Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tell me about your helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: tell me about your helmet Reply with quote

Anyone tried the Icon Airframe Pro? Is it a quiet lid? Whats your opinion on it after a few months use?

I'm looking for something quieter than my AGV K5 as i'm on the road a lot but also dont want to spend tree-fiddy +

Cheers Thumbs Up

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as a universally quiet lid? Or does it depend on how it fits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC RPHA 10+ is my current lid, had it now or about 2 years. Came from an AGV K3 SV.

The HJC fits so much better for me, not as much wind noise as the AGV had. Only gripe is in heavy rain, where the upper visor seal lets water through after about 10 minutes, thus foggy streaks on the inside despite pinlock. Other than that no complaints. Will probably get another when this one has served it's purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:04 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

misleading title. tempted to downvote Very HappyVery Happy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Only gripe is in heavy rain, where the upper visor seal lets water through after about 10 minutes

In one way or another the same can be said for the HJC RPHA ST, sounds like a theme throughout the line. I've no idea if its the seal or the fact I have to crack the visor open and then shut it once on the move and the helmets inability to vent causes the problems with vision but it happens nonetheless to a dangerous level, at times.

I'd consider ear plugs, your bikes set up, your position on the bike and perhaps the need for a wind collar to be added into the equation.

I think, for me, the wind collar (the part found on touring jackets that wraps around the neck and forms a complete picture between the underside of the helmet and the neck collar) makes the biggest difference. I commuted without it for a short time and found myself getting ear ache to the point of questioning if I'd damaged my ears for not wearing ear plugs permanently, I put it back on the jacket and I'm back to normal. I use it in all weathers (the warmest included... most the time, varies on the day) and wouldn't be without it.

Just don't get a shark skwal. Thumbs Up

Helmets are a minefield, I've given up attempting to find the one and settle for what I wear 99% of my riding time now. I don't think anyone's quite got the formula right, yet.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
HJC RPHA 10+ is my current lid, had it now or about 2 years. Came from an AGV K3 SV.

The HJC fits so much better for me, not as much wind noise as the AGV had. Only gripe is in heavy rain, where the upper visor seal lets water through after about 10 minutes, thus foggy streaks on the inside despite pinlock. Other than that no complaints. Will probably get another when this one has served it's purpose.

That's also a problem the k3 sv (my previous lid) and my current K5 has.. after a few minutes in proper rain the visor lets water down the inside. its one of the reasons i don't run a pinlock anymore.

My 'cat has a doublybubble screen on it and decent sized fairing.. It makes little difference where i place my head (unless i'm down on the tank) the noise level is the same. I wear moulded earplugs which do help and have the k5 ear inserts and chin curtain thing fitted as well.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for a quiet lid........fit earplugs.
I had a custom set made at a bike show, lovely and comfortable cost me 39 quid or something. I ride wearing an agv gt veloce which is relativley quiet but ear plugs make all the difference.
I know they are not everyones bag but getting a set of customs over the foam roll up typpe make them much better

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ see above, i do wear ear plugs. Using food safe rtv putty stuff (i got a "proper" set made once and it was the exact same stuff i paid £50 for..), a pair with headphone ear buds in and a pair without without.

They help, but don't stop the all consuming barrage of noise that wind turbulence creates.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have:

AGV K3SV: Light for a thermoplastic lid, good vents make it nice in the summer, agressively shaped rim makes more room to clamp on a bluetooth thing. Lots of room for speakers including removable pads if you need them further away. Nice lining. Pinlock sits in eyeline if tucked in. Vents leak in the rain. Visor mechanism is simple and works, can swap the plastic springs between several steps, just open/closed and open/closed/small gap. Looks much sportier than it rides. Slight oval headshape.

RPHA ST: Light, good sunvisor, easy to operate and sturdy vents but not a lot of airflow. Fits glasses and bluetooth speakers pretty well. Pinlock max is win. Metal visor locktab is breaking visors. Doesn't leak. Preferred foul-weather helmet. Rounder head-shape than FG-15, more oval than IS-17.

I have previously owned:

Shark Skwal: Lights broke due to water ingress. Visor mechanism breaks visors. Vents are sturdy and airflow is adequate. Pinlock max is win. After several repairs visors were rattling and eventually one flew open and detached at high speed. Same mechanism on the Spartan. Slightly oval headshape. AVOID

Shark Speed R (Owned a carbon and had a regular one on loan): Probably the nicest helmet I had. Great ventilation, pinlock max and a really tough visor. Carbon doesn't feel any lighter when worn, but it does change how your bike sounds. Really stable when sat up on a naked/cruiser, not so good with head down. Sides and back come down very low and I found the lower rear spoiler was catching on the speed hump of my rst tracktech evo textile, which I think is an unnecessarily over-decorated jacket to the detriment of it's utility. "Race" visor lock works well but is difficult to operate in winter gloves (which is exactly when you need to open it if you wear glasses). Slightly oval headshape. Recommended, but be sure the exterior shape and visor mechanism won't cause you problems.

HJC FG-15: Flimsy vents and leaky, nice lining. Lightweight. No room for speakers, glasses quite tight. Now discontinued. Retired due to old age. Slightly oval headshape.

HJC IS-16: All the vents do is whistle, but comfortable, pinlock not in eyeline, sunvisor works. Room for glasses. Quite heavy. Headshape slightly round and not an amazing fit. Retired due to crash.

Girlfriend has an IS-17. Plastic visor lock mechanism works well and doesn't break visors. Vents are easy to operate and sunvisor works. I'd have one but the headshape feels wrong for me (very round).

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my shoei nxr is quiet, but it's north of tree fiddy Sad

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats better? the Shoei Qwest or the GT Air?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Depends on so many factors that which is best for one might not be best for another.

Quiet in which you can not hear noise doesn't also = quiet overall. Audible noise is only part of the story.

How it fits your bonce, how it interrupts air flow over YOUR bike's fairing in the position you find yourself in behind it will have an effect.

Ear plugs all the way and hope that the lid you choose isn't leaking air in around your lugholes etc.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Have you tried them both for 'Fit'?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:47 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My airoh 109 is not at all quiet. It is probably the loudest helmet I have ever owned.

But I wear earplugs so it doesn't matter.

It is awesome for other reasons. Mainly its very low profile leading to minimal rider fatigue from high speed wind blast (a friend once commented it looks like it was painted on). Also for the fact it has a removable chinbar so fulfills the role of (and is certified as) both a full face and open face helmet.

It does steam up easily and you can't use a pinlock in one if you want to open the visor (it snags on the visor seal).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
Is there such a thing as a universally quiet lid? Or does it depend on how it fits?

And also, with the HJC RPHA10+ that I use, it reduced wind buffeting, and therefore noise, quite significantly in comparison to many other lids I've used. I found it quite a revelation in that regard.

talkToTheHat wrote:
Metal visor locktab is breaking visors.

Odd, this. When I worked at the UK distributor's warehouse, we got a lot of these visors returned for this, but I'm on my third helmet with this type of tab now (RPHA10 has the same metal tab) and never had one break Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFRiTsIXUAAvtsh.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uHvBv-_HHk

I have used supposedly used the quietest helmet EVER! Schuberth R1...still required earplugs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
[

And also, with the HJC RPHA10+ that I use, it reduced wind buffeting, and therefore noise, quite significantly in comparison to many other lids I've used. I found it quite a revelation in that regard.

i think this is what is causing it.. weirdly opening my visor makes the helmet quieter Confused once i close the visor its like a really deep turbulent noise

Bear in mind i'm talking about 70+mph speeds where this happens. Vents open or close, the noise is the same.

https://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/883/197/4f6.png

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Have you tried them both for 'Fit'?

Not yet. There is a megastore round the corner from me so i will go and have a browse tomorrow and see what fits best Thumbs Up

I could just put up with the k5

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently got the X-lite x-661.

Really comfy, no issues with noise, and has slots and space to install a built in intercom, which has been great for me. After my off, i got this, the newer model of the one before, and was able to take the intercom out and put right into the new one. Thumbs Up

https://s20.postimg.org/hmkzhdv7t/IMG_20170703_150710.jpg https://s20.postimg.org/akn1v6rm1/IMG_20170703_150723.jpg

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new AGV Corsa R. Shits noisy as fuck over 120, but I wear earplugs so its alright.

If anything, earplugs are the best thing to reduce noise. Custom moulded earplugs are amazing and worth every penny.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
noisy as fuck over 120,

Measured how? Against what?

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the HJC RPHA 11, 45th Anniversary.

Pinlock, light, comfortable, quiet, and a tinted visor to top it off. Best helmet I've owned to date.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 00:12 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Meef wrote:
noisy as fuck over 120,

Measured how? Against what?

I dunno, every now and then when I'd go fast and notice the wind noise dramatically get louder it always seemed to be at over 120mph, something I didn't notice as much with my previous helmet.

Previous helmet was an MT Blade SV. It was quieter at speed but it was fifty times heavier and would become a pain in the neck after a while, also would catch the hump on leathers when tucked in or hanging off which is distracting.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit is everything.
I'd recommend a shark speed r carbon (helmet city were doing them cheap.) Really quiet compared to my others on same bike. Wearing earplugs/in ear headphones helps a lot.
But only if it fits.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Qwest, my friend has the GT Air.
I think mine is quiet, he thinks his is quiet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2