've test ridden put me off a bike I might otherwise have bought (an MSX). The cars/bikes I've bought without driving/riding have been fine, well the XR was a POS but that was mainly due to noobness, the faults were there to seen.

I see that being an acceptable risk of private sales, after a few private purchases you've probably saved the cost of a lemon over dealer markups. But as above taking that risk from a dealer doesn't make sense Confused

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb to guarantee you get what you want.

If he asks for £3000.

You offer to give him £3150.

He grab your dosh..

It always works for me. Thumbs Up Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't put trade plates on demonstrators though do they. Perhaps only an employee can ride the bike on those plates. In fact I've never ever seen trade plates on a bike.

My Trophy is an ex demonstrator and is still on the same plate.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:22 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've never ever seen trade plates on a bike

+1. Has anybody else?

When I test-rode my current machine, bought from a dealer, I can't say that the issue of road tax even occurred to me. Presumably the bike was untaxed; if so who was committing the offence - me or the dealer?
Thinking about it, unless the dealer were to re-register in their own name every vehicle they sell, is there even a mechanism for taxing such a vehicle?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:25 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Thinking about it, unless the dealer were to re-register in their own name every vehicle they sell, is there even a mechanism for taxing such a vehicle?

Trade licences, but I agree, I've never seen a bike with trade plates.

The offence for VED is "using or keeping", there's no "cause or permit" as there is for insurance:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/part/III

On that, how many people verify that a vehicle that they're testing (or riding during training) is properly insured? I never have.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2