BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best way to make a start off road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:04 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info, sounds good apart from that price *wince*. Hopefully a slightly fucked one comes up!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KLX-300-v5-enduro-green-lane-trail-AJ-TRADING-0121-439-0530-/192259359312?hash=item2cc38d0250:g:u1gAAOSwxxVZfGsT

Bit scabby.

Kinda fun, gonna have enough power to green lane and enjoy until you want a mega power beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:31 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pricey for the age compared to other models? Although it being on my way home from work is a winner...

Can't see that I will ever want a mega power beast tbh, you've seen me ride Embarassed So something relatively long term would probs be a good idea.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree the higher power bikes are easier to ride - sure, they can be more likely to launch you, but you don't have to be up and down the gear box so much.

As the pace increases, the 200 you rode is more challenging to go at the same pace when compared to a 300 2 stroke or 500 4 stroke.

I do quite like the idea of the KLX300 for a do it all dirt bike.

Wish I could ride properly Sad.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the klx300. I wanted one for ages but kick start only, I believe. Also, even I wouldn't want to think about parts availability in the UK for it. Same with the kdx 220. Popular in America. Not so much here.

I think on paper they are one of the best all rounder you can get. Seem to do well at everything on Youtube, so there is that.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So three-ish votes for the klx from people I trust to have good advice... Time to persuade the wife I deserve new toy I think. And learn how to use a kick start.

Unless any other votes for pampera cos there's one of those about in budget too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at what you've got around you too - presuming access to a car, also consider a towbar + trailer. Both cheap and whatever the bike, can make riding more enjoyable (no long trips sitting on a windy slow bike to get to dirty fun.)

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That klx is closest so tempting. Unfortunately towbars for the pimpmobile (kia picanto) are obscenely expensive. So extra plus points for local...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=kia%20picanto%20tow%20bar Question

Seems reasonable priced to me?

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:36 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 + trailer... I'm poor, this science gig does not pay well. Mind you there's a similar looking klx up in the grim north that is tow bar + trailer cheaper than local one, you might be onto something sensible here actually

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway my off topic financial situation aside, much food for thought thank you!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer generally useful if you've got space to store it.
But it also gives you more options for bikes you can choose - no longer need to worry about it being ok on the road and can better consider enduro practice locations and so on.

Single bike trailers usually can be got pretty cheaply.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:53 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish a towbar for my car was that cheap. Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I presume your car isn't one of the models covered by this?..
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182072733793

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I presume your car isn't one of the models covered by this?..
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182072733793

Maybe... but it's the electrics that are the issue... You need a kit to do it which costs a bomb. The quotes I've had for towbar fitting have been between 400 and 600 quid (including the towbar).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:54 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't just take a feed from the lights, like all the kits normally do?

It says it has "Electric kit: Universal 7-PIN with bypass relay".

I'd like to get a proper plug in system that charges caravan too on mine, but current setup on new van seems to work and also tempted to go 240v instead.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1400 CRF230 with spare rear wheel

https://trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=23909&sid=d92338b1851a5b719faa6fe2f37ec297

their forum is a bit potato though, so page zoom out to view pics easier

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:03 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price for the age, thanks! 2 and a half hours away though... Shall weigh up the suffering vs my desire for immediate gratification.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Soph and everyone in the thread. Definitely worth booking marking for a little later when the funds approve, as I will be looking for a similar toy to start out on!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ktm-200-exc-motocross-enduro-bike-/222667144861?hash=item33d7fefe9d:g:2tkAAOSw2oJZ1QTq

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:18 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mr suntan but I bought a KDX220 a couple of weeks ago. Was waiting til it was in some mud to update the thread but there we go!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 13 days between these two posts...

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to open up another thread as I'm looking into the same thing, although I was aiming for 1250-1500 bike+insurance.

I was impressed at the base price of these....can easily buy a 10 year old hornet for the same price as thrashed 80s dual sports.

What I came across as an option was some 90s adv bikes, really liked the Funduro. Found a cheap one recently taken care of, insurance ok, but then again those are 190kg with 17cm fork travel, probabl;y not good to learn on?

Funny thing is on some 1500+ bikes I have been quoted as low as 200 for insurance, but I can't go over it.

I spotted some nice ~1k bikes, slr650/XT600 (which is still kinda big I guess, I was initially aiming for 250s), but the insurance is 600+ Laughing
Funnily, on a KLR600 it was £250, but the bike was 1800...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Didn't want to open up another thread as I'm looking into the same thing, although I was aiming for 1250-1500 bike+insurance.

I was impressed at the base price of these....can easily buy a 10 year old hornet for the same price as thrashed 80s dual sports.

What I came across as an option was some 90s adv bikes, really liked the Funduro. Found a cheap one recently taken care of, insurance ok, but then again those are 190kg with 17cm fork travel, probabl;y not good to learn on?

Funny thing is on some 1500+ bikes I have been quoted as low as 200 for insurance, but I can't go over it.

I spotted some nice ~1k bikes, slr650/XT600 (which is still kinda big I guess, I was initially aiming for 250s), but the insurance is 600+ Laughing
Funnily, on a KLR600 it was £250, but the bike was 1800...

If I was you I'd be after something light, cheap, Japanese and adaptable. I just looked on ebay for a CLR125 - it's not an off-road bike as such, but I think it could take some quite knobbly tyres. I'm not sure how big the front wheel actually is - but there's a young 'un in our TRF on something very similar (i.e. a puny 4 stroke single 125 with a modicum of suspension travel and clearance), and although he may get left behind on the easy bits, by the time anyone gets to the end of the section he's well within sight and only a few yards behind next last man. In other words he's a bloody good rider on a shit bike, which without any loud revving or mechanical cruelty, sustains momentum - no dabs, no drama. Quite cool tbh.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CLR125-CITY-FLY-2001-38-5K-MILES-799/264492926921?hash=item3d9501c7c9:g:9bEAAOSws0ldSbML

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird thread to have re-opened - I'm buying the aforementioned KDX from Soph.

The street orientated 500/600/650's are very different bikes to an Enduro. They have less off road ability, ranging from token gravel tracks to competant green laning. I wouldn't want to ride a heavy 4T in the woods, let alone on a track, but they make getting to green lanes etc a lot easier and enjoyable than a strung out 2T with a "daylight MOT" and a paper thin seat though, so it depends what your priorities are. I grew up hooning around on 2T crossers, so I know what I'm getting myself into - I'd suggest making sure you can live with a 2T bike that's pretty sharply focused if you look in that direction.

Insurance isn't insane unless you live in a city, then you acn pretty much forget it, anything remotely resembling a "proper" crosser is hugely, hugely nickable. Every oik in a set of trackies will be trying to figure out how tyo have it away from you. Dual sports are still very nickable, but not quite as much. I suspect being road orientated, they are a higher risk for a payout to a third party, hence your higher claims - I'd suggest it's rare a road legal enduro caused a 3rd party payout.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spot trevor, also saw this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Honda-Clr-125-Cityfly-Scrambler-enduro-street-bike-cafe-racer/193165824478?hash=item2cf99491de:g:XtEAAOSwqOddrDsw&autorefresh=true

Both tempting.
Considering how my 125 was, lowering the gearing would give it some oomph and do no damage since 5th gear is not really that worthwhile for the quick trip to the trail.

ThatDippyTwat,

I'm not looking for the best enduro bike ever, I will be just starting out, still unsure of how light or medium I want. I wouldn't go 2T unless it was a "classic" looking bike (e.g. TC90).

I just found a 86 DR600 which doesn't look so bad, kickstart and broken speedo cable, £200 insurance so good... I own older stuff with 4 wheels and the odd thing doesn't scare me.

I'd say it's gonna be between that and one of the cityflies honestly. Thanks for the tips. Arrow Mr. Green Arrow
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3