Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strong and stable leadership from MAG on bike thefts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:28 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Strong and stable leadership from MAG on bike thefts Reply with quote

As a pdf, because it's 1997. I only hope they never find the <blink> tag.

https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/e/e8/Position_Statement_Crime.pdf

MAG Position Statement
Motorcycle Crime: Enough is Enough

History
Theft of mopeds, motorcycles and scooters has long been a difficult crime to combat. However between 2015 and 2017 there
has been a massive increase in such crimes - exceeding 600% - with the perpetrators resorting to new and horrific methods.
Motorcycle theft and bike-jacking (the taking of a motorcycle by force, essentially robbery) is a crime epidemic spiralling out of
control everywhere - especially in London - and shows no sign of abating. Bikers all over the country are victims of these
crimes. Directly, they suffer the loss of their machines. Indirectly, they endure increased insurance premiums as insurance
companies seek to offset their losses. The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, Metropolitan Police Superintendent Mark Payne of
Operation Venice, and others in positions of authority nationwide have publicly stated that motorcycle theft is partly the fault of
the owners for not securing their vehicles properly.

Reality
More and more bikers are securing their machines but there are not sufficient anchor points provided for them to do so. Local
authorities experiencing austerity cuts are unlikely to provide extra anchor points so bikers are, in many cases, anchoring to
street furniture as an alternative, but these vehicles continue to be stolen. Even so, the small fall in the theft of machines that
are secured has been offset by a corresponding rise in bike-jacking. Bikers are asking: what can we do when we are pushed off
our machines and they are stolen from under us, or we are followed home and robbed there, often with weapons? There is no
Police Crime Prevention advice or message in relation to bike-jacking. Riders are left to improvise.

Assessment of the situation
Due to the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) and other riders’ rights groups there is an increase in public and rider
awareness. However, this crime epidemic will not cease until the authorities stop blaming the victims or punishing them when
they take preventative measures, such as running a red light, exceeding speed limits or riding in a prohibited bus lane whilst
trying to escape. In the same context, riders are extremely concerned that they try to secure their machines to street furniture
to prevent theft, only to receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). Finally, due to potential litigation and negative IPCC enquiries,
police officers are placed in a very difficult position when it comes to chasing suspected thieves. It is often the case that they
may subsequently be the subject of an inquiry, leading to a police culture which massively reduces the motivation to seek to
apprehend the criminals.

MAG Position
The Police, Government and Judiciary have to take ownership of this problem and do something now. The Motorcycle Action
Group is calling for the following measures to be implemented:
 Victim blaming must end, publically and financially.
 Victims must be supported just as any other 'wounded' community and discretion shown to those riders who through
taking preventative measures find themselves having to commit an offence"
 Police pursuit policies should be addressed urgently and officers supported.
 Police should issue guidance on preventative measures regarding bike-jacking and on-highway assaults.
 The Judicial system must hand down meaningful sentences that deter others.
 Young offenders must be given a deterrent sentence, rather than cautions or derisory penalties.
 Compensation orders must cover recovery and repair to a bike, plus the increased premiums.

MAG is on the move, encouraging members to continue to push the crime prevention message.
MAG is working to take active steps, directly, to bring these offenders to justice.

The NPCC, Home Office & the Judiciary must respond to this crime epidemic.
The current response is not good enough.
MAG challenges the relevant authorities to address this problem promptly and robustly.
Bikers have had enough: Enough IS enough

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Strong and stable leadership from MAG on bike thefts Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

MAG is on the move

Wow, I bet the little bikelife cunts will be quaking in their balaclavas.

Is it just me, or are MAG the least effective pressure group in the history of public protests, or is that just my impression?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see why you obsess about them. I discarded MAG as an irrelevancy years ago, and even back when I was a member, for most people it was more about getting pissed and stoned at their functions than any belief that they'd ever achieve anything.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually report (more or less) verbatim. Spreading the word.

Why do you support bike thieves?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part is surprisingly lucid. The second part is just noise.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Why do you ask such stupid questions? Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Why do you ask such stupid questions? Rolling Eyes

And heeeeeere comes the racism.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And heeeeeere comes the racism.

Had to lol.
Look, it's simple. Back when I was in MAG, I saw that motorcyclists were a tiny minority with no political clout. It didn't help that Joe Public didn't like us much either. We were all tarred with the same brush. Pubs had signs outside saying "No Bikers" (well, that much has changed - there aren't any decent pubs anymore Laughing). I don't really see anything that makes things look more positive today. Sure, I'd like to see the police crack down on bike thieves. But until it's our lords and masters who suffer from it, it ain't going to happen (I share your cynicism there).

It's why I generally steer clear of politics. It has never really mattered that much to me who's in office and who's not. It doesn't affect me in a big way. I've succeeded or failed on my own merits (or lack of) in life. I don't see that changing any. And at this point, I should probably implode with cynicism Laughing

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 'mag' I've got any faith in is the one you shove up a 9mm.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:24 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Had to lol.

Then my job is done.

I mirror MAG's missives more in mirth than m... anger.

In terms of effectiveness, I cannot find any evidence that MAG has successfully influenced any national or EU policy or law, ever. Even the leg protectors in nineteen-dickety-six seems like an apocryphal pub boast.

That's distinct from local groups' successes with councils (or failures in my local group's case), but you don't need a national organisation for that.

That's not to say that I don't agree with them most of the time, and definitely in this case. I just don't see what result they expect to see from stamping their foot.

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:33 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAG is working to take active steps, directly, to bring these offenders to justice.

How? Details and proof required to back up this statement.
Most amusing thing I have read all day.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtisme wrote:

MAG passim wrote:
News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

MAG calls for witnesses to MP attack by ‘yobs, not bikers’

This version: 2017 08 01 Embargo: IMMEDIATE

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) is appealing for anyone who witnessed the attack on Labour MP Steve McCabe in Birmingham to come forward with information ‘for the sake of justice and the reputation of biking.’

The MP suffered facial injuries when he was hit in the face with a brick thrown by a yob, apparently on a used off-road machine. Labour's Steve McCabe MP said two people were riding "really recklessly" in Birmingham’s Yardley Wood area, and he shouted at them to stop or he would call the police. The Birmingham Selly Oak MP has given a statement to police, and said he has a "beautiful black eye."

Mr McCabe stated "we've had umpteen complaints about this kind of dangerous behaviour and so I shouted at them to pack it in or I'd call the police. These are really quite nasty, violent thugs."

Colin Brown, MAG’s West Midlands Regional Representative, said ‘we understand the MP has tweeted pictures of two thugs allegedly involved in the attack. MAG is utterly determined to ensure that the yobs involved with this are brought to justice. That’s because MAG does not recognise these idiots as bikers – but simply as hooligans on two wheels. The legitimate riding group is a close knit community. We’ll find them and then they’ll find justice – and the legal system will hit them in the face like the brick they threw at Mr McCabe.’

MAG has been in contact with Mr McCabe’s team and, as well as offering our support for his recovery, has agreed to work with him and his office to catch the culprits. If you have any information regarding the perpetrators of this crime, please contact Mr McCabe’s office in confidence on 0121 443 3878, Birmingham Police, or call MAG on 01926 844 064 and we will pass on the information in confidence. Colin Brown adds ‘let’s stop this mindless thuggery and make it clear that these people aren’t bikers, they’re common criminals.’

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or central-office@mag-uk.org

Look, an agreement and all sorts.

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:17 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the yobs haven't handed themselves in already.
The mighty MAG have directly and actively issued an email address and telephone number.
Case solved.
NEXT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1