Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A more commuter friendly bike than CBR600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: A more commuter friendly bike than CBR600 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So back in Mach I bought a Honda CBR600 2001 a lovely bike pretty much in an immaculate condition:
https://i.imgur.com/FwY5yGPl.jpg

But after riding it for a while I realised: it's too fast for me and I am not using any of it's power. I stick to speed limit and don't do any fast acceleration. And most importantly it's a bit too far forward leaning which puts strain on my back and wrists.

So I am looking to get something quite good which would be under £3000 and be comfortable to commute on but also fun to ride.
I am somewhat leaning towards Honda CB600F (hornet) post 2007 which has higher handle bars, detuned 600cc engine and ABS.

What would you guys suggest?
Thanks Smile

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CBR600 with less power and good for commuting... Thinking

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest the CB500(x) Very Happy

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But after riding it for a while I realised: it's too fast for me and I am not using any of it's power. I stick to speed limit and don't do any fast acceleration. And most importantly it's a bit too far forward leaning which puts strain on my back and wrists.

What would you guys suggest?

Why would you buy a CB600F/ CBF600? It's just a cheapened version of your CBR with a worse frame, worse suspension and worse brakes.

You have a perfectly good machine

My suggestions?

#1 Buy a new top yoke but not from CNC ~ aka cool and comfy. This will allow you to put tube bars on the CBR or risers £100 will do it + £30 for new longer cables and +£10 for longer electrical cables.

#2 Buy a PC3 as the CBR is pretty old they are £100-£150. Remap it to be more economical and less harsh on acceleration.

#3 Ride it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still get your hands on a 1993-2003 CB500? Later models (Brembo calipers) recommended. These are light, reliable, reasonably powerful with good mpg, cheap maintenance and tyres. I used to have a 2000 CB500 at my disposal and although I found the experience a bit dull, the bike did what the owner got it for, to get from the point A to B at reasonable mpg and have some fun during the weekend. With an open exhaust it turns into a hooligan town bike.

These are also very well documented, tons of materials online about maintenance, common issues and how to fix stuff. Parts should also be widely available.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also suggest the CB500. Cheap, economical and fun. The new CB500X might be worth a look too but I don't know how low the prices have gotten yet.

If you want something faired then how about an ER6F? I use mine for commuting and find it ideal. I still prefer it for daily use compared to some of the more powerful bikes I've tried. I seem to prefer twins/triples in general though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:06 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a Hornet is going to have much the same problem of being fun at speeds that you won't be doing. See also the Fazer.

So +1 for the ER6 (N or F) or CB500(F, X or R). Upright position, twin power delivery, cheap to buy, run and insure. I'd be looking for reasons not to get either of those bikes for that purpose.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Fazer to an SV for this reason (too much unusable power). Only problem was riding position, but I taught myself to sit up more using my core and back muscles. This alleviates the aching wrists.

However, I would certainly vote a +1 for ER6F or N. Much more usable power, more comfy riding position and if anything like my SV much better fuel economy. My SV was also cheaper to insure than the FZ6 and for some reason cheaper for breakdown cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:32 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the replies Smile

I did own a Kawasaki ER5 which was a decent commuter but not the most exciting thing in the world. ER6 does look quite tempting but the low mileage one don't seem that cheap Sad

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

john24ssj wrote:
Thanks guys for all the replies Smile

I did own a Kawasaki ER5 which was a decent commuter but not the most exciting thing in the world. ER6 does look quite tempting but the low mileage one don't seem that cheap Sad

You should be able to get one easily in budget. Excepting the very latest model there's little difference other than styling between the models after 2009. I wouldn't worry about age, go for one that's been looked after. When I got mine a few years ago I paid about 3k for one that was 4 years old with 4k miles on it.

Things to watch out for are
stick coils corrode and become difficult to remove if not greased.
Rust around swing arm area
Brakes are the Tokico units that get crudded up in winter - this can cause the dust seals to grip the piston as it builds up behind them leading to excessive lever travel. Easily managed.
Very early models suffered from cracking exhaust headers but this was resolved on later models.
Rear sprocket carrier bearing is not sealed so can become degraded by winter crud. I replaced mine with a decent FAG one when it failed around 15k.

That's about it.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the CBR600, fettle it like Itchy said and don't be such a wuss. Thumbs Up

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you want a car with two wheels.

The NC wasn't 'bad' when I hired one abroad. Not sure how valid my comparison is, but it was more exciting than my divvy, but that may have been down to age differences between the bikes.

Run out of puff very quickly though.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't think of a more commuter friendly bike than what you have.

Anything with higher or wider bars is going to make filtering shit. The CBR (and probably most sports bikes) have mirrors that fit below lorry and van mirrors and are roughly at the same height as most car mirrors. They're also the widest point on the bike (unless you're a fat bastard) which means if your mirrors fit then so will your bars.

Anything with less fairings is going to be windy and fill your lap with rain water.

The CBR has an easy fitting GIVI rack for top box. And the rear end is quite wide and supportive for soft panniers or strapping luggage to. (Or there are racks for hard panniers).

The seat is large and comfortable. I've done about 800 miles on mine in 3 days and whilst I did ache, I could have happily done more if i'd needed to.

Just because the power is there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. If anything it's good to have it incase you do need to blip through a gap before it closes or if you do find yourself in a hoony mood. The power delivery on these bikes is not sudden or scary at all. It doesn't really beg for more unless you are really giving it some. It builds up pretty lazily and then only really begins to rocket off as you get 8000rpm+

If your wrists are aching then you can try and alter your riding position. It's easy to think that you need to lean forwards onto your wrists but if you straighten your arms slightly and allow more of that weight to go through your arse, then that alleviates some of that issue. Having tank grips for your knees will also help with this.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the man there ^. I did a fair amount of London commuting on my old CBR and it did the job pretty well.

Interesting comments on power being available at speeds you won't be doing - well, it's true in commuter mode you won't be going 10k+ rpm ballistic but you don't need to do a lot to keep it spinning. It's a very easy bike to ride.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:37 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Anything with higher or wider bars is going to make filtering shit.

Based on what?

Higher bars fit above most car mirrors.

Having mirrors on the bars rather than the fairings mean that you can more easily wiggle them past vans and buses.

My GS filters better than my Ninja, and that's even after I removed the racebike's fairing mirrors and put them on the bars instead.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A more commuter friendly bike than CBR600 Reply with quote

john24ssj wrote:
Honda CBR600 2001

But after riding it for a while I realised: it's too fast for me and I am not using any of it's power. I stick to speed limit and don't do any fast acceleration.

john24ssj wrote:
I did own a Kawasaki ER5 which was a decent commuter but not the most exciting thing in the world.

Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Based on what?

Higher bars fit above most car mirrors.

Having mirrors on the bars rather than the fairings mean that you can more easily wiggle them past vans and buses.

My GS filters better than my Ninja, and that's even after I removed the racebike's fairing mirrors and put them on the bars instead.

Based on using an NC750 courtesy bike to commute on for around a month or so in London. 40 miles a day of consistently solid traffic on multilane roads (A10, A406, A40).

I found the bars weren't high enough to pass car mirrors but not low enough to pass below van and lorry mirrors, on account of the bar mounted mirrors adding height to the bars.

The bars were the same width as the mirrors so the widest point size (in terms of vertical coverage) was majorly increased, thus increase chance of clash with third party protrusions.

Because the bike was tall, it made stability more difficult (I'm 6'1 btw), and when trying to squeeze around cars (like when swapping filtering lanes) it meant leaning the bike to avoid contact didn't feel as easy or roomy.

On fairing mounted mirrors, avoiding side-by-side cars with their mirrors aligned (or near as dammit) I find all you need to do is lean the bike one way, then the other in order to pass. Which is a much faster process than having to slow right downs turn the steering lock-to-lock and feather the clutch to wiggle through.

Perhaps my comparable time of commuting on a sports bike (years) to the time spent on the NC (month-ish) is bit biased and favourable to the sports bike but I definitely notice that the bikes I get stuck behind when filtering, tends to be the taller, wider bar-ed style of bike.

And a slightly irrelevant but related point: the NC made a noise at a similar decibel level as Dale Winton's farts. Whereas my ASBO Baklaff exhaust on the CBR tends to give a "Moses" vibe to the reaction of traffic.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Perhaps my comparable time of commuting on a sports bike (years) to the time spent on the NC (month-ish) is bit biased and favourable to the sports bike but I definitely notice that the bikes I get stuck behind when filtering, tends to be the taller, wider bar-ed style of bike.

The people that ride these bikes I'd imagine is a factor.

My CBR250 'racebike' has the worst mirrors for filtering. They stick out about the same proportions as an albatross wingspan to it's body and right at the same height as most car mirrors as well. The proper GSXR1000 racebike I had was many times better. At ~30MPG through town, replacing tyres every 3k miles and filling up 2-3 times a week was it's only downfall.

The best bike I've ever used through town was a c_dug's 93 CBR600. Still a narrow sports bike, but more relaxed on the wrists, mid 40MPG and tyre replacement just under 10k. A sharf drive would have made it almost perfect.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I agree that a Hornet is going to have much the same problem of being fun at speeds that you won't be doing. See also the Fazer.

So +1 for the ER6 (N or F) or CB500(F, X or R). Upright position, twin power delivery, cheap to buy, run and insure. I'd be looking for reasons not to get either of those bikes for that purpose.

I'm enjoying commuting on my hornet more than I had been enjoying the ZZR, finding it easier to get through traffic, and since they've closed the main road into Manchester along which I work it's come into it's own.

Lighter, more nimble, more upright and easier to use it's perkyness than the Z

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:09 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A more commuter friendly bike than CBR600 Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
john24ssj wrote:
Honda CBR600 2001

But after riding it for a while I realised: it's too fast for me and I am not using any of it's power. I stick to speed limit and don't do any fast acceleration.

john24ssj wrote:
I did own a Kawasaki ER5 which was a decent commuter but not the most exciting thing in the world.

Confused

Ahh ER5 was decent but it needed constant gear changing as my route involves all sorts roads. A great thing with CBR I don't need to do half as many gear changes. Also ER5 had god awful brakes as well.

After reading many forums, most common recommendation came in as CBR600 and that's what I got.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cbr and a few quid would get you a decent er6f/n.Although, I do worry for you if you find a bike 'too fast for you'. Hard accelerating anything is scary/exhilarating... because something can do 160+mph doesn't mean you have to go that fast.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1