Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc Trail Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

YamHondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: 125cc Trail Bike Reply with quote

Hi everyone, So I passed my CBT and I'm looking for a 125cc trail bike I have 2k to spend and it is a out of these three bike, Honda Xr125, Yamaha Xt125 and even the Yamaha Dt125 but I would rather go for four stroke due to being more reliable. I have read that the Xt and Xr aren't that fast top speed being about 60mph what would be my best bet it would be used for green laning and a bit of light off road and going to work everyday so would prefer the four stroke for reliability, although the Dt does look and sound lovely, so what are people opinions in these bikes thanks.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2k is a lot of money, you can get a very good bike for that, don't rush in

What about a 2nd hand AJP PR3 Enduro 125cc?

here is the spec for a new one;

Quote:
Below you can view the full technical specification of the machine.
Model:
PR3 125 Enduro
Engine Size:
Colour:
Black and White
Year:
Price:
2899.00 On The Road
Suspension - Front:
AJP USD Fork
Suspension - rear:
Progressive linkage with Sachs fully adjustable shock
Engine Type:
Single cylinder 4 stroke
Cooling System:
Air cooled
Starting:
Electric
Power:
9.3Kw @ 8500rpm
Torque:
8.5Nm @ 8000rpm
Brake - Front:
260mm disc with twin piston caliper
Brake - Rear:
220mm disc with single piston caliper
Seat Height:
840mm
Dry Weight:
100kg
Fuel Capacity:
7L
Tyre - Front:
70/100-19
Tyre - Rear:
100/100-17
Warranty:
2 Years, Parts Only Warranty Unlimited Mileage
Fuel System::
Carburettor, 30mm
Bore x Stroke:
56.5mm x 49.5mm

https://www.ajpmotos.co.uk/ajp-locator-new.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

YamHondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:16 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thx1138"]£2k is a lot of money, you can get a very good bike for that, don't rush in

What about a 2nd hand AJP PR3 Enduro 125cc?

here is the spec for a new one;

Quote:
Below you can view the full technical specification of the machine.
Model:
PR3 125 Enduro
Engine Size:
Colour:
Black and White
Year:
Price:
2899.00 On The Road
Suspension - Front:
AJP USD Fork
Suspension - rear:
Progressive linkage with Sachs fully adjustable shock
Engine Type:
Single cylinder 4 stroke
Cooling System:
Air cooled
Starting:
Electric
Power:
9.3Kw @ 8500rpm
Torque:
8.5Nm @ 8000rpm
Brake - Front:
260mm disc with twin piston caliper
Brake - Rear:
220mm disc with single piston caliper
Seat Height:
840mm
Dry Weight:
100kg
Fuel Capacity:
7L
Tyre - Front:
70/100-19
Tyre - Rear:
100/100-17
Warranty:
2 Years, Parts Only Warranty Unlimited Mileage
Fuel System::
Carburettor, 30mm
Bore x Stroke:
56.5mm x 49.5mm

https://www.ajpmotos.co.uk/ajp-locator-new.aspx[/quote

Hi, thanks for help, don't know if I said but it has to be road legal as will be using it for work everyday. Thanks.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are road legal

Quote:
Price:
2899.00 On The Road
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

YamHondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:38 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my mistake, I saw the number plates, just didn't see any indicators on them and would need to be able to ride at night.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also a Facebook group "Green lane trail bikes £1500 max"

might be worth checking out

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely keep your options open with a healthy £2k budget for a secondhand bike.

Id look at anything non Chinese, but in this case not because I'm anti Chinq bike for every situation, but if your off roading, things will break and fall off sooner or later, and you'll need a good spares supply and fast parts availability.

Id definitely consider European stuff like Derbi, Rieju, Aprilia, AJP, KTM, Husqvarna etc, as well as Jap bikes.

There's a limited number of decent Japanese Trail bikes, and some recent ones are supposed to be a bit naff for the money. KLX125R and XT125R etc. The Kawasaki is only 10bhp and sposed to be slow. The XT has an underslung exhaust and that would put me off for green laning.

The XR125 is probably a good enough road 125, but having a 19" front wheel and less ground clearance would take it off my list for off road use.

Nothing wrong with a two stroke, but the only thing I can see being a disadvantage is the stroker/classic tax. While you'd get a stunning restored or re-built DT/KMX/KDX etc for £2k or less, theres plenty of people that wont like the thought of spending £2k on a 10year old or more bike.

Also modern stuff like the Derbi/AJP/Rieju has much better suspension and chassis componentry/spec than any old 2stroke 90's trailie ever did.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:46 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the DT, look after it and you'll probably sell it for more than you paid for it in 5 years.

That won't happen with the other brands.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT 125 all the way, I've always wanted one. Thumbs Up

https://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic-bikes-2/DT125R.jpg

Who could turn that down? Laughing

I'm going to disagree though and I highly rate the Qingqi stuff, the Sinnis Blade, Pulse Adrenaline, etc. A mate of mine bought one for £300 with 25K on the clock and used it for enduros, he never won any mind, but it did alright, he just went round with a torque wrench and loctite before he did anything and tightened all the nuts and bolts. Laughing

Or, 300 quid more: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSQVARNA-SMS-SMS-4-125CC-LEARNER-LEGAL-ENDURO-STYLE-PSH-2013-62-PLATE-/291883363961?hash=item43f59aae79:g:OOcAAOSw4shX5HAF

I also rate the WR125R, I think that is a very nice learner bike, it just feels like it should have a smoker engine fitted. That will probably cost as much as the Husky, so why would you buy the Yam? Laughing The jap stuff does generally offer better reliability, and less picky with the service schedules.

And going off on one entirely now, why limit yourself to a four stroke 125, get something cool!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CRM-80-fully-road-legal-UK-Registered-/151834111704?hash=item235a04aed8:g:Hi4AAOSwYaFWcrvV

Probably as much power as an XR125, if not more. But I understand, not everyone is as mental for sub 100cc strokers like me.

Out of the XR and XT though, I'd go for the XT, more common wheel sizes and despite the underslung exhaust, you'd probably fit an aftermarket one anyway, or someone else will have, which would probably re-route the pipe round the side like a grown-up crosser.

I used to take my Varadero 125 off-road, with better tyres it would have been better. A couple of mates had a Van Van and a TW125 respectively and they'd come off-road too, 125 four strokes are all much of muchness green laning. Good Luck Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

YamHondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:28 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, that's helped a lot, I would really love a Dt125 but due to being used for work everyday needs to be very reliable, I don't know much about 2 strokes but read they need a rebuild every 10kish miles?. I saw a guy on YouTube called spicy110 who had a Sinnis apache and he never really had any problems with it, so I take it the sinnis blade would be the same.

I was also looking at the Xlr 125 but there's not many about and parts are hard to find like aftermarket exhausts etc. I also looked at the grom it looks really cool but I bet not much good off road Razz

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dt 125 is reliable. Just keep it with good two stroke oil and treat it nice. The thing with a two stroke is that piston rings are a service item, instead of doing valve adjustment on a four stroke at a certain interval, the two stroke will need some rings, or a piston or something.

As an example, I was changing the oil every 1000KM's on my TTR250, oil filter every other change, and valve clearance check every other filter change. That's a lot of maintenance. My CRM 250 has fresh fuel put in and good two stroke oil put in the oil tank before I leave to go anywhere on it.

The only extra thing you have to do on the two stroke is check the oil pump is still correct, I set mine to slightly more oil due to the aftermarket exhaust, filter and lower gearing causing higher revs on the road. I also check the power valve cable slack as well, I haven't bothered messing with the power valve adjustment, but that's a bit of a non-issue anyway.

Both had the air filters cleaned after a ride in the dirt, chain checking is the same regardless as is tyres and cables and stuff.

I did about 9000 miles on both bikes and the CRM only just is starting to show signs of needing a top-end rebuild, slightly down on power, a bit rattly and smoking a touch more.

On average, they've cost me about the same to maintain, the TTR needs the oil doing and stuff which costs, whereas the money saved on replacing engine oil and filters all the time on the CRM is negated by the chain-stretching, tyre chewing and 25MPG.

The main question should be, "How good are you on the spanners?" That would sway my decision massively, a top-end rebuild on a two stroke is easy, but will be daunting if you don't know what you're doing. Which points back to a four stroke, which will put up with poor maintenance better and for slightly longer, but when it does catch up with it, the bill will probably be more than a two stroke.

Sorry for the long post, I haven't posted for months and it's as if it's all catching up. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K

Last edited by Fladdem on 21:53 - 25 Sep 2016; edited 1 time in total

YamHondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:06 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am not very good with a spanner Embarassed my dad is but he's never had anything to do with a 2 stroke, and I have a mate who is very good with bikes 2 and 4 stroke and would do anything very cheap, so that's not an issue. The only thing what could be an issue is not being able to get to work. What would be the first signs of needing new (insert strange words here) and a rebuild ?.

I just don't want to be riding along and all of sudden the engine giving up on me which I have read has happened to a lot of people with 2 strokes including my brother.

Thanks for the help, you've helped me out a lot, sorry for the newbie Ness lol I have no idea how to change anything like pistons etc I know how to do anything to a bike just nothing to do with engine internals.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most off-road two strokes are kick start, if it starts getting really easy to push the lever, that's poor compression in the engine, could be a sign of worn piston rings, these seal the cylinder around the piston and keep all the air/fuel/2t oil in the top of the engine under compression for when it sparks, if it can't be compressed it won't burn properly resulting in poor power output. Worn rings will cause the piston to slop around in the cylinder and make a rattly noise running. If the engine is worn, different components will heat up at different speeds and then eventually the piston will jam.

I've never seized a bike so I don't know what it feels like, but hard starting, extra smoke, more than usual, rattling and poor compression, i.e easy kick start lever, are all signs that the piston will require looking at.

I went to college and studied mechanics, everything I know about two strokes, however, I have taught myself using the internet and just reading things in books, we didn't touch two stroke engines at all. For some reason I think two strokes are great and I want to learn as much as I can about them and the way they work and how to tune them Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to counter Fladdem's excellent positive for the strokers view, I've blown 3 two strokes up and it's always been suddenly one minute your riding buzzing along and the next it's deadly silent in the middle of the night as you coast to the side of the road, and that's if you whip the clutch in pronto if it's a proper nip up instead of a holed piston which is just as common. Laughing

Sods law it'll be the furthest point between towns or as far from home as possible on a quiet road with no garages or phone signal. Also in my experience the old adage of the fastest best performance from a stroker usually comes just before it blows up on your ass.

The advice about tired smokey hard to start strokers needing a rebuild while the warning signs are there are worth following. The re-build is usually far cheaper when you do it before it grenades into total internal carnage. Thing is two of my blow ups have been self inflicted and on low mileage engines with lots of compression. Its the idiot thats just had spanners all over it, thrown a load of aftermarket parts on and fiddled about with files and grinding tools thats caused the issue.

You can have a lean running engine, One with air in the oil supply system, or have detonation from too much compression, too low octane fuel or a too hot grade sparkplug, and for a short time it can run like a champ and feel like a rocket. Unfortunately it usually ends up quickly fizzling out just like one too!

Good luck and don't be put off by an old high mileage 10previous owners 2stroke, I'm sure it'll be fine probably maybe? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 305 days between these two posts...

Nottsbiker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company on ebay in Romford iirc that import trail bikes from France so you can get an electric start DT-R for about £1500 in good-ish condition that you just need to MOT / insure then you can get a UK V5

No DT-R will ever lose money now - have you seen the price of UK ones now?

Nottsbiker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:22 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company on ebay in Romford iirc that import trail bikes from France so you can get an electric start DT-R for about £1500 in good-ish condition that you just need to MOT / insure then you can get a UK V5

No DT-R will ever lose money now - have you seen the price of UK ones now?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1