Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:
I have A1 and a valid Theory

Do you still need a valid theory if you hold an A1?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Yeah, I think so, because it's not classed as progressive access. Pinky stuck together a good summary a few days ago but can't find it at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Yeah, I think so, because it's not classed as progressive access. Pinky stuck together a good summary a few days ago but can't find it at the moment.

That's another anomaly then, as to pass the A1, you need to pass the Theory and the 2 modules for the full A1 licence.
It's almost as if the A1 Licence is not treated as a full licence.
I have no idea why you would need to pass the theory twice on the same vehicle type, to gain an A licence from an A1.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Pjay wrote:

I'm such a dick - couldn't find it because it was in this thread!

Pinky wrote:
It's a fucking minefield to get your head around it all. But I will try. And it comes from an examiner.

If you do the A1 licence and wait 2 years full years then do A2 at 19 you do not need to renew the theory. You can then upgrade after another full 2 years to full A category and you do not need to renew your theory as it is classed as progressive access.

A2 to full A is treated the same, after 2 full years of an A2 licence you do not need the theory to upgrade.

A1 to full A is not called progressive access it is classed as Direct Access and a theory is needed as you are skipping a step. (I know its backwards, the examiner knows its backwards but there you have it)

If you are upgrading from A2 to A before 2 years have passed on A2 (normally age) then you need a valid theory again. EG Jimmy passed his A2 at 22 and a half years old but his theory expired 6 months before he turns 24 and wants to do the upgrade as soon as he is 24 he'll need to either retake his theory or wait the 6 months until he has held his licence a full 2 years.

There as clear as mud!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the last of the 33bhp days, I was asked for my insurance certificate in York, I wasn't in Rotherham. I told the examiner in york it was under my seat (it was, along with £20, a nokia and my RAC card), and offered to get it. He sad it's be ok.

I'm not sure it they are supposed to demand proof, but I think the examiner was just reading my face.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I'm not sure it they are supposed to demand proof

It's not on the list of required documents, so Derek has no business asking for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
arry wrote:

That's another anomaly then, as to pass the A1, you need to pass the Theory and the 2 modules for the full A1 licence.
It's almost as if the A1 Licence is not treated as a full licence.
I have no idea why you would need to pass the theory twice on the same vehicle type, to gain an A licence from an A1.

What Pinky said, but the tl;dr under 2 years theory required as direct access, over 2 years not required as progressive access.

Rogerborg wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:
I'm not sure it they are supposed to demand proof

It's not on the list of required documents, so Derek has no business asking for it.

Obviously best to have them just in case, but I wasn't ask for my theory test or CBT certificate(s).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked for CBT, Theory and MOD 1, but not insurance. You do have to declare it is in place and valid, but I have yet to hear of anyone asking for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if being with an instructor had a bearing on how hard they looked at your docs... the school didn't ask to see them either Laughing

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I was wondering if being with an instructor had a bearing on how hard they looked at your docs... the school didn't ask to see them either Laughing

They've never asked us for insurance docs. Only restriction certs, and they now have a copy of them on their own files so we do not even have to bring them down anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thumbs down Rog, it was just a question.

Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Thanks for the thumbs down Rog, it was just a question.

Shocked

Have you considered a TDM read the ratings guide?

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Only restriction certs, and they now have a copy of them on their own files

Given how easy it is to unrestrict some FI bikes (throttle stop, maybe unplug a box-o-trix) isn't that fairly... er, restrictive on your ability to run the same bike as A or A2 depending on the learner?

Actually, scrub that, I guess you have to insure it as one or t'other.

Thaaaaanks, Brussels.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Have you considered a TDM read the ratings guide?

Yes, but much like 99.9% of the membership, I tend not to be petty enough to dish out negative karma for such minor infractions.

Whatever gets you up in the morning though.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Only restriction certs, and they now have a copy of them on their own files

Given how easy it is to unrestrict some FI bikes (throttle stop, maybe unplug a box-o-trix) isn't that fairly... er, restrictive on your ability to run the same bike as A or A2 depending on the learner?

Actually, scrub that, I guess you have to insure it as one or t'other.

Thaaaaanks, Brussels.

Nope, we have one bike that has an ECU restriction. We can swap full and A2 restrictors in seconds, the examiners just ask to see what ecu is in there. Insurance is sorted by the boss. So fuck knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CivilDrone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much digging around and calling various brokers I've managed to get a cover for the bike
100 miles (purely for the module 1&2 purpose) for a month
On A1 licence, I am sure it can be provisional but not guaranteed
quoted £165
A license holder will get the bike to the DVSA and whilst on the road within the proximity of the examiner/qualified instructor
Still a better deal than temp cover, which couldn't even cover on provisional/A1
Hope this will be of some use
Thanks for all the help and input
Regards

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:49 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:
Hope this will be of some use

It'd be more use if you told us the broker and underwriter.

CivilDrone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god.. Very Happy
Its Bikesure. The only way to get a quote is over the phone which might be somewhat long winded but at least its an option
Forgot to ask one last thing:
Do I need CBT for the DAS if I have A1 already?
My understanding is that I need A1 and Theory to go for mod 1&2?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, thanks. Is that the only broker that was interested? It's the only one that we know of, sadly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2