Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK jumps on the bandwagon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: UK jumps on the bandwagon Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

I'll probably be dead by then.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised.
Was always going to happen

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFs. Caps for emphasis. What about bikes. I want my lightcycle now!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
What about bikes.

Given the design limitations, I expect they'll just ban bikes. Kind of surprised they haven't suggested that already!
Although judging by what a ballache it's become for youngsters to get a licence and the measurable reduction in young 'uns
starting up with biking as a result. It's only a matter of time before the old lags die off and then they can quietly cull the whole
idea with little resistance. It's a pretty dangerouse pastime dontcha know... Rolling Eyes

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's a pretty dangerouse pastime dontcha know..

You're quite right actually, it is. But only because it is. Doesn't need to be.

If you think about it, we should really all be on Segways by now but because the UK government still operates on a million year old rules, you're not allowed to have things on our pavements because they don't have mechanical brakes. Oh what's that, cripplewaggens? Don't worry about them, they're special.

Personal transport devices need to be small and efficient. I'd be happy Segwaying my commute, and I'd have probably paid £4k for one if I knew I could bloody use it. Bikes aren't more fun, they're just more convenient for me than a car. That's what will eventually get people thinking properly - convenience.

All that said, you will not get me to relinquish my bike, it's mine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I'm waiting to see what they say about bikes. As usual, they don't even get any consideration in the headline announcements.

Nothing here at the time of posting:

https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/transport-emissions

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surely looking forward to exchanging my BMW for a heavier, slower, more expensive version with a much more limited range.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about plans to ban fuel burning vehicles that are used in infrastructure, such as trains, lorries, vans, etc.

It's always the general public that take the hit first. Rolling Eyes

The only press I've seen from manufacturers has been about selling electric cars. What about all the lithium that we're going to need for batteries?

What we really need is significant investment in hydrogen, both in industry and infrastructure.

Anyway, what about emerging economies? They don't tend to care about emissions, and what we do save in emissions (if it actually happens) will be blown out of the water by their own petrol/diesel car uptake.

So kinda pointless anyway, unless Hydrogen is properly developed and the wole world starts using it.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about charging all these new electric vehicles

I suspect there are a decent proportion of homes/flats without adequate/specific parking spaces to allow your on car to be plugged in at night, even those with driveways/off road parking rarely have enough space to park all the households vehicles on

We will end up with extension cables running all over the streets, and a resurgence in compo claims with everyone tripping over cables and charging points

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
And what about charging all these new electric vehicles

I suspect there are a decent proportion of homes/flats without adequate/specific parking spaces to allow your on car to be plugged in at night, even those with driveways/off road parking rarely have enough space to park all the households vehicles on

We will end up with extension cables running all over the streets, and a resurgence in compo claims with everyone tripping over cables and charging points

Stick a 2-gang socket on each lamp-post - sorted Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:07 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost goes without saying that for there to be no more new petrol & diesel vehicles, the infrastructure for charging electric vehicles will need to be in place and battery technology will need to have advanced enough so that electric vehicles can do long journeys and so that charge times are much quicker than they currently are.

Thus there won't be extension cables running all over the streets. Wink

Self driving cars should be a thing by then anyway so the car will deal with where it has to go to get recharged. Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that's the fantasy plan, lets see if it's ready in 20 years time.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I get older and more of this, pie in the sky, bollox emanates from the authorities, the more likely it becomes that I'll simply, remove my number plate not bother with tax, MOT and insurance and carry on as I deem fit.

I predict:-

You'll never be able to get in your autonomous car, after a skinful, you'll still be held responsible for any consequences.

The current grants, perks and discounted VED on electric vehicles will disappear once take up reaches a certain point, you'll save no money at all in the end.

There will be "Zil" lanes for the authorities to use, in their ICE vehicles.

A massive program of road pricing.

Prolonged and regular power cuts.

Your vehicle being controlled remotely by the police/hackers or the six year old from next door, take your pick.

You're all doomed, I tells ya, doomed!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
^ that's the fantasy plan, lets see if it's ready in 20 years time.

Indeed, and considering there are still large areas of the country without internet/mobile phone signals, i'm rather sceptical myslef

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:47 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 2040 the white man will have Dhimmi status and won't be allowed by the Muslim council to have anything more than a bicycle.

The majority "Daesh" party in Westminster will repeal this ban on petrol and diesel in 2040 because it is "Racist towards the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia". Saudi princes will continue to tear-arse around Knightsbridge in Lamborghinis, with complete impunity.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the argument we won't have the power generation capability let alone the infrastructure to distribute it, I really hope to buggery some manufacturers come out with hydrogen combustion engines because I'm sure there will still be a number of people willing to pay a premium for internal combustion engines (aside the fact the government will probably ban them even though their exhaust is basically water vapour Sad ).
There is still the storage question but it's not much worse off than current battery issues...

Christ alive, sometimes I really hate the west. Time to look into migration :-\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might happen by 2040 is all very interesting but for lots of people, this will present a much greater problem!!

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/soon-your-iphone-wont-work-while-youre-driving/

Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

You're all doomed, I tells ya, doomed!

We are all dead!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:10 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

If Adam Aarons doesn't save us then by 2040, another 235,986,000 motorcyclists will have died in traffic accidents on motorbikes. Shocked

Which means whether or not you'll be able to buy a new petrol car in 2040 should be the least of your concerns. Wink

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What might happen by 2040 is all very interesting but for lots of people, this will present a much greater problem!!

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/soon-your-iphone-wont-work-while-youre-driving/

Laughing

Quote:
If the phone owner ‘forgets’ to turn it on, the phone can guess when it’s in a moving vehicle anyway, thanks to its motion sensors, GPS and WiFi systems. Trying to ‘unlock’ the phone will be purposely difficult to do while driving, but easy if you’re an innocent passenger.

I can see a problem here.................

People who like to check their phones will still do so, but now spend more time unlocking their phone to do it, and thus creating an even longer spell of not concentrating on what they are doing

Oh, and thank fuck i have an Android phone Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:20 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
battery technology will need to have advanced enough so that electric vehicles can do long journeys and so that charge times are much quicker than they currently are.

Ye cannae legislate the laws o' physics.

Anyway, batter up, batter in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plan-for-roadside-no2-concentrations-published

... vague waffle, drill down...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/633021/air-quality-plan-overview.pdf

Not a word about motorcycles. Let's get detailed with it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/633022/air-quality-plan-detail.pdf

Motorcycles produce less than 1% of roadside N0x emissions (we're lumped in with petrol vans and still come to <1%).

For clear air zone classifications, we're thrown in with cars, although we get away with Euro 3 as per That London ULEZ.

Not a word about whether ICE motorcycles will be banned from 2040.

I guess MAG got completely blindsided by this, as usual.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:27 - 26 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we're doing this, what are the world's largest polluters going to be doing (i.e. USA, and increasingly China).
Carrying on polluting I imagine. Any changes this country makes are Chicken Shit in proportion
By the way if we outlaw Oil and go to Solar the Saudi’s will still be laughing as the get a good amount of sunlight too.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Whilst we're doing this, what are the world's largest polluters going to be doing (i.e. USA, and increasingly China).
Carrying on polluting I imagine. Any changes this country makes are Chicken Shit in proportion

You mean, me cleaning out my Marmite jars isn't making any difference in saving the planet?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think electric bikes aren't gonna be all that bad after all Shocked Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10