Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSX750F running problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:51 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: GSX750F running problem Reply with quote

I have a 1998 GSX750F which has a running problem, it seems to be misfiring and can only get 60mph out of it.

I have had it in at my local bike mechanic and he has stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and balanced the carbs, fitted new plugs, checked the resistances of the coils and HT leads (all ok), replaced the carb diaphrams and set the float heights.

He told me that the problem was still there and told me to try the following: change the exhaust (non standard), replace fuel for new, replace air filter to genuine (pattern fitted at present) and then check for an electrical fault. I think he couldnt be arsed with it any more and charged me £300 for the privilege.

I have changed the fuel, on removing the tank I noticed that the plug leads werent even attached to the plugs properly (not pushed on) and that one of the carb rubbers had been fitted incorrectly (trapped in air filter housing), replaced the exhaust for a full stainless Delkevic system and as for the air filter it has been in for months and have never had a problem with it before. I am yet to go for a test ride after completing all the work mentioned but thought I would ask on here for any advice to cure the problem. All advice/help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Gavin.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Mechanic' doesn't know what he's doing, he's just guessing and changing random stuff. Keep away from him.

You say the air filter has been in for months and you've had no trouble with it but you think that suddenly the exhaust might be at fault? doesn't make any sense.

If you were nearby I'd offer to look at it except that I have a very full schedule of work for the next month.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mileage and when were the valve clearances checked?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: did this fault come on slowly or did appear all of a sudden?
This may help indicate what it is.

Coils are good, plugs are good, what about ht leads breaking down under load?, I've had that before.
Is it happening at a specific speed or in a specific gear?

Will it rev highly in lower gears or can you not get the revs passed a certain rpm? That may indicate something wrong with the electronics? Maybe? Possibly?

Is the fuel tank hissing when you turn the engine off = possible partially blocked breather, possibly, maybe,

You said you've changed the exhaust and the air filter ?
Has this made the problem worse or better?
Now things have been changed there may be a jetting issue, possibly? Maybe?

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:20 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pete: I changed the exhaust as the joint between the down pipes and link pipe was corroded and blowing (only held on by 2 pieces of the metal flange)

@Jaffa90: The mileage is 29,000 and as far as I`m aware the valve clearances where checked??

@Pepperami: I took the bike in to the garage as it was running erratic (revs holding on) and to have the carbs balanced. The fault was there after the garage had completed the carb balancing, apparently the HT leads are good according to the garage???, Its happening at all speeds and gears but only under load, its revs fine in neutral. There`s no hissing coming from the fuel tank and the fault is the same before and after the exhaust change.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GavintheTazman wrote:
Its happening at all speeds and gears but only under load, its revs fine in neutral..

If it was mine, I'd be looking at airbox, filter, jets, diaphragms, needles.
Needles in the wrong notch?
To much air? Not enough air?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: GSX750F running problem Reply with quote

GavintheTazman wrote:

I have changed the fuel, on removing the tank I noticed that the plug leads werent even attached to the plugs properly (not pushed on) and that one of the carb rubbers had been fitted incorrectly (trapped in air filter housing), replaced the exhaust for a full stainless Delkevic system and as for the air filter it has been in for months and have never had a problem with it before. I am yet to go for a test ride after completing all the work mentioned but thought I would ask on here for any advice to cure the problem. All advice/help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Gavin.

This sort of shit really winds me up. Incompetent ass 'mechanics' having a bash.

The motor that is running strong in my GSX1200f came out of a Bandit 1200 me and a mate bought for 400 quid. It was cheap as the owner had tried 'everything' and therefore the motor was trash. Upon getting the bike, I swapped two plug leads over and the bike ran fine. Took it up and down the road and then took the motor out to fit in my bike.

The kicker? The previous owner was the head mechanic at the fucking Suzuki dealership!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I will say, the delkevic pipes you have installed are larger than the stock. Considerably.

I'm running similar on my 1200 motor and I had to stage 3 dynojet to make any sense of them. 155 mains. I am running an open pipe (111.7db Mr. Green ) though.

You should be able to get over 60 though. Have you checked the motor side carb rubbers? An air leak would explain some of what you are describing. Look for deep cracks or if you can get it idling and spray easy start or wd over the rubbers, if the revs rise you have an air leak.

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:39 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

POST UPDATE: I have found a few more faults my bike: 1, one of the air box rubbers was incorrectly fitted (trapped) so creating an air leak, I came across this by spraying WD around the airbox rubbers which caused the revs to rise. there are no longer any air leaks. 2, The sealing foam on the air filter itself was partially missing, so created a temporary seal with silicone. I have fixed these faults and also changed the inline fuel filter for a new one, cleaned out the fuel tank (again), and filled with fresh fuel today (27/7), It runs better at low speeds but still feels like its missing and lacks power at top end speeds. I have a genuine air filter on order so will fit that and see what happens when it arrives. Any further advice/help would be appreciated. Cheers

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds exactly like what happened to my '98 GSX600F. Turned out the HT leads weren't connected to the the plug caps properly and some of the electrical wiring had gone shit. With that sorted it ran great. So I'd deffo start looking into your wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:41 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOWDONIA: Thanks for your reply to my post, I will try out what you have suggested and will give an update. Cheers again, Gavin.

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:35 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Post update Reply with quote

Its now been over a month of trying to sort this problem out Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , I have fitted a genuine air filter, removed the inline fuel filter and replaced with a brand new fuel line WITHOUT an inline filter. I have checked all the wiring and all seems fine. I am getting really frustrated with this fault, as I have never had any problems with the bike in the 10 years of owning it. I am know thinking it could be the coils??? as the symptoms are no top end speed (feels restricted) and feels like its running on 3 cylinders over 4000 revs. I don`t want to keep spending out on "it could be this, or try that". I would be very grateful for any advice on what to do next. Cheers

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the bike on 3 cyls or top speed for a while and then stop and check / feel or spit on all the down pipes.

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:59 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffa90: what am I looking for by doing this???

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT??? Come on, a non running cyl will have a cool down pipe,
if all 4 are the same temp then it`s a restricted fuel or exhaust system providing the spark timing is advancing correctly.

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:22 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, just wasn`t sure why thats all. how do I check if the spark timing is advancing?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strobe light but the spark plugs will get black if that`s the case.
The spark plugs tell a tale.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:32 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the timing advance it would affect all cylinders not just one.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kev2b4
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a GSX750E - silencer got modified ( cut and loose baffles removed and welded back up) - and found I had to up the main jets a couple of sizes ( I'll have to have a dig to see if I've still got thhe 2 or 3 sets of jets I changed out)

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Forget the timing advance it would affect all cylinders not just one.

Pete your not reading the script,

"""" as the symptoms are no top end speed (feels restricted) and feels like its running on 3 cylinders over 4000 revs."""""

Also you don`t have further advice.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think running on three will affect the top end speed?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had the same symptoms happen to me on 2 bikes, idles fine, roll on the throttle and losing a cylinder and having no power. One time it was the HT lead, hairline cracks near the plug head and the lead was arcing to the head.

Second time It was a loose connection from the lead to the coil. Would be double checking over all that section.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:26 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this all happened after asking a shop to balance the carbs, I would ask them to fix what they broke.

Assuming this doesn't happen, make sure all of the blanking plugs or rubber covers were reinstalled on all the vacuum ports on the inlet rubbers.

GavintheTazma...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:04 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to change the coils and will see if that cures the fault. As for the shop who carried out the work, I went back today to complain only to find out the shop has closed down and is up for sale because the owner had passed away (Bike accident). I will post an update when I have fitted the coils.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fuelling problem.

Started happening after a bike shop was messing around with the carbs.

So you're changing the coils.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2