BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance Mob Racket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only drop I noticed was after the gender ruling (circa 2012 iirc).

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Pete. wrote:
6 grands worth of damage, apparently.

That should be taken to the courts or something (don't ask?)? That's absolutely ludicrous?

Some serious f*cking gravy training going on here then and we're all having to top up the coffers?

Surely the government, as they are the ones enforcing this whole racket should be liable for ensuring bullsh*t like this does not happen (ie the end users are not ripped a new one each and every year)?

Auz model makes sense to me (not that I know it intimately) but goes along the lines of, the gov provide basic cover to meet legal requirements (thirds party) and anything over and above that is your problem.

Basic cover to get legal is cheap as chips out there Thinking

57 plate Corsa, that's the only damage, write off

https://i.imgur.com/e7fnZ3Y.jpg

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well chuck this in here, seems related...

Bike renewal came through from Devitt and my premium has increased almost 300% Shocked

Looking around everything was coming up as > £1000, eventually found GoSkippy which has come out cheapest @ £666 Sad is that a sign?

Not happy but have no choice as everything else is at least double so will just have to take my chances, here's hoping they don't disappear into the sunset again with everyone's money and that I don't have to claim.

When I eventually contacted Devitt (an impossible task in itself) to tell them to cancel the auto renewal, they were like sure, ok, thnx bye. Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
skatefreak wrote:

That should be taken to the courts or something (don't ask?)? That's absolutely ludicrous?

Some serious f*cking gravy training going on here then and we're all having to top up the coffers?

57 plate Corsa, that's the only damage, write off

https://i.imgur.com/e7fnZ3Y.jpg

Someone clearly fancied your car? My 306 was not much worse than that Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

Bike renewal came through from Devitt and my premium has increased almost 300% Shocked

Looking around everything was coming up as > £1000, eventually found GoSkippy which has come out cheapest @ £666 Sad is that a sign?

Not happy but have no choice as everything else is at least double so will just have to take my chances, here's hoping they don't disappear into the sunset again with everyone's money and that I don't have to claim.

When I eventually contacted Devitt (an impossible task in itself) to tell them to cancel the auto renewal, they were like sure, ok, thnx bye. Thumbs Up

Just ran a quote myself. Cheapest £320 TPO with MCE (gone up a tiny bit since I last checked), next cheapest £835 Shocked. I also assume you're being honest (unlike me) about the bike being parked on the street etc.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

Bloody hell. I thought I was being ripped off when mine went up by £20 (about 20%) but I got them to come back down by £15.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Just ran a quote myself. Cheapest £320 TPO with MCE (gone up a tiny bit since I last checked), next cheapest £835 Shocked. I also assume you're being honest (unlike me) about the bike being parked on the street etc.

I had to lie on most saying it was garaged at home just to get it under £1500, however on the goskippy policy was honest with everything including "parked on drive" even declared mods etc

Nexus Icon wrote:

Bloody hell. I thought I was being ripped off when mine went up by £20 (about 20%) but I got them to come back down by £15.

alright for some Thumbs UpLaughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes have always lived in an imaginary garage Whistle I see you're Sarf London, might have something to with it. Do MCE like you? I'm paranoid now everyone's putting their prices up and they're just being slow.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:05 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we have all this nonsense at the start of the decade with a few government committees looking into it to sort things out?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 years ago I broke a windscreen. Phoned around a few places for quotes. £500. £450. £500.

One then said "wait, are you paying for this, or is your insurer?". I said I was.

"Oh well... £150 then."

15 years ago.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:08 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
My bikes have always lived in an imaginary garage Whistle

Apropos that, I've just been inboxed with this:

Bennetts wrote:
The importance of keeping your bike in a garage

You may have heard stories in the news and online about the increase in bike thefts across the UK, particularly in London. Theft is responsible for 30% of claims, and 21.9% of these claims occur at the home address*.

Here at Bennetts, we want to help our customers keep their bikes safe and secure. You’ve told us that you keep your bike in a garage, which is great as it helps keep your bike out of sight. So it’s really important that you use it.

That’s why we also wanted to remind you of any specific endorsements on your policy relating to keeping your bike in a garage should you ever need to make a claim. These can be found in your policy documentation.

You can find further useful information on bike crime and security on our website here:

Motorcycle Security

And from our news arm, BikeSocial, here:

Motorcycle crime: The facts

Those links probably won't work thanks to BCF's messed up adlinks - blame Ste.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last policy with Devitt said if the bike is stolen within a radius of the property and it's not garaged then the excess doubles, are most policies here like that? Or are there cases where if it gets taken at home and there's no garage they don't pay out?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
My bikes have always lived in an imaginary garage Whistle

Apropos that, I've just been inboxed with this:

Bennetts wrote:
The importance of keeping your bike in a garage

You may have heard stories in the news and online about the increase in bike thefts across the UK, particularly in London. Theft is responsible for 30% of claims, and 21.9% of these claims occur at the home address*.

Here at Bennetts, we want to help our customers keep their bikes safe and secure. You’ve told us that you keep your bike in a garage, which is great as it helps keep your bike out of sight. So it’s really important that you use it.

That’s why we also wanted to remind you of any specific endorsements on your policy relating to keeping your bike in a garage should you ever need to make a claim. These can be found in your policy documentation.

You can find further useful information on bike crime and security on our website here:

Motorcycle Security

And from our news arm, BikeSocial, here:

Motorcycle crime: The facts

Those links probably won't work thanks to BCF's messed up adlinks - blame Ste.

Well on a TPO policy I don't see why my policy should be loaded when I don't have theft cover. On a Fire and Theft policy if you have reasonably secure parking at home, having theft cover might be handy if you park the bike on street during the day. Can't really think of a way to justify that one Smile, I only go F&T if it's cheaper anyway.

vice wrote:
My last policy with Devitt said if the bike is stolen within a radius of the property and it's not garaged then the excess doubles, are most policies here like that? Or are there cases where if it gets taken at home and there's no garage they don't pay out?

I have heard of 'garaged' bikes being cleaned and pinched on the driveway having claims refused.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Well on a TPO policy I don't see why my policy should be loaded when I don't have theft cover.

Stolen and stacked into a bus stop full of nuns. Your insurance pays out. Then they come after you.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a significant risk, either to them, nor to you. If it is causing a big difference in quotations (or they won't quote without it), then they're playing silly buggers and I'd approve of you beating them at their own game.

Just be aware that when it does get nicked you should get the policy cancelled sharpish if you don't find it in a hedge round the corner.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Well on a TPO policy I don't see why my policy should be loaded when I don't have theft cover.

Stolen and stacked into a bus stop full of nuns. Your insurance pays out. Then they come after you.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a significant risk, either to them, nor to you. If it is causing a big difference in quotations (or they won't quote without it), then they're playing silly buggers and I'd approve of you beating them at their own game.

Just be aware that when it does get nicked you should get the policy cancelled sharpish if you don't find it in a hedge round the corner.

I won't be telling them it's stolen, I'll be telling them to stop the policy because "I no longer have the bike". Only problem might be police involvement, IIRC someone on here had the popo contact their insurers directly Rolling Eyes
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Edit, just read TPO. Really? why then?

Because cheaper.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
Edit, just read TPO. Really? why then?

Because cheaper.

But don't criminals like street triples, especially pre 2012 models?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2