Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tracer 700 vs Versys 650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RednaxelaPrim...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Tracer 700 vs Versys 650 Reply with quote

Hello,

So my first big bike, a very high mileage CBF1000, has been a total nightmare since I bought it, and is probably going to get scrapped.
I'm looking for a new bike now. I believe a mid-size tourer would suit me best. It's going to be used for city commuting with the occasional tour.

Both the Tracer 700 and the Versys 650 have 0% finance deals, are about the same price and have decent reviews.

Can anybody offer any insight into their pros and cons when pitted against each other?

I'm going to test ride them too, but I'm trying to gather as much information about them as possible.
I'd also be interested to hear any alternatives you might want to suggest, but the 0% finance thing is a big plus for me at the moment.

Cheers Thumbs Up

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you buying brand new because you want to or because of the 0% financing?

It's been covered elsewhere but there are cheaper routes to ownership than dealer/manufacturer financing. Think 0% credit cards and be disciplined about paying it off monthly.

Buy nearly new, still enjoy what little protection you get and spend your savings on luggage, toys, gear, etc.

It's what I did with my Tracer 700. Great for commuting around London. Haven't had time for touring yet.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these Tracer/Versays things not more like cross over cars, in that they are taller, bigger, more upright and in your face versions of an existing model, that massive style apart offer you nothing more than the Bike they are based on?

Ok a bit more weather protection, more comfortable riding position etc, but more weight, less performance and less fuel economy don't sound like acceptable compromises to me.

There was a time when serious dick waving was had in the industry over power to weight ratios, and acceleration and excitement and specifications and chassis design etc.

Fuck I miss those days now! Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:36 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Versys 650 but have not ridden a Tracer or MT series.

The Versys is a good bike, and very comfortable, but I'd like a little more power (although the parallel twin is quite grunty and lifts the front with ease). Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions just give me a shout.

RednaxelaPrim...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:22 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

155mph wrote:

It's been covered elsewhere but there are cheaper routes to ownership than dealer/manufacturer financing. Think 0% credit cards and be disciplined about paying it off monthly.

Actually, I hadn't thought about that at all... really good idea. Is there a thread about it somewhere?

155mph wrote:
It's what I did with my Tracer 700. Great for commuting around London. Haven't had time for touring yet.

Scythe wrote:

The Versys is a good bike, and very comfortable, but I'd like a little more power (although the parallel twin is quite grunty and lifts the front with ease). Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions just give me a shout.

To both of you as owners of the respective bikes, have you discovered anything you don't like about the bike or become aware of any issues that you suspect might grow into bigger problems?

stevo as b4 wrote:
Ok a bit more weather protection, more comfortable riding position etc, but more weight, less performance and less fuel economy don't sound like acceptable compromises to me.

I suppose it depends what you're planning on doing on it. If you're touring around Scotland or doing the same commuting route every
day then it's worth it. I've not ruled out getting a naked of some sort and adding some touring stuff to it though.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RednaxelaPrime wrote:
Is there a thread about it somewhere?
Just one of many.

RednaxelaPrime wrote:
Have you discovered anything you don't like about the bike or become aware of any issues that you suspect might grow into bigger problems?
I've had mine now for 7 months no complains. It does exactly what it says on the tin, so long as you read the tin, i.e. know what you are getting. It's no BMW/Triumph/Ducati but it does what I need it to do. Wasn't meant to be a keeper either. Max 2 years. Some people have complained about rust, snatchy throttle and softish suspension across the MT range but I don't ride like a hooligan so have not had issues. My only gripe is the horn button is in a slightly awkward position but that is being pernickety.

stevo as b4 wrote:
I chose the Tracer over the naked for the extra protection and larger tank. Minor weight penalty (I'm not precious) and slightly longer swingarm but still able to filter through London traffic like a boss. Search the web; plenty of direct comparisons between the two bikes if you put your faith in bike reviews. Only a decent test ride on both on roads you normally ride will help you make up your mind.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard my comments though, as I really do know sweet FA about any of these bikes, should have stayed out of it I suppose. I have sat on an MT07, was offered a test ride on it and the 9, but couldn't be arsed.

I've done about 30miles on an ER6F though, I like the Kwak, the way it drives and felt to ride. It feels a bit springy and saggy on the rear suspension though.

What I don't like about any MT or derivative is the visual build quality, or how they look after a few months use. All the plating on the fasteners looks very cheap and not good enough IMO for new bike money. Im just a saddo that feels like that about most new bikes though. I crave 90's Build quality and wish all modern bikes were as good as something from this quality over cost era like a Honda CBR400 for example.

Suppose that's why I don't like all this Tracer business as to me it's adding some extra features and gimmicks but they are no better made for the ££££'s they cost. I ain't cutting it with current bikes that's for sure.

The power/weight/spec thing or lack of, and why it's not the primary issue for many is also lost on me, as I don't need or use my bikes and all I got in life is the fact I'm a sucker for a nice sexy bit of machined aluminium billet or some expensive anodised brackets or titanium tubing etc. what anything is like in reality or for cranking out the all weather miles on is of no concern to me, and I'm just a magpie attracted to shiny things I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RednaxelaPrime wrote:

155mph wrote:

Scythe wrote:

To both of you as owners of the respective bikes, have you discovered anything you don't like about the bike or become aware of any issues that you suspect might grow into bigger problems?

I've owned the bike for just over a year now, put about 3.5k on it. My dad previously owned it from new (2012) and we went on trips together, so I know how it was.

The Versys' engine is quite vibey, I believe this was fixed in later models but it's not really anything of discomfort, I just notice it compared to my ZX6R, but twins usually do have a bit of vibration.

The engines are pretty bulletproof, from a few years of usage across the ER6 models (Versus shares the ER6 engine and most of the chassis). I'm not aware of any specific fault with them,

The brakes as standard are not the best, but this is massively improved by fitting braided brake lines and sintered pads (I used EBC HH, but others are probably better).

Suspension is a bit soft from what I'm used to on sports bikes, but it does have good feel when pushing on through corners. Sometimes I have more fun on it (at lower speeds) than on my ZX6R, which has to be opened up more to be appreciated.

Spots of rust can appear if left dirty after a while, but nothing catastrophic, the surface rust wiped away with a good clean. The finish is easily maintained by keeping the bike clean, I just neglected it for a little while whilst away from home. Nothing out of the usual for a bike though. Mine is a 2012 bike and it still looks fine now.

Couple it with a GIVI Topbox and panniers and it is a perfectly capable euro tourer. Ditch the panniers and it is a fantastic commuter, it's reasonably thin and has great visibility for the rider. I am 5'10" and I can see around brilliantly, my dad was 5' 8/9" and he struggled a bit, but leg length differs massively.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mk2 Versys with an er6 engine in it.

Its a cracking bike.

I prefer the er6 engine character over the retuned kle, but each to their own.

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.visordown.com/road-tests/back-back-test-yamaha-tracer-700-vs-kawasaki-versys-650-review
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/group-tests/middleweight-sports-tourers

Not tried the Tracer 700 but I've had a 2009 Versys as my main bike for 4 years now, done somewhere around 35K miles. Been very good as a 'do it all' bike that I could also use for touring, had to be practical as I don't have a car. I've been around europe twice on it, camping first time, and also 2 up (but not enough room for camping gear and 2 up really). And also to Shetland 2 up, and around most of UK.

I'd characterize it as slightly boring, but predictable, and reliable. I've put a big windscreen on mine which makes it far better imo. Gear box is a bit clunky and there are vibes (which I gather is better on later models). It is quite tall so I recommend sitting on one (and the Tracer) depending on your height, I'm 5'9 and just about get by.

Issues I've had - annoying vibrating noise from the fairings, mostly sorted with some door insulating tape, coils (needed replacing), O2 sensor (although this is non critical, haven't replaced mine), dashboard switches need some WD40 from time to time. Exhausts can also crack I believe but mine have been fine. Not bad corrosion wise considering the age and I have to leave it outside sometimes (aluminium swingarm mmm).

That said as the engine is common to the ER6 line and it has been out for a decade, most of the issues have been sorted, so less likely to have any unpleasant recalls etc.

Given the longevity of the engines etc and you being a new rider I assume, I'd be tempted to go for an older versys which might come with panniers etc, and be much better value. If you are buying new and it will be your only bike, from the reviews the Yamaha might be slightly more 'fun' on a day to day basis, and lighter, which could be a bonus in most situations (not on motorway though imo), but then you have the open question of how the build quality / reliability stands up in the longterm. Overall I'd expect both are close enough that either would do you, just comes down to sitting on them / testing seeing which you prefer looks-wise etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1