Bali?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Bali? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long shot, but have any of you been to Bali?

If so, Is there much in the way of motorcycle hire? I have found a couple, such as 66 Motorcycle but was wondering if there was any recommendations.

Also, any tips and advice? Roads maybe, or dos and don'ts?

If it helps, we will be in Ubud most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Bali twice. Once in 1998. Again in 2016. Never ridden a bike there. Wouldn't if I am being totally honest. Roads are bad. Traffic is bad. And standard of driving/riding is low.

Seen plenty of tourists riding around on mopeds (cubs, not scootays) so I am sure you can rent bikes.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:33 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been 3 times. Beautiful place, absolutely gorgeous.

However, roads/traffic are bloody atrocious, wouldn't be my idea of fun...

Take a taxi and enjoy the spectacular views. Hire one for a day and you'll get the same flexibility as driving yourself, without the stress/hassle/death.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, a bit of research done, and it aligns with what you are saying!

So I shall be steering well clear of hiring a bike I think.

But, while have you, Any musts in in terms of things to see and do?

Any Dos and don'ts?

Ta. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:01 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pura Besakih Temple at the base of Mount Arung, one of the volcanos, is worth a visit. Don't bother with the (famous?) temple on the south coast by the sea, it's fairly small and was surrounded by a village of touts and tourist tat shops when I was last there (7 yrs ago?).

May sound strange but check out the local magazines for who's playing, you sometimes get fairly decent bands passing through doing small gigs. Hard Rock Cafe is one to look up as they sometimes go there. You'll find free english "What's on" magazines in pretty much any touristy place (most of Ubud).

A trip through the rice fields is always nice for a photo or two, other than that, chill on the beach Wink Nusa Dua has some nice ones, it's all high end hotels there, but there's nothing to stop you walking through them to the beach Wink Theres public access to the beach too. The sea may be a little lively, the island is big with surfers, but it's still beautiful and warm. The "blow hole" down there is kinda cool - like a little channel that the waves come in to and get funneled upwards. There's also a small mall in Nusa Dua which is handy for food and such. A fair few "knock off" shops there too, but it's prime tourist area so prices will be higher than they should be for your normal knock-offs. It's "winter" (lol) so there should be a cool breeze to stop you from boiling.

If you like seafood you'll be in heaven. Hit the beaches, find the small restaurant shacks selling today's catch. Amazingly fresh fish and it tastes so good. Less pollution down in the Southern Hemisphere Wink

As I say though, it's been 7 yrs since I was last there, much may have changed. It will probably be worth taking a look on tripadvisor/lonely planet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1