Any tips for doing CBT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:08 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
So do you drink enough for the pair of you..... or are you just waiting to be kicked out of the city as you're clearly not being Glaswegian enough... Laughing[/quote]

I don't drink either but in true Glaswegian fashion gave up the drink when I could legally start! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax.

No really, just relax. That's it. It's like riding a horse, if you're tense the horse is tense. If you're tense on a bike it will handle in a harsh manner.

Remember at all times, you are in charge of the motorcycle not the other way round. Embrace your fuck ups (and you will) and learn from what happened.

Before you know it, you have a big shit eating grin on your mush and you're looking for your first big bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use 1-2 fingers on the brake lever.
I did on my CBT out of habit and was told CBT isn't a fucking MX track, shame! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Don't use 1-2 fingers on the brake lever.
I did on my CBT out of habit and was told CBT isn't a fucking MX track, shame! Laughing

I still do two fingers Embarassed

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:35 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
It's like riding a horse

1/20th of riding a horse. Whistle

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:45 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it.

Treat it like you would a day out, don't put yourself under any undue pressure.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone gets it done in a day, perfectly normal to be mentally and physically exhausted and have to go back.

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:27 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be harder than you think it's going to be but that's okay.

If there are young blokes there who jump on and seem to be able to do it all immediately and you wonder why you're still shit scared of turning a corner, that's okay (they've probably been riding pit bikes since they were 6).

If you feel like you're getting nowhere and it's harder than you thought, that's okay.

Basically try to have fun. And relax. And at some point three months after your CBT when you're riding down the road and you're smelling the amazing summer air, and you have an awesome ridiculous grin on your face you'll realise it's all been worth it Very Happy

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, have you booked it?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs grr has a repeat CBT booked for the 20th August. This time she's doing it with her Dad who has been occasionally
pottering about on her little brothers 125 without the correct pieces of paper. After nagging him half to death about it he's agreed
to do CBT as his luck can't last forever and he will be stopped and busted for no CBT and no insurance. I'd love to be a fly
on the wall for that session. Mrs grr will be using her own scootay this time round. Besides it will be a nice father/daughter
experience for them both. I'll have to ride the scoot down there while Mrs grr drives the car as her current CBT expires on
the 3rd then I'll bring the car back home. Her Dad will be using a manual school bike.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:31 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
So, have you booked it?

I am going to book it for September as that is the only time I can get a couple of days off work. A bit nervous but rerally excited too.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:32 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mrs grr has a repeat CBT booked for the 20th August. This time she's doing it with her Dad who has been occasionally
pottering about on her little brothers 125 without the correct pieces of paper. After nagging him half to death about it he's agreed
to do CBT as his luck can't last forever and he will be stopped and busted for no CBT and no insurance. I'd love to be a fly
on the wall for that session. Mrs grr will be using her own scootay this time round. Besides it will be a nice father/daughter
experience for them both. I'll have to ride the scoot down there while Mrs grr drives the car as her current CBT expires on
the 3rd then I'll bring the car back home. Her Dad will be using a manual school bike.

Good luck to Mrs Grr and her dad, I wish them well and let us know how they get on. I am going to do mine in September now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:16 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
I am going to book it for September as that is the only time I can get a couple of days off work. A bit nervous but rerally excited too.

But you'll miss out on this "summer" that we're enjoying! Whistle

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:32 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
AngiBear wrote:

But you'll miss out on this "summer" that we're enjoying! Whistle

I know! Rolling Eyes The glare of that sun this morning when driving to work nearly blinded me! Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:04 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one (actual) suggestion: get out on a pushbike. Apart from the balance benefits, it'll get you used to the idea of being invisible and vulnerable, and having to negotiate junctions with some care.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:06 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, one (actual) suggestion: get out on a pushbike. Apart from the balance benefits, it'll get you used to the idea of being invisible and vulnerable, and having to negotiate junctions with some care.

I tried that at the weekend on those 'People make Glasgow' bikes. It did not end well and my balance leads a lot to be desired too. I am going to have another go, whats that they say about getting back on the horse. I had stabilisers on my bike as a child, can you get them for a 125cc? Embarassed

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the get yourself out on a push bike for a few weeks first and get some balance and control at slow speeds.

When you can do controlled wheelies, stoppies, rear wheel steering, and get your knee down on an MTB, then your well ready for a CBT IMO.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I tried that at the weekend on those 'People make Glasgow' bikes. It did not end well and my balance leads a lot to be desired too. I am going to have another go, whats that they say about getting back on the horse. I had stabilisers on my bike as a child, can you get them for a 125cc? Embarassed

I've not ridden the glasgie variant but those rental bikes are often strange contraptions, the ones in London aren't like any bicycle I've ever ridden. However if you struggle with shoulder checks etc. on a regular bicycle I'd definitely get in a bit of practice before your CBT.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:16 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitness improves your balance no end. I remember my parents had a wii fit board and before i started working out i could hardly balance on it at all , after a few weeks training my balance was a lot better. just a bit of an idea
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2