Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike you got then?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:19 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started riding again a few years ago, last ride was also in childhood and things escalated rather quickly.
Now I´m sticking to four bikes, the oldest being a road bike which started out as a TT buil but soon swapped out the handlebars, stem and shifters.

Ridley Phaeton
Older Ultegra hubs and derailleurs, still need to change the shifters, because they´re Sora-s, can´t change gear when you´re on the drops.
https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/Andre_Petraudze/IMG_6635_zpskqbmjgb3.jpg

Cube Analog
Then it was time to get a proper 29" but I´m left with just the original frame, fork and seat. Recently just got a set of Stan´s notubes Crest wheels, will be wrapped in Vredestein Spotted Cat (my choise for the xc), also running 1x11 SLX groupset.
https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/Andre_Petraudze/IMG_6632_zpsbmlortkk.jpg

Avanti Team Chrono
Two years ago I went to Australia for a year and once I got there found out that they have an official Ironaman race in the town I stayed in, so seemed like the best time to do my first full distance. Fell in love with the bike so took it back to Estonia with me Smile
Sram Force groupset with Sram S60 wheels, really fast bike.
https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/Andre_Petraudze/IMG_1423_zps2cl6joep.jpg

Evil Faction
The last one just somehow seemed like a good idea, needed a project and actually finished it today. Dirt jump bike for goofing around and learning better technique.
Sram XO
https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/Andre_Petraudze/IMG_6629_zpszlatje0q.jpg

And now I´m thinking about getting a winter bike that would be something to keep in the basement and get some rides in before spring. Motor or not, you can newer have too many two wheeled contraptions Smile

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:27 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missus didn't get on with her mountain bike as she struggled with the gears and kep falling off, so we rented a tandem in San Francisco and Napa on holiday and she was hooked Embarassed

We've now bought an Orbit Velocity tandem with XT gearing and disc brakes. After struggling to ride 15 miles in SF, she's now managed 65 miles in a day in the Yorkshire Dales. It's a bit of a laugh, slow uphill, OK on the flat and faster than my roadbike downhill at 47mph Laughing

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarted up the commuter a bit

https://i.imgur.com/Wmkb500.jpg

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fatbike.
https://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/Zippykona/48EBBF18-A94D-47E3-AA1D-FBEDEDE3D0F5_zps53ltukoh.jpg
https://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/Zippykona/F456EF5B-A7BA-4B25-8C13-6E0A66BB414F_zpskwnwlhv4.jpg

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this for weekend rides, and the occasional commute.
Would ideally like to get a road bike for the commute though, this is a bit hard work Embarassed

https://i.imgur.com/JWukojV.jpg?4

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:43 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new (to me) ride.

Merida Ride 94 frame, Bianchi wheels/stem/bars, full Ultegra groupset Cool .
So far, loving it.

Will be using this for the commute as well as long weekend rides. Might even attempt a sportive Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/Je2YRA3.jpg?2

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought myself one of these to keep up with the local Sunday morning MAMILs, first time with cleats, not forgotten to clip out yet, but there's still time ...... :

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/images/cube-attain-pro-disc-road-racing-bike-2017-white-black.jpg?maxheight=1200

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:47 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally come into the 21st century and treated myself to a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Cool

It was too much of a bargain to miss at £1849, reduced from £2699 Thumbs Up

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Synapse-Carbon-Disc-Ultegra-2017-Road-Bike_96472.htm

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

been on and off the idea for ages but the beer belly keeps growing so I've taken the plunge on a cube aim race 2018 in grey, my brother in law is mtb crazy and has about 8 bikes so gave me the thumbs up for this as a good starter, I can't do the gym and can't get a regular space to go back kickboxing so this will fit in nicely, just need to remember a slow start and build myself up

thanks to evans price match and low rate it's a tenner a month so no worries
https://www.kola-onix.cz/images/23/716fc5bc1e7bc9a7e93c0b97a9f5fddc-wm-1100x999.jpg

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:51 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started riding again recently as 'physio'. Can't walk properly but I'm fine cycling Razz

Got an old Kettler Alu-Rad that does me well and will be taking me 200 miles to a rally in Wiltshire in April (cos why not?!)

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/22852255_443048772763284_8625659064089111780_n.jpg?oh=9596c5f441f0c96f6eadb42ad8715c0c&oe=5AFA285A

Also got a cheapo 'rat' Y-frame MTB with a trailer for the son, and another trailer for picking up bicycle parts.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22310255_435001593568002_3622310953320141051_n.jpg?oh=7390ee026d4b26ae816ffa669e7373af&oe=5AE8F36A
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
Started riding again recently as 'physio'. Can't walk properly but I'm fine cycling Razz

That's why people think I'm faking. I hobble to my bike, then set off like Lance Armstrong chasing a blood transfusion van (I might have stolen that line).

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
That's why people think I'm faking. I hobble to my bike, then set off like Lance Armstrong chasing a blood transfusion van (I might have stolen that line).

Laughing Yeah I've had it a couple of times but hard to argue with the obvious atrophy.

I'm fine on the bikes and regularly do half century rides 'for fun' and at silly'o'clock in the morning - less twats like me on the road.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what to do about weight? My raleigh MTB which I have owned for approx 10 years weighs 15kg, I was looking at bikes in my local shop and at decathlon and also online where the weight drops to 11 or 12kg. Is it that noticeable? My MTB has 26" wheels and the local shop told me I needed 29" wheels now for any kind of speed. With the gearing and drag from knobblys the MTB is too slow to commute on.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:49 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the local shop told me I needed 29" wheels now for any kind of speed"

Advice like that is why they'll go out of business soon. You can go just as fast with 26" wheels as you always could. Wink

For commuting, a pair of semi slick tyres will make a world of difference.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ste said - slick tyres will be by far the biggest difference until you run out of gearing.

Gearing can be changed up easily enough to give a good bit more if desired.

Weight isn't such a big factor for all out speed - where aerodynamics are more important generally. It does make some difference for acceleration - and repeatedly peddling away from lights will see you more tired.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:24 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have seen somewhere else that knobblys can be replaced with slicks. Tyre changing isn't something I have done since I was a child but I don't intend to pay a shop to do it. Thanks for the info - I will look at getting a pair of slicks.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:29 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb-slick-tyres/26-559-wheel-size/

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
what to do about weight? My raleigh MTB which I have owned for approx 10 years weighs 15kg, I was looking at bikes in my local shop and at decathlon and also online where the weight drops to 11 or 12kg. Is it that noticeable? My MTB has 26" wheels and the local shop told me I needed 29" wheels now for any kind of speed. With the gearing and drag from knobblys the MTB is too slow to commute on.

Don't worry about weight. Cycle races aren't won because of who's got the lightest bike. Fitness and performance enhancing drugs is!!

As has been said: tyres will make a large difference.

If you want the best of both worlds, you can buy knobbly tyres where the knobbles are very close together, so that when on hard pack you don't get a huge rolling resistance, but there's still good tread for hooking up on dirt.

LIKE THIS.

And people can fuck off about wheel size! Last World Cup DH season there was a massive hoo-haa about new 29" DH bikes being introduced and how they would dominate because of the extra rolling ability and blah blah blah. Who won the season??? A guy on 27.5".

I race DH on 26". Sure, I'm not competitive at all, but that's purely down to rider ability! Embarassed The only problem with riding 26" is we're seeing most new products coming out now not in 26". But that's only at the serious end of MTB. Your average cyclist wont see a change in availability.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:24 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice thanks. Before I asked the question on here I had been browsing heavily online and instores and I couldn't justify spending between £300-£1200 just to save a couple of kilos and an extra 3" on the wheels. Its far better me keeping that ££ in my pocket and buying pedals with clips and shoes, new lights, new tyres as above and better gear all round for me. I hadn't thought about changing the gear set, I will do the tyres and clips/pedals and see how I fare.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
buying pedals with clips and shoes

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/14059/are-there-any-scientific-studies-proving-the-benefits-of-clipless-pedal-systems

Quote:

The Pedaling Technique of Elite Endurance Cyclists: Changes With Increasing Workload at Constant Cadence was published in the International Journal of Sport Biometrics 7:29-53, 1991. However, it seems to come to the conclusion that they don't really make any difference as far as pedaling efficiency goes.

"...while torque during the upstroke did reduce the total positive work required during the downstroke, it did not contribute significantly to the external work done because 98.6% and 96.3% of the total work done at the low and high workloads, respectively, was done during the downstroke."

This is echoed in Physiological and biochemical determinants of elite endurance cycling performance published in the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 23:93-107, 1991. There are numerous graphs showing that pedal force is only exerted between the top and bottom of the downstroke, represented by a very sharp parabola spiking at 90 degrees from vertical.

That said, I think it's obvious to anyone who has ever done any particularly technical riding that with and without clipless pedals that clipless pedals significantly improve the handling of a bicycle. A fact which is probably more difficult to verify through scientific studies.

Off road it can make some sense for being able to pull up on both pedals to bunny hop/generally control the bike with your feet more easily.

Tyres and gears. Consider some Tri-bars if you do a lot of high speed stuff.

For tyres - as well as ones with tightly packed buts, you can also get ones with smooth centres and some side-knobs. Gives you more of a chance in mud without impacting road performance. I also had some that had two thinnish centre ridges with a checker pattern bellow - the idea being that when on the road you mostly road on this stiff centre strips, giving low rolling resistance, but if you sunk in a bit off road, you should have reasonable grip.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:17 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Tiger Shed has been delivered and is going up on the weekend. Space for five bikes. I have four.

Marin Pine Mountain (1995)
My first bike as a grown up. I just wanted something to ride and came across this. Hadn't heard of Marin at the time.
Turns out that it's very well specced, albeit old. But I love this bike and I won't part with it. Even though it's essentially a wall ornament at the moment.

B'twin Triban Trail 3
Not very good. Bought it for a measly sum from Gumtree

Specialized Globe (2010-ish)
£15 from eBay. Needed a new headset, which was installed. Runs really nice.

Kona Dew Plus
My latest bike. Again, I think it was a bargain at £70. In mint condition. I'm itching for a half decent weekend to go out and give this a good 20-odd mile blast.

Room for one more... I saw a Specalized Hardrock for £40. Once the shed is built, I am going to try and convince the wife I need a second mountain bike. It's probably hotter than a glassblower's arsehole, but there's no way to tell. So I'll go with it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got smooth centres and knobbly edges then the smooth centre is really slippery on wet grass. On a tow path with gravel and muddy puddles everything is cool but if you try to ride on patches of wet grass you'd better be aware of how little grip the tyres are going to offer you. Laughing

SPDs pedals imo have never been about being able to pull up as well as push down, they help keep your feet in the correct position and so you can keep pedaling harder for longer but you shouldn't expect to be pulling up on the pedals as well as pushing down.

They make pedaling 'easier' and offroad they give you more control but they're not going to make you to have more power.

Upgrading groupsets can get quite expensive so that's something I'd only really recommend if you're needing to replace stuff that you've already worn out.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
My new Tiger Shed has been delivered and is going up on the weekend. Space for five bikes. I have four.

At least you have a shed to use!

I have 5 bikes and 4 of them I keep in my room (I live in a houseshare).

Not to mention in my room I also have a toolbox, all my MTB gear, all my motorbike gear, homebrew making barrels and then all the regular bedroom stuff.

Feng Shui is certainly not a word that comes to mind when you walk in my room Laughing

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/27164620_10156343951360288_6532730675321937018_o.jpg?oh=f095f578e4994bf0977aef40fff56ebe&oe=5B20B48C

This is my most recent purchase.

2015 Commencal Meta HT SX.
26", 140mm travel, back wheel happy hardtail.
I've wanted a bike I can ride uphill (as well as downhill) for ages. This is quite a humbling ride. I'm used to battering down trails having 200mm of front and rear travel and barely a reason to bend my knees. Trying to do the same on the HT and I suddenly realise how the rear wheel likes to track when you hit the slightest angle rut/root/rock. Absolutely mega fun and should hopefully finesse my riding more so I can then improve when I get on the DH bike.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/27629206_10156394114880288_4335056074428734588_o.jpg?oh=5b7cbf1a8e3b7a3c70ba72bfa14d045f&oe=5B1B151E

From Friday just gone.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

Feng Shui is certainly not a word that comes to mind when you walk in my room Laughing

I can relate. This is my dining room. The wall they're up against is coming down in about two weeks as part of a major kitchen/diner refurb. Hence the need for a shed to put them in.

https://i.imgur.com/fCCUdrBl.jpg
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10