BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who's ridden to Italy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stuckmojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to my hometown in Italy in 2 days from Newcastle.

I don't mind long motorway rides, so it' s chunnel and to Metz, then Switzerland and home to lake Como.

overnight stay in a castle near Metz.

then next week back but haven't decided route yet. Might go Random and go on a boat in Amsterdam to NCL.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:18 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We chucked the bike on the motorail in paris and picked it up in nice, then headed across to Italy.

to be honest i'm not sure i'd ever do that again, even though the motorail is real easy and well organised, its the messing about with taxis, planes etc that just makes it or of a pain than it should be. its also not that cheap.

you can of course get the train so that might be an easier option.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuckmojo wrote:
home to lake Como.

Lake Como, home. Cool
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Foxbuster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of good advice there guys, thanks.

We'll be traveling from S Wales, so think Chunnel is best option. Looking at 18 days for the trip, so no need to rush anywhere. Our other halves will be flying out to meet us over there for the race weekend, so trying to find somewhere close to misano to stay.
Trying to avoid tolls/motorways as much as possible, and limiting mileage to max of 250 miles a day as we are all on sports bikes.
What are the real stand out routes/places to stay on the way down.
We may even decide to ride back to Bilbao/Santander and ferry back to uk just to take in some of those epic Pyrenees roads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the B500/Black Forest down, and Route des Cretes through the Vosges mountains coming back up. Both cracking roads (I recommend a slight detour through Oppenau, off the B500). See the relevant link in my sig.

Last year, did the Route Napoleon going down, another really good one, especially the southern half. See the other relevant link in my sig Smile

And last month, I did the Route des Grande Alpes coming back up; another terrific ride. See the relevant...well, you know by now Smile And you can read up a bit on the Pyrenees roads there too...bonus! Laughing

Spoilt for choice!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Foxbuster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:50 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've had a slight change of plan:-)

We are now riding from Bilbao to Rimini!

Ferry crossings have been booked, departing Portsmouth on August the 29th 2018 and return sail on the 17th Sept from Santander back to Portsmouth.
Decided we enjoyed the Pyrenees so much last year we will do the entire length of it on the Spanish side, through Sort and then head up towards Rimini.
Pretty much banking on the Misano MotoGP being held on the 9th September.
This will give us plenty of time to avoid motorways and to enjoy the twisties. Booked a hotel in Rimini from the Thursday to the Monday over race weekend and a night in Sort to visit two locals we became mates with last year, the rest we will just make up as we go along.
It's over a year away but I'm well excited already! Smile
As always, any hints/tips/good routes are appreciated Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 225 days between these two posts...

Adrian82
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:06 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning to come to Italy to see the motoGP I personally recommend to go to the Italian GP in Mugello where the atmosphere is much better than Misano (and the track too) and that's a trip that allows you to ride very very nice roads and visit many places in Tuscany. Another option is, what I do every year, to see the CIV (Italian SBK championship) in the Mugello, tickets prices are a joke (10 euros), no stress, only a few people on the track, you can park your bike inside the circuit and the races are really nice Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy is that bit that stick out and looks like a boot.

Adrian82
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Italy is that bit that stick out and looks like a boot.

You're wrong, it's the boot that looks like Italy Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice way down I've done a couple of times is...

ferry to dunkirk - nancy - into black forest and down the B500 - waldshut-tiengen - brienz/interlaken - grimsel pass - furka pass - st gotthard pass/tremola pass (older road.. nicer) (this all looks haywire still on google maps last i looked as the passes are closed for snow)

at this point you head down from airolo to arbedo-castione and you're smack bang between maggiore and como and above lugano... can head wherever from there easily

overnight stops were nancy after an afternoon ferry. then lake brienz which set us up really close to grimsel in the morning... and then into italy... really nice couple of days ride

Stuckmojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:28 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the same trip again - Newcastle - Calais, Stopover for sleep in Metz then early rise to tackle south Germany and the Alps in a day.

Great ride, though I am riding an armchair of an Harley Davidson.

Return will depend entirely on the World Cup. If England gets there I'll either watch it in France OR Belgium, depending on who lost the semi.

I don't mind the long slog through french MW. I have good audiobooks Smile

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, we're going to be in black forest over the weekend too, heading off tomorrow night
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2