Entertaining Smaller Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Having ridden a few of them, the CBR250RR and the FZR250 are my favourites, and I own a CBR now. Close second to those two is the ZXR-250, the GSX-R 250 was a bit of a let down, and trails the other 3, with an odd, almost electric power delivery. It pales in comparison to the top heavy, banshee wail delivery of the others.

Never ridden the Gpz, but being a twin i'm guessing it'll have a little more stomp than the others, with a bit more torque but the top end is more like 95 than 120. When you have little weight and a motor that begs to be revved (and needs to be revved to get anywhere, believe peak power on the CBR is 16,000 rpm) you find yourself flying everywhere. I'm far more likely to lose my licence on the 250 than my turbo haha.

It's odd cause with 400's the Suzuki GK73A has the bonkers top end rush while the others you end up hitting the limiter waiting for something to happen.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm still enjoying my Ninja 250, it was a decent impulse purchase.
It's a generous tank too, with well over 200 miles in it.

How many litres to a tank, and how many MPG are you getting?

Thinking about chopping the CBR250 in for the Ninja 250, but one, worried that the ninja is more nickable, two, much more expensive than the 85mpg I'm getting from the little Honda and three the less torque would be no good two up.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Most wouldn't but that doesn't make 125s dangerous or mean that they hold up all other traffic even on full throttle as was earlier suggested.

They do uphill. Pinned throttle stuck at 30mph, Audi behind starts flashing his lights, road levels out and Audi gets left behind Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:11 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
I'm still enjoying my Ninja 250, it was a decent impulse purchase.
It's a generous tank too, with well over 200 miles in it.

How many litres to a tank, and how many MPG are you getting?

It's an 18 litre tank. On my urban/suburban commute the fuel light consistently comes on near to 200 miles and it takes 12 litres to refill, which I make to be 75mpg.

Depending on how much of the rest of the tank is actually usable, it should do close to 250 miles until it runs dry.

If I had a CBR250R single (and I would have had one if the local sellers had been a bit more reasonable in their expectations), I doubt I'd see a compelling reason to switch to the Ninja.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Try racing a 15bhp (if you're lucky and it had any restriction) 4T 125 road bike against a 30bhp RS125 Aprilia.

There's a good reason the 125GP class are all 2 strokes.
A 250GP 2 stroke would also annihilate a 250cc 4t Moto3 bike.

Not really sure what your getting at here?
Of course a 125GP bike will be quicker than a Moto3 bike that has to be a single cylinder engine yet is twice the capacity, and also is not allowed to be tuned and developed with the almost unlimited budgets the 125GP class used to have. Was the new strict no tuning rules not there for a reason to cut costs in 125cc class GP racing?

Also I've had an 11bhp 125, and a 24bhp 125, and ridden some others like the TZR L and NSR JC20 etc. Not sure what racing a 12bhp four stroke against a 30bhp Aprilia would prove, other than the fact that neither is perfect or better at everything than the other bike is?

MC, my old CG would puff up to an indicated 60mph slowly and steadily, but not much more even down hill, but would on long uphills drop to 45-50mph minimum unless it was like a 1/4 slope or something daft. It was not really holding many people up for most of the time until they want to go over 60mph. It also used to beat all the cars off the lights to about 25mph in 2-3gear changes which was handy for filtering to the front of queues etc. If head to head with something slow like a 1.0 Polo, it might have stayed ahead to 35mph or more.

250cc four pot sportsbikes being the bollocks? Fun I would think, but you'd get much more ibft from an NSR250 etc, delivered 1000's of rpm sooner too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not compelled to switch either, just had the bike for two years. Which means it's probably time to start thinking about cutting your losses before the millage really racks up and a worthless bike becomes even more worthless.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So disappointed this thread isn't about some kind of bizarre dinner party.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3