Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The A2's trouble with 400's and 650's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:07 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: The A2's trouble with 400's and 650's Reply with quote

Hello all! Right so I've had my license for a few months now and it's time to put the 250 superdream to the side for now. As I have a project for it.

Now I used to be into motocross, and I did that all when I was a kid like most people did, blah blah blah. Now I've been on a few ninja's but after a while they do get a bit boring. So I do have a tad dilemma.

I'm getting in a loan to cover some payments and then I have quite a lot left over to purchase a new bike, new gear and insure it. (I'll still have some left over).

Now I'm after a race bike, I had a SRAD 600 in my garden but I had to get rid of it as it's taken up space and I couldn't ride it on an A2 license.

I do love and admire the feeling of track-racing. But I know to keep it off the road unless for a short little sunday blast but that's it. I live in the South West; covered but tons and tons of twisties, hardly any straights at all.

I'm after a track-bike to also have on the road. As that's what I want really. The only issue that has stumbled on me is the choice of which bike I want. So I'll list some.

Bike List Including Random Insurance Quotes
ZXR 400 - £400 Fully Comp
SV650 - £533 Fully Comp
NC30 - £1,200 Fully Comp

Now it's not a big list but that's what's on my mind, I love the old 400's, I was told the ZXR's are the better choice for performance but most of them are thrashed to pieces and fall apart. NC30's are nice but expensive all round, I like SV's but I'm really un-sure about one.

I go around riding with guy's on GSXR's 600, Aprilia 250 2 strokes, and 2 CBR 1,000's. I know any bike in the a2 license can never keep up with a fully fledged race bike and that's a bit of a downfall when you want to ride with your friends but their bikes are twice/triple the power.

My other concern is how they would all fair with someone on the back, I thankfully have another half that's really into bikes so she would love to come out with me for a ride; but curious to see how they all fair.

So my question would be, what's the performance differences, I know one is a Inline 4, V4 and a V-Twin. I'd love a bike both for on and off the track and I don't mind spending some pennies on getting them up to par.

Just after something that has a chance to keep up with others and will make me grin from ear to ear.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:59 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about keeping up with your mates. If they're worth riding with then you'll all regroup every now and again. If you're relying on the bike to help you keep up then you're an accident waiting to happen.

You can still restrict bikes on the A2 license can't you? Get a 600 and restrict it if you're set on getting a sports bike. Personally I wouldn't bother with the old 400s.

My restricted GPZ500 used to handle long distance motorway runs just fine with a passenger and luggage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: The A2's trouble with 400's and 650's Reply with quote

Are you intending to restrict to 35kW, or "restrict"?

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:19 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: The A2's trouble with 400's and 650's Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Are you intending to restrict to 35kW, or "restrict"?

"Restrict"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:41 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know you want faired because racebike, but have you considered an FZS600? It's at the limit of your 70kW before "restriction" limit. I was impressed by the one that I tried, it felt a lot fresher than its 15 years and was actually too fast for my purposes.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an FZS600 on A2. Would prefer it to an SV650, but I was tempted buy a grey import NC30/NC32. However decent ones command high prices and are often in poor condition.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:54 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
OK, I know you want faired because racebike, but have you considered an FZS600? It's at the limit of your 70kW before "restriction" limit. I was impressed by the one that I tried, it felt a lot fresher than its 15 years and was actually too fast for my purposes.

I honestly have, and I'd be able to take someone on the back with no issue but the style does hit hard for me. Which is annoying. If I had the chance to strip the whole front down and make some projection lights for it I would; but that would take a while.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
but the style does hit hard for me.

Stop giving a fuck about your image until you get an A licence, doesn't hurt the wallet as much either.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairing lowers are available for the FZS600, and for a lot less than those cray-cray fully-comp insurance prices that you're contemplating.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting there are fox-eye variants of the Fazer which look a bit nicer than the older ones. Better built than SVs too.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't gonna say or contribute anything useful as I never have, but all IMO:

1, the 400's are old now, getting harder to get cosmetic bits for and they are no cheaper to run or buy the spares for than the SRAD 600 you had, which is a common track bike and would make a fecking great track day tool for most people. 400cc parts could well be often far pricier than SRAD or Thundercat bits etc. If your only going to ride the bike on the track the 600's are a no brainer bargain.

If your on an A2 and need to ride the track bike on the road (not a great idea at any time) then getting an A2 compliant bike is either gonna hurt your wallet(400's), or not turn you on enough (Fazers, Hornets, Bandits and CB500's etc).

Personally I'd want my track bike to be vanned to every circuit and have no road gear at all. That way I'd be perfectly happy with a cheap and cheerful A2 Street bike to balance the scales.

You said your getting some spare cash coming soon, so could two bikes including a non road legal one be an option for you too?

P.s out of your mates bikes, I'd want the CBR1000F if I had a bucket of cash to throw at modding a bike, it'd be cool to see one on track too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about not keeping up too much. I had a ZZR400 probably the slowest of the sporty looking 400's and though not able to keep on the tail of bigger stuff I was never far behind.

I'd look at a CBR400 NC29 if I was buying a 400 grey again (though I'd love a GK76A). They haven't ballooned in price as much as the NC30's, they use "normal" tyre sizes and parts including cosmetic plastics are still readily available.

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:03 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the NC30, as said it is hard trying to find a nice one for not rediculous money. The expensive ones are usually more original, which is what people want, mines not got proper Honda fairings which brings the price down quite alot. But then i wanted to ride mine and not put it on a rotating plinth.

You could deffinitely get something newer, faster, easier to maintain and cheaper. But then theyre cool as, theyre only going up in price really, and they are ace to ride. When ive been out with other lads on bigger bikes, round the corners theres not much difference, but get to a straight and the inevitable happens.... But get to the pub and everyone wants to ask about the 400 haha.

I love em, but depends what youre after i guess
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foxeye would look good with fairing lowers (box eye looks a bit dated to me). Not a fan of half-fairings, naked or full for me.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The foxeye would look good with fairing lowers (box eye looks a bit dated to me). Not a fan of half-fairings, naked or full for me.

https://www.unitedmotoparts.de/images/product_images/popup_images/Halbverkleidung-Yamaha-FZS-600-02-03-Bugspoiler-Kuehlerabdeckung_6539.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box eye for me not a softened looking trying to appeal to most later rounded bike,even if the mk1 headlights were shit.

Oh and Fazer with a fairing? What part of such a device could even dream of scratching an itch on a VFR?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1