Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda VT500EF 1986

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deano1974
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Honda VT500EF 1986 Reply with quote

I've inherited this bike from my uncle who dearly loved it. I'm not a bike person, so I'm looking for somebody who will love and value it as much as he did
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:47 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That person may exist on ebay, but those bikes are currently worth as little as they'll ever be. Fill the fuel tank, oil the locks, and stick it in the garage for a decade. It might be worth something then.

Deano1974
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:01 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
That person may exist on ebay, but those bikes are currently worth as little as they'll ever be. Fill the fuel tank, oil the locks, and stick it in the garage for a decade. It might be worth something then.

as good as that eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice enough bikes, (I had a couple of E models) but certainly not worth much.

It wasn't earth-shattering or game-changing when it was released, and they're the bikes that make coin these days. People remember the posters on the bedroom wall, and now have the money to go and get one. No-one ever had a VT500 Poster on the wall.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:49 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. At least, aesthetically. If I had disposable income and a place to store it, I'd be interested.
(That doesn't mean much though. I know naff all when it comes to bikes.)

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the VT were a cruiser type bike, whilst others were standard commuter styles (maybe these were just imports). Either way, my wife had the latter style VT250F about 15 years ago, nice enough '80s Honda, red and white scheme, did her well for a few years whilst on a stepped license, before frame rotted away (we were based on the coast then though). Just remember the enclosed disc brakes were a faff for servicing and hydraulic clutch a bit overkill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Honda did a 1-make race series for them, so they probably will be worth something eventually but they'll never get big money.

I remember looking at them when they were new and wishing I had the money for one.
A mate did get one a few years later and IIRC whilst it's true that it wasn't especially good at anything, it wasn't bad at anything either...

reavsie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bike for its time. I despatched one from brand new up to 99,600 before I sold it. I loved it.

If I lived nearer to the OP and parts were readily available I would be more interested in acquiring one.

Slim, sensible shaftie 500 - why oh why do they not make 500cc shaft drive bikes any more?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

reavsie wrote:
If I lived nearer to the OP and parts were readily available I would be more interested in acquiring one.

Although I'd guess some bits aren't readily available, David Silver probably has a fair about of parts available...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1