Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:57 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote

'Don't know if it's been mentioned already but Mash are imported to the UK by the same people as AJS.

Source - My mate works in the 3rd party warehouse they keep it all in.'

So the importers don't care whether its a Mash,Keeway,Sinnis or AJS that they are selling? Seems like Mash should handle their own sales in the UK if they want the same success they have in Europe as their quality and finish is better than their counterparts.(unfortunately all their prices have just increased!).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:16 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
So the importers don't care whether its a Mash,Keeway,Sinnis or AJS that they are selling?

And retailers even less. Sure, mate, sure, we'll be here to support you in the long ter- aaaand we don't sell them any more. No, mate, can't get the parts, nothing we can do. Fancy a new Whang Dong though? We'll be here to support you...

One thing you can say for Royal Enfield, the parts supply from both Hitchcocks (expensive, now) and India (cheap, soon) is excellent.

tonybaloni wrote:
Seems like Mash should handle their own sales in the UK if they want the same success they have in Europe as their quality and finish is better than their counterparts.(unfortunately all their prices have just increased!).

I'm still waiting for any off-marque brand to do that.

With the exception of the likes of Herald and Mutt who are just hipsterising cheap Chinese bikes, I don't see anyone actually trying to build a brand from import through sales to support.

I had hopes for Hero, but they've gone rather quiet.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They do take on more of their own branding, as at shows, it's gernally Mash & SWM (both Shineray owned companies) that share stand space. Just like they did at Motorcycle Live at the NEC.

THe dealer I got my Mash on, is very keen on them as well, as devotes as much space to Mash as he does to Royal Enfield

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:40 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
With the exception of the likes of Herald and Mutt who are just hipsterising cheap Chinese bikes, I don't see anyone actually trying to build a brand from import through sales to support.

Mash are just hipstering a Chinese copy of a Honda XBR400!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, started life as a Honda CB400SS, not the XBR.

Vic Davion
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:17 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can congratulate (probably) me as of Saturday I'm also the happy owner of Mash 500 or as it called in Ukraine - GEON BULLET 400

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Actually, started life as a Honda CB400SS, not the XBR.

Erm, oh no it aint!

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/14822/mash-roadstar-400-review/

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten how.much I liked panto, season if we a bit early !! Oh yes it is...

https://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/

https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2015/05/19/honda-cb400-ss-quick-look/

https://www.ridechina.com/motorcycles/Shineray_400.html

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://inforiders.pl/2017/02/23/czy-to-powrot-motocykli-jawa-czy-sen-nowe-modele-350-ohc-oraz-660-vintage/&prev=search

Honda CB400SS

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3148/3032606328_698a997c01.jpg

Mash 400 Roadstar

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/new/8055091.jpg

The engine, as in the case for the Honda CB400SS is a derated XBR500 engine

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:44 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Mash update Reply with quote

Hi Chinese affectionados and doubters all.
My TT40 has now got almost 1000miles on the clock now,only problem has been a broken clutch cable (lower nipple pulled off) which was quickly replaced under warranty.I did try my local Honda dealer for some Bowden inner cable and solder-type unions but was told 'we haven't been asked for that for thirty years,all our cables arrive in a van already made up! (fings aint wot they used to be)
The bike runs well at motorway speeds and above and is comfortable doing it with the clip=ons and screen taking wind blast to the minimum,whereas the Roadstar with its higher bars is happier at speeds around 50 to 60 although she will nearly match the TT40 if you can cope with the wind.
They both produce 29bhp which doesn't sound a lot nowadays but is exactly the same power as my old 1955 Triumph Speed twin and they weigh a lot less so as far as I'm concerned they both make a nice little package.
I haven't done quite as much mileage on the Roadstar,and as I am now a 'fairweather rider' I can't say how they will stand up to a British winter,but after seeing pictures of Linuxyeti's bike after a couple of winters I have high hopes as they are certainly finished to a higher standard than the cheap 125cc Chinese bikes marketed for peanuts.
I have noticed that the Yams,Hondas,Kawas and Aprillias are now offering their smaller (300-400cc) at very reasonable lower prices are they getting worried about the eventual Chinese market ??
Hope to get up to the NEC show in November, Mash stand is hall 3 stand 3A10 for those interested. T.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash update Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
Hi Chinese affectionados and doubters all.
My TT40 has now got almost 1000miles on the clock...

Shocked woooooooooooooow!!!

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/youre-awesome-gif-25.gif

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:42 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash update Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
almost 1000miles on the clock

Miles or kilometrons?

tonybaloni wrote:
The bike runs well at motorway speeds

Once, presumably.

I've had Chinese bikes, I'd have another, but one breakdown in 1000 miles / kiloyards may not be the ringing endorsement that you imagine.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:29 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote
I've had Chinese bikes, I'd have another, but one breakdown in 1000 miles / kiloyards may not be the ringing endorsement that you imagine.

I wasn't endorsing the bikes qualities,just recounting the experience of the first 1000 miles on a new bike -- if it falls apart during the next thousand,this forum will be the first to know about it - to much laughter no doubt! It's all entertainment! T.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:36 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words. For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash update Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
.....Linuxyeti's bike after a couple of winters I
Hope to get up to the NEC show in November, Mash stand is hall 3 stand 3A10 for those interested. T.

Yep, mine's still trundling along merrily, getting well loaded with dog food every now and then, the 12KG dry dog food bags bungied to the seat, and a top box full of tinned food, treats, and bones . It's also had more that it's fair share of dowsing over the last few weeks !! Bloody rain, still, saves me cleaning it, just wipe it dry when I get home, and it's good to go again. !!

Crap photo off my phone the other evening !

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash_bentlands.jpg

Ironage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:33 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Mash are just hipstering a Chinese copy of a Honda XBR400!

Actually the CB400SS was a transverse 4 cyl that superseded the CB350F in 1975. The MASH TT40 does a small capacity version of the old XBR500

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironage wrote:
Actually the CB400SS was a transverse 4 cyl that superseded the CB350F in 1975. The MASH TT40 does a small capacity version of the old XBR500

This Mike get interesting.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironage wrote:

CB400SS - Main difference, instead of a 2into1 exhaust on the 400SS, the Mash Roadstar is Twin Exhausts.

https://japan.webike.net/moto_news/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/L_cb400ss_2001.jpg

Now the TT40, does bear a likeness to the GB400TT

https://www.motorbikespecs.net/images/Honda/GB400_TT_86-89/GB400_TT_86-89_2.jpg

https://www.royalenfield-paysbasque.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/cafe-racer-mash-CAFE-RACER-TT40-concessionnaire-pays-basque-pyr%C3%A9n%C3%A9es-atlantiques-royal-enfield-pays-basquecom-1.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I haven't given the Mash a clean since at least March, I figured it was due a clean, well, it's still managing to avoid rusting to dust in that period, in fact, still cleans up rather well.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash_xy-400_roadstar_2015_20171015_home_1.jpg

Oh, and, if you compare the photo of my Mash, with that of the CB400SS above, I'm sure you will be able to see the lineage !!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Oh, and, if you compare the photo of my Mash, with that of the CB400SS above, I'm sure you will be able to see the lineage !!

Lineage: lineal descent from an ancestor; ancestry or extraction.

Thinking is it a descendent?

Counterfeit: a fraudulent imitation of something else,

Thumbs Up That's am bit more accurate.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was built by Shineray for Honda, as the CB400SS, as far as I can tell, it's Shineray that own the tooling, so, in many respects, Honda's badge on it is little different to Mash, Jawa etc ..

Also, even if it was Honda's tooling etc, then, a somewhat poor understanding of chinese law by Honda has been shown, which is pretty bad considering how long they have been dealing with chinese manufacturers. They are not alone of course, you'll also find, that for a lot of companies, once the tooling is in China, it is very difficult to get it out of China again ..

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2015/09/product-molds-and-tooling-in-china-three-things-you-must-do-to-hang-on-to-yours.html

However, taking that into account, and considering how much Honda do have manufactured in China, it appears, that for certain product lines at least, they're happy for the Chinese to manufacture, and even enhance older models ..

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Mash Reply with quote

There's a review in this months 'Bike' magazine of six retro bikes including the Mash 400 Roadstar which gets a good writeup ie 'bags more poke than the bigger Enfield' and it's half the price of some of the others. It's an interesting article as it heaps praise on the Mash then puts it last! Why - because it's Chinese I guess.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, have you seen the new Mash Black 7 250. I do like the look of that, but, then I also like the look of the AJS Cadwell 125

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/black-7/black-7-250cc

I'll have a decent look at it at the NEC.

https://www.dmamotors.uk/resources/Black_seven_02.jpg.800.thumb.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are your 2 400's doing? Well over 8000 on mine now, and still nothing replaced, other than normal service items, and the chain's in tip top shape still, probably helped by the tutoro auto oiler Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you crossed a naked Ducati with one of these Shineray things might you end up with a 'Monster Mash' ?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:43 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Oh, have you seen the new Mash Black 7 250. I do like the look of that, but, then I also like the look of the AJS Cadwell 125

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/black-7/black-7-250cc

I'll have a decent look at it at the NEC.

https://www.dmamotors.uk/resources/Black_seven_02.jpg.800.thumb.jpg

Jesus linux, what hallucinogenics have you been partaking of?

That looks like a shit MZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13