Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FZ6n s2 Error 46

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:04 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: FZ6n s2 Error 46 Reply with quote

Hey all,

So riding along the M4 today and my engine light comes on while "making progress" in the outside lane. Engine feels fine, I had checked levels the day before while giving it a good clean. I pull over to lane one and decide that I will pull in to Heston services to give it a reboot (I work in IT can you tell Smile). As I continue in lane 1 I look down to check the status and see all of my dash is out, no LCD or RPMs being shown, indicator indicators still work.

I pull in to the services park up, kill the bike and try to turn it over again. Bike just clicks like the battery is dead. Error code 46 appears on the odo dash. After a quick google I try pulling and replacing some fuses and connectors but nothing resets the code and as the battery sounds deaded I call for recovery.

The bike has now been dropped at Berkshire Motorcycles who are going to take a look in the next couple of days. I am thinking its either a dead battery (not taking charge) or the rectifier/regulator/generator or whatever this bike has.

I was half tempted to just get it towed home and stick the battery on the optimate but its my main commuter so I need it to be reliable and checked over.

While the recovery guy was there we started it off a boost pack and looked at some readings off the battery. When idle the volts were between 8.7 and 9.8 volts which seems pretty low but I did since read that they don't start charging the battery till 5,000RPM so this may just indicate my battery is flat, which I know already Smile

Anyone else had the same? what was it?

Sad
https://i.imgur.com/jXeNU5Y.jpg

Thanks

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet my money on the rectifier = no charging, hence the dead battery.
Could also be dead stator. Time to do some proper diagnostics =
1) Charge the battery up, put it in the bike and check DC at the battery while the engine is running
2) If nothing = uplug the stator from the charging system (3 yellow wires) start the engine and check AC between the wires while the engine is running
3) If you get good values (30-60V AC between the wires) = reg/rec dead
4) If you don't get good or any values from the 3 yellow wires = search no more, time for a new stator
------
I take it as you have all your connections and plugs clean and there are no damaged wires around.

Quote:
Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.

Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 12:13 - 03 Jul 2017; edited 2 times in total

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they work like any other charging system, median 13-14V at tickover, !4.5 after 2-3000RPM. Reg/rec prime suspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:21 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Useful things

Its at the garage now so he will be doing the diagnostics but thanks for the post. I should have just got it towed home thinking about it as the support for this site has helped me fix most things Rolling Eyes

jjdugen wrote:
Nope, they work like any other charging system, median 13-14V at tickover, !4.5 after 2-3000RPM. Reg/rec prime suspect.

Yeah so it does, I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfuF9Stpnw which shows it pretty well. I don't recall the revs climbing like that when I revved it.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same with mine, it was the reg/rec. I'm surprised it didn't blow any bulbs out; the small running lights and number plate light are usually the first to go, so check them.

probably fried battery. New reg/rec, new battery and then you'll have to check the charging system to see you've not damaged anything else.

In fairness, mine went at the start of a ride (bulbs blew) but I didn't know what it was at the time so kept riding until my battery was completely dead (and started smoking), and it still did no damage to the rest of the charging system. The bike then charged faultlessly for the next 2 years until I sold it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:11 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Garage has confirmed its likely to be reg/rec, he tested the generator and that was OK. He has also dropped the oil out to test the coils were not damaged...

So anyway he has quoted £160 odd for a reg/rec which sounds expensive to me. Anyone got a link to a trusted site that has one for less. I have done some googling and it seems you can pick them up for £80 for something that looks legit off ebay or £20 for something off banggood Smile

Thanks again.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:18 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
He has also dropped the oil out to test the coils were not damaged...

LOL WUT?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
natefz6 wrote:
He has also dropped the oil out to test the coils were not damaged...

LOL WUT?

And that's how they get you! Razz

I think OP means the stator, which is not how you test it anyway. Razz

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OEM reg/rec was £90-something off Wemoto. I got the aftermarket one for £74 I think. it's a doddle to change, so labour should be non-existent. Do it yourself

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is £160 just for the part or is that the total bill all in with labour, diagnostic time etc?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
Is £160 just for the part or is that the total bill all in with labour, diagnostic time etc?

Just for the part so + labour + oil etc He called back today and told me that the generator/stator is no working properly. He thought it was ok yesterday but on taking some readings its fluctuating between 50 and 20 magic beans. He is going to send it off to be rewound ..

Not sure if I am being taken for a ride or if its something I would not have picked up and would have ended up frying another reg/rec/battery.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm...........

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
MattEMulsion wrote:

Just for the part so + labour + oil etc He called back today and told me that the generator/stator is no working properly. He thought it was ok yesterday but on taking some readings its fluctuating between 50 and 20 magic beans. He is going to send it off to be rewound ..

Not sure if I am being taken for a ride or if its something I would not have picked up and would have ended up frying another reg/rec/battery.

Shocked

If I lived near by, I'd not only check the bike for you (easy stuff) I would also fix it (replace the reg/rec or stator). The only tool I would use to check the bike would be a cheap multimeter. The stator and reg/rec unit are generic, in terms of many motorcycles use the same parts, I can not believe how much you're going to spend to fix this issue.

The stator: 5VX-81410-00-00
Reg/Rec unit: 5VX-81960-00-00
-----
Just have a look around. Thumbs Up

I think he can tell, you don't know much about bikes and is trying to earn a few extra pounds. Also, rewinding the stator on a such generic motorcylce seems a bit excessive. Let me guess, the mechanic has a mate, that does the rewinding. Thinking

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I forgot to update this once everything got sorted...

The mechanic contacted the rewinding place and they basically told him a load of test he should do before sending it through to them as they did not think that it would be the problem as they had heard of the same before.

Turns out the remaining problem was just a flat battery, so I just got billed for the reg/rec and oil and labour.

I have had the bike back for a couple of weeks but only ridden it for one and it seems fine. I think I might invest in a motobatt just in case its the battery on the way out that caused it. Its still on its factory battery that is nearly 9 years old.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:30 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that all is ok
Also more info for me as I have a xj6n so another thing to look out for
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1