Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Have Mod1 lessons starting this Saturday and so nervous!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:55 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Have Mod1 lessons starting this Saturday and so nervous! Reply with quote

Mod1 lessons start this Saturday

Had CBT about 13months, and for some reason I am looking forward to the lessons, but really nervous.

Anyone can shed some light into how easy/hard it is?

Thanks

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:13 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to be nervous about, it's just like your 125...except bigger.

Once you realise it's not trying to kill you with every twist of the throttle you'll be fine.

I'm passed Mod 1 now and Mod 2 soon and the only adjustment I really have to make when I get on the 750 is it feels a little strange in the first couple of corners, (compared to my 125), but it doesn't take long to feel 'normal'.

Sweat it not, assuming you can control your 125 ok, you'll be right in no time at all.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
Nothing to be nervous about, it's just like your 125...except bigger.

Once you realise it's not trying to kill you with every twist of the throttle you'll be fine.

I'm passed Mod 1 now and Mod 2 soon and the only adjustment I really have to make when I get on the 750 is it feels a little strange in the first couple of corners, (compared to my 125), but it doesn't take long to feel 'normal'.

Sweat it not, assuming you can control your 125 ok, you'll be right in no time at all.

The main sort of feedback im getting is just get used to the weight difference. Also been told that slow manoeuvre on a bigger bike, for slalom and figure of 8, is actually easier than a 125. That really surprised me

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
It's really not a biggie. The best thing to do is relax while you are riding it. I went into my DAS training a few weeks ago with exactly the same mind set as you. It's a bigger bike, it's heavier, it's so much more powerful, I won't be able to handle it. I failed my mod 1 first time round due to not relaxing and had a minor head fuck at the crucial moment (hazard avoidance) sending cones flying. I did it again 2 weeks later and aced it. I then passed Mod 2 4 days ago. Now I'm thinking WTF was all that worrying about? Wink

Just wait til you get on a 600 mate. It's amazing! Honestly, it is easier. Once you get used to combining the clutch, throttle and brake, you will see what I mean.

RELAX, and enjoy it.

Good luck Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
The main sort of feedback im getting is just get used to the weight difference.

You will need to put more input into it to make it turn, but you'll very quickly get used to it. Be positive, show it the whip, and you'll be fine.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Have Mod1 lessons starting this Saturday and so nervous! Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Mod1 lessons start this Saturday

Had CBT about 13months, and for some reason I am looking forward to the lessons, but really nervous.

Anyone can shed some light into how easy/hard it is?

Thanks

Chances are you'll be doing a lot more riding around and only a small amount of Module 1 practice. What school you go with depends on if you'll be doing it on the real pad or a simulation set up on private ground. Reason I say that is because the test lasts about 15-20 minutes at most and so the prep you need for it really isn't that long. Unless you've booked, or agree'd, Module 1 practice 1-1 with the instructor directly I'd expect 2-1 student to instructor ratio and the aforementioned situation.

How easy the Module 1 is? Every person is different and finds bits harder than others. You wont know until you crack on with attempting all the different things required and then work on what needs to be.

Weight depends on the bike but on the whole 125cc's are a farse because they're so lightweight that it lulls you into a false sense that anything heavier is unrideable, it's not. The biggest thing is technique with handling a bigger bike. Get that right and you'll be fine. Treat it with care when pushing it around and you'll be fine. Once on the move you won't notice what you're on (weight wise).

Bigger bikes rev more freely and therefore less faffing around with gears, just means you can go a longer distance without being forced to change up. Bigger cc bike would be easier in the sense of not needing to push it as hard to get to 30mph in 2nd gear, should be well easy.

Enjoy your training and absorb every piece of information you can from the instructor. Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
The main sort of feedback im getting is just get used to the weight difference.

Firstly, you're doing lessons, so don't worry about it.
The instructor won't think anything less of you if your 1st lesson is a bad one, and after that you'll find it easy because the nerves will have gone (maybe to return for tests but that's just the way it happens... Laughing ).

Secondly, the weight isn't really noticeable as soon as you're rolling.
Yes it's different but not difficult.
The aggro can be the weight when you're manhandling the bike but as soon as it's rolling then the throttle takes the weight out of manoeuvring.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Day 1 started with paperwork. Bike familiarity. Riding around and being told off for poor obs. By lunchtime onto manoeuvres. Just relax and enjoy it.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and advice, much appreciated. The school rung today to confirm i was still attending on Saturday and he told me it is more or less a glorified CBT

Went as far as to say it is more a case of making sure i can handle the bigger bike, as the tasks themselves i have already done on a daily basis or during CBT

Much more at ease now Thanks again

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It literally took me five minutes to get used to the big bike, the weight is more or less irrelevant, you'll find you instinctively adapt to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, had the training today my first 3 hours and absolutely loved it. thanks for all the advice, was a great help

Instructor wants me to take the test now august 11th. So fingers crossed!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Hi guys, had the training today my first 3 hours and absolutely loved it. thanks for all the advice, was a great help

I'd have been surprised if you hadn't enjoyed it.

It's amazing how many people don't believe you when you say a bigger bike is easier to ride, but it is.
When they finally try it, it takes a moment/minute or two to understand and adjust to it, but it really is easier.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:43 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:

Did you go out on the roads or just pootle around the car park? I found that getting back on my 125 after the 600 training was so "Meh, I want POWAH!"

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:

Glad you enjoyed, what bike did you learn on? Training again tomorrow?

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:10 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
RickTaff wrote:

Glad you enjoyed, what bike did you learn on? Training again tomorrow?

Trained on a Kawasaki er-6n i think it was. Nice bike. Training again on aug 8th, test 11th.

Can have lessons before the 8th if i want, but instructor in his opinion, was happy with his plans

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:13 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
RickTaff wrote:

Did you go out on the roads or just pootle around the car park? I found that getting back on my 125 after the 600 training was so "Meh, I want POWAH!"

just practised the hazard avoidance, slalom, fig of 8, controlled stop. Usual stuff. Didnt practice the parking of the bike and wheeling it into a "pretend garage". Neither did we practice stopping with front wheel in a box. We could if we wanted at the end for half hour or so, but instructor was of the opinion that most, if not all, riders could manage those 2 in particular

when i went back to the 125 to lift it off the stand i almost threw the thing as it was so much lighter lol. took a few seconds to readjust to where the footpegs were too lol as theyre further back on the Kawasaki

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:48 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can throw you off (metaphorically, potentially literally) switching between bikes, but it also helps keeps you sharp.

There's nothing particularly hard in module 1 so I agree about not over-practising for it. It's easy to fail on a silly foot dab, but I do think it's possible to build it up into something that it's not. Jump through the hoops (the burning one is best), 15 minutes, job done.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant add much to the above posts but if you need any advice, anything you are unsure off, anything you wish you asked your instructor about, feel free to message me. Rumour has it I am pretty good at this instructor shit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:28 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Cant add much to the above posts but if you need any advice, anything you are unsure off, anything you wish you asked your instructor about, feel free to message me. Rumour has it I am pretty good at this instructor shit.

Since becoming an instructor your heads got massive bruh Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good attitude to have is treat the experience as if you're work had sent you to do it as some kind of work training. If only hey?. But if that was the case you'd just see the whole thing as a good lark and a skive from the daily grind.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:07 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Rumour has it I am pretty good at this instructor shit.

One day you may even posses a significant fraction of Tef's qualifications and ability.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I know, Shocking innit. But on a serious note, I've been one of those people that have never been good at anything. 20 years a chef, never great at it, Hell I'd break airfix models when you get them out of the skeleton frame before you start making the things. So to find something I am good at is fantastic.

Besides, what kind of instructor would I be if I said to the students I was not good at it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:
Rumour has it I am pretty good at this instructor shit.

One day you may even posses a significant fraction of Tef's qualifications and ability.

Never going to happen, that man is god.

OK its "god what are you saying now?" but god all the same lol

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:25 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I know, Shocking innit. But on a serious note, I've been one of those people that have never been good at anything. 20 years a chef, never great at it, Hell I'd break airfix models when you get them out of the skeleton frame before you start making the things. So to find something I am good at is fantastic.

Besides, what kind of instructor would I be if I said to the students I was not good at it? Laughing

Laughing Fair point.

nah I totally get you mate, its why I stopped doing my previous jobs. My calling is certainly my current job and I am good at it. It was all tongue in cheek Wink I certainly couldn't do your job. Thumbs Up

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It can throw you off (metaphorically, potentially literally) switching between bikes, but it also helps keeps you sharp.

There's nothing particularly hard in module 1 so I agree about not over-practising for it. It's easy to fail on a silly foot dab, but I do think it's possible to build it up into something that it's not. Jump through the hoops (the burning one is best), 15 minutes, job done.

Thanks. I agree the training can be built up into something it is not. I am in no way over confident but I found it almost like a glorified CBT. As i may have mentioned before.

the tasks themselves i knew i could do, it was getting used to the bigger bike which had me nervous.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1