Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1200R getting very poor mpg--around 30-35

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: R1200R getting very poor mpg--around 30-35 Reply with quote

Getting low 30s, despite the on board computer saying 55mpg. I am really riding it softly and babying the throttle.

Anyone know what could be wrong with it? It has 19800 miles on it so is the engine still breaking in?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be loads of things - you need to tell us more. For example, can you smell petrol from the exhaust, or have you checked for leaks from the fuel lines? Any service work done recently, maybe a new air filter and it's been reassembled incorrectly?

Probably the TPS, but impossible to say at this stage. What year is the bike?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding slow will not get you more mpg. Letting the bike warm up before moving off, if you do this, is the biggest waste that people commonly do.

Have you just got the bike or is it suddenly worse than before?

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Could be loads of things - you need to tell us more. For example, can you smell petrol from the exhaust, or have you checked for leaks from the fuel lines? Any service work done recently, maybe a new air filter and it's been reassembled incorrectly?

Probably the TPS, but impossible to say at this stage. What year is the bike?

year is 2006. Nope cant smell any petrol on it.

It is possible maybe there is a leak somewhere though... because the computer says 55mpg, and it bases this on the wheels turning so it can't 'lie', the fuel has to be going somewhere. Whats a TPS? And where are the fuel lines? Sorry I don't know shit about this bike yet.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Riding slow will not get you more mpg. Letting the bike warm up before moving off, if you do this, is the biggest waste that people commonly do.

Have you just got the bike or is it suddenly worse than before?

Just got the bike a couple days ago. It was also unused for about 6 months, it was sitting in the dealer's untouched and had a thick layer of dust on it. It did get a service though before I took it home.

Even so, the computer is saying I am getting 55mpg/roughly 250 miles to the tank and it says in the manual it bases this off the distance travelled and how much fuel is being used.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:55 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ride a litre if you are expecting fuel economy? 35mpg seems reasonable.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:32 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why ride a litre if you are expecting fuel economy? 35mpg seems reasonable.
yeah I wasn't expecting it to be as good as say a 125 but the computer says between 55-60mpg and I am definitely not getting that.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Even so, the computer is saying I am getting 55mpg/roughly 250 miles to the tank and it says in the manual it bases this off the distance travelled and how much fuel is being used.

You're fucking dreaming if you think you're going to get 250 miles from a 4 gallon tank on a BMW. Mine holds over 5 gallons and I could barely do it.

Actually wikipedia has the consumption at 6l/100km, that means you expect 300km or 186 miles from a 18litre tank, not 250.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mcn review thinks 47mpg average.
also some owners claim its a bit of a drinker round town.
the mpg computer is never going to tell the truth.
go to a local petrol station,(remember which pump)put your bike on its stand and brim the tank.(dont forget to pay for your fuel).
go for a ride about lets say 100 miles(easy on a softy like the bmw)then go back to the same petrol station and the same pump ,put the bike on the stand and brim the tank.look at how much petrol you got in.
then simple sums miles divided by litres used =miles per litre. if you want it in mpg just multiply your answer by 4.546.

tldr; computer lies

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:53 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
dont forget to pay for your fuel

He didn't pay for his licence.

+1 to Friend Computer lies, and getting your sums right. Bear in mind that your odometer and the pump might be lying a bit as well.

If it's over-fuelling, your plugs should be sooting up. Since they're nicely exposed (you'll want a coil puller) you could have a look at them if you're fussed.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

He didn't pay for his licence

I suspect this will be brought up time and again. It's not his fault though, he just had a stroke of luck. My father has full bike
licence even though he never ever did a test. It was best part of 30 years ago before doovla was computerised and he simply
rang them up and said "Hi I passed my test in 1976 and never bothered adding it to my licence if I send it in would you be so
kind as to add the entitlement?"

DVLA - "Oh, our records don't seem complete sir, send it in and we'll add the group for you."

I remember coming home from college to a smug Dad announcing he had a full bike licence. I also remember
(as I was on a 125 on L's at the time) being quite pissed that he had managed to do this because 17 year old me
wanted a full licence almost as much as I wanted to shag Maria Whittaker.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:42 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
wristjob wrote:
dont forget to pay for your fuel

He didn't pay for his licence.

+1 to Friend Computer lies, and getting your sums right. Bear in mind that your odometer and the pump might be lying a bit as well.

If it's over-fuelling, your plugs should be sooting up. Since they're nicely exposed (you'll want a coil puller) you could have a look at them if you're fussed.

meh not my fault, if I want to surrender my license the only way to do i is to either do it on medical grounds (so I give up my car license too) or do something really dangerous and get banned. Even then, my bike license is still 'there', I'm just not allowed to use it. DVLA said the decision taken by the examiner is final.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not blaming you.

Are you basing your calculation on a couple of full-to-empty tanks?

Tyres are properly inflated?

The 1200s do have a reputation for wonky TPSes, but I wouldn't panic prematurely if it's running smoothly.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuelly says you should be getting in the 40's https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/r1200r

As already stated, chasing fuel consumption can be a long game. Check all the obvious basics first. See if you've got a vacuum leak or a dislodged hose somewhere, that often wreaks havok with fuel economy.

Also, make sure you're not doing your manual mpg calcs based on US gallons.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the 1200 but my 1100 has a very small air filter. It got so cruddy one time that changing it added 20 miles to the range.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:28 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd trust your maths degree than an onboard computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did another ride around, 31 miles and the bike drank 4.63 litres... thats 25mpg!!! that's fucked up!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Just did another ride around, 31 miles and the bike drank 4.63 litres... thats 25mpg!!! that's fucked up!

Just do a tank and go from there. Measuring in 30 mile stints is pointless in the extreme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Just do a tank and go from there. Measuring in 30 mile stints is pointless in the extreme.

you think I should just go straight from full to empty and measure it? Ok, but tbh I don't see how that will really change the results.
do bear in mind this was 90% A roads I was riding in at national speed limit, not stop and start in town.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.63 litres and 31 miles is actually over 30 mpg. You need to learn maths first. Failing that;
Tank brimmed, do 100 miles of average riding encompassing all you normally do, brim tank. Tell us how many litres you used and someone will do the sums and get back to you.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:05 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
4.63 litres and 31 miles is actually over 30 mpg. You need to learn maths first. Failing that;
Tank brimmed, do 100 miles of average riding encompassing all you normally do, brim tank. Tell us how many litres you used and someone will do the sums and get back to you.

nah its definitely 25mpg

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that calculator is using US gallons, which are smaller than UK gallons? 1 US Gallon = 0.83 UK Gallons. You did 31 miles with 1.02 Gallons. More than 30mpg.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me sideways.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Also, make sure you're not doing your manual mpg calcs based on US gallons.

Rolling Eyes

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

What clothes and riding position did you choose? After all, you are a part of the equation as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2