Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What would you say to a younger you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, another one for me.

Do not brake up with your now ex girlfriend because you convince yourself that your getting bored and life is more fun being single. The one you moronically gave up a scholarship for. The grass, certainly is not always greener on the other side, You WILL regret it, almost every day. Twat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say to me "Don't get married, join the army instead".
It's something I really really wish I'd done. Too old and too fat now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Oh, another one for me.

Do not brake up with your now ex girlfriend because you convince yourself that your getting bored and life is more fun being single. The one you moronically gave up a scholarship for. The grass, certainly is not always greener on the other side, You WILL regret it, almost every day. Twat.

That's the weakest fucking shite I've heard all week sorry!

You might well have got 10years in, two kids and a joint mortgage on a nice cosy place you've put your money and time into, when she fucks off and takes your house, kids, TV, and car etc.

Grass might not always be greener true, but remember that time can change people beyond anything you ever expected, as can money or career progression/success.

Oh and I've never understood the splitting up with someone because you think you're bored or wondering if you could do better etc. In my experience most relationships end because one or both people are fucking someone else, or because career progression or success changes a person and makes them feel falsely superior or better than someone else.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Would you say it's actually so bad that there's no point getting into it? Or is it simply that it isn't as good as before, but still it's not that bad compared to a lot of other areas? Specially for a computer nerd who's spent enough years in front of a screen that he'd gladly be paid any reasonable sum for it anyway.

Difficult to say, just don't expect it to be long term well paying.

Heh, I don't mind earning a pittance either to be honest, as long as the work is engaging. Peter Pan student life taught me to get by without very much already. Current job pays about 50% of the local average - all my Chinese mates* comment on how little it is compared to their own salaries. Affords me a better life than I could have had back home though..!

(* most foreigners - mainly English teachers - earn piss-take amounts and live like kings)
Quote:

Lord Percy wrote:
Fair points. Good thing I'm in China then Dance! (for now).

Maybe, but China costs are going up so expect the work to go to cheaper places.

I'm secretly praying for their housing bubble to burst. Alternatively I wouldn't be surprised if the government manipulated the currency or used other measures to make sure China stays competitive with costs.

angryjonny wrote:

Web application development, however, is growing.

Awesome, my employer does exactly that. Well they probably do whatever comes their way, but in particular they've been getting me up to speed with what's involved in that area.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:07 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: obviously Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I'd rob the bastard at gunpoint.

Noob mistake. Give him all of your money, then collect it now with interest.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Awesome, my employer does exactly that. Well they probably do whatever comes their way, but in particular they've been getting me up to speed with what's involved in that area.

I assume you're working for an outsourced development company then - other companies send you specifications and you send back software that matches the specifications but is essentially useless?

We toyed with outsourcing 10-15 years back (twas India in those days) and it didn't really work for us. Any ambiguity in the spec was interpreted in ways we'd never expect and we got the weirdest stuff back. That's the main reason why agile development was invented - to give the business users access to the developers and visibility of what's being developed to catch any problems early. To ensure the developers understand the problem they're solving. Problem is that you can't really outsource agile development very successfully. It's not stopping people trying, but it defeats the point of it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

I assume you're working for an outsourced development company then - other companies send you specifications and you send back software that matches the specifications but is essentially useless?

We toyed with outsourcing 10-15 years back (twas India in those days) and it didn't really work for us. Any ambiguity in the spec was interpreted in ways we'd never expect and we got the weirdest stuff back. That's the main reason why agile development was invented - to give the business users access to the developers and visibility of what's being developed to catch any problems early. To ensure the developers understand the problem they're solving. Problem is that you can't really outsource agile development very successfully. It's not stopping people trying, but it defeats the point of it.

To be honest I'm still so new to it that I couldn't really say for sure what the main setup here is all about. Doesn't help that it's all in Chinese Laughing

Pretty sure you're right with what you've said though. It's basically an office of 4 young nerdy programmer guys and a manager (who also knows about programming) who drops in every now and again. Current project looks like it's going to be a personnel management system for a local civil aviation authority.

Either way, I'll just carry on and see where things go. It's already far better than the very little I had going for me before.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
To be honest I'm still so new to it that I couldn't really say for sure what the main setup here is all about. Doesn't help that it's all in Chinese Laughing

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/job_interview.png

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/onboarding.png

...etc...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
All these stories of missed sex.

Its terrible how much we miss out on!

In the last 3 years I've had two instances of fellas, both of whom I would happily have gone off and lived happily-ever-after, tell me that they were much more interested in me, than the impression I got at the time. Doh! you guys!

But then ... if I had - I wouldn't have the one I do now Wub
(and even with me THROWING MYSELF at him, he's been a slippery customer to get my hands on Rolling Eyes Laughing )

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you girls just say it outright?!

Inb4, "where would be the fun in that?" Brick Wall
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

There isn't a rating for 'couldn't agree more, head nodding madly!', mores the pity!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Alternatively I wouldn't be surprised if the government manipulated the currency or used other measures to make sure China stays competitive with costs.

Eh? I think they've been doing that a while.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

There isn't a rating for 'couldn't agree more, head nodding madly!', mores the pity!

Most men (certainly myself!) are really bad at reading women and we know it.
Most women are really bad at reading men, but they usually have some odd belief that they aren't...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You might well have got 10years in, two kids and a joint mortgage on a nice cosy place you've put your money and time into, when she fucks off and takes your house, kids, TV, and car etc.

Grass might not always be greener true, but remember that time can change people beyond anything you ever expected, as can money or career progression/success.

This ^^.
People change!

Both parties in a relationship will change (Guaranteed!).
In some ways they'll get closer but in others they'll move apart.
Add in the stress of kids, debt, work and hormones and it's quite surprising that so many people actually stay together for so long.
But I'd guess for many of them (Not All!) it about kids, convenience and a comfort zone...

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:13 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Do NOT have children.

Amen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:38 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Do NOT have children.

Amen.

Then don't complain, ever, about what gets imported to replace the children that you chose not to have.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy that KMX, one night things will start going wrong, you will lose your keys, then you will find that you have run out of petrol, then you will get a mechanical breakdown.

Just give up and walk home because A&E awaits. Confused

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Inb4, "where would be the fun in that?" Brick Wall

See, I never would have done that. I was always "big" (fat) so I never really imagined I was particularly attractive. The only thing men saw was the tits. I didn't mind that, it was the gateway to male attention, so I was happy, still am Wink even though I now see myself as attractive, despite being fat and elderly Laughing

Even in the times I was a slender wee thing, all of about 18 months Rolling Eyes - despite that my self confidence in general, in myself as a smart chick about town, was well grounded - but my confidence in my pulling power was not.

So I always waited (and still do) for guys to make the first move, as I couldn't bear to have been rejected or laughed at for trying to chat someone up.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:58 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Do NOT have children.

Amen.

Parents usually bang on about how great their kids are?!? whats gone wrong here?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They take up a fuckload of your time (life) and money.

They give you major fucking grief while they are growing up, and you worry yourself sick that they will survive, thrive, get on well in all aspects of their life. You put your whole self into trying to be exactly the best parent you possibly can, with all the pressures of society, the media and your neighbours who can hear you thrashing the granny out of them.

And then they bugger off and become grown-ups.
They never phone, they never write.
They hang out and get mixed up with the most inappropriate people who will be no good for them.
And they blame you for everything that goes wrong with their lives.

Kids, eh.
Who'd have 'em.
Wub

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
They take up a fuckload of your time (life) and money.

They give you major fucking grief while they are growing up, and you worry yourself sick that they will survive, thrive, get on well in all aspects of their life. You put your whole self into trying to be exactly the best parent you possibly can, with all the pressures of society, the media and your neighbours who can hear you thrashing the granny out of them.

And then they bugger off and become grown-ups.
They never phone, they never write.
They hang out and get mixed up with the most inappropriate people who will be no good for them.
And they blame you for everything that goes wrong with their lives.

Kids, eh.
Who'd have 'em.
Wub

So yours haven't done the whole 'bounce back and bail me out of shit' thing yet?...
Can't be long now as they've already done the 'blame the parents for my fuck-ups' stage. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:58 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

So yours haven't done the whole 'bounce back and bail me out of shit' thing yet?...
Can't be long now as they've already done the 'blame the parents for my fuck-ups' stage. Laughing

Nah, I think we did the "bouncing back and bailing me out" thing a few times already, although I had a particularly virulent bout of it when I was 37, myself.

I'm hoping to bypass the blaming-the-parents stage, but it sometimes creeps up on you unexpectedly Rolling Eyes

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always consider the opportunity cost.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ... sometimes the cost of the opportunity is not immediately obvious, so you have to go in blind. Shifty

But the choice at that point is not about the risk/cost, its usually about your willingness to either change your life or to do something you're pretty confident you want to do.

Cost-calculation is usually retrospective, due to it being impossible to calculate until you're thigh-deep in the quagmire of your own personal choosing.

That's, uh, life.
Laughing

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Then don't complain, ever, about what gets imported to replace the children that you chose not to have.
Yeah, mysteriously our house seemed to fill up with cats and dogs. Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6