Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. They operate a closed cartel, there's no regulatory framework concerning NCB of which I'm aware, and no way to force them to accept anything.

By the way, enjoy the spam that you'll get to any email address that you've given to those spamming scum at Motorcycle Direct.

Boom_meringue
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Nope. They operate a closed cartel, there's no regulatory framework concerning NCB of which I'm aware, and no way to force them to accept anything.

By the way, enjoy the spam that you'll get to any email address that you've given to those spamming scum at Motorcycle Direct.

irony alert - I just got a call from their customer disservice dept trying to sell me extra options on my policy, I made it clear that they weren't going to get another penny of my hard earned and that they wouldn't be getting my business at all come renewal time.

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carole Nash decided to send a renewal in for £406.00 for my 2015 ktm. And 1968 Vespa. I called and mentioned that it was a slight increase from last year's £255.00 at which point they instantly dropped it to £259.00. They must think we are stupid

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much stupid, just lazy.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in bully's special prize...

A price comparison website.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:20 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My renewal is coming up and compare the market (free toys and stuff)
got me a quote for £107 with MCE but with a higher excess than I would normally like £575 I think it was, phoned a couple of places Carol Nash and their sister no frills company to be offered £330 and £237 and they seem genuinely shocked when I decline their offer despite me saying my cut off point is £140.
And it took 52 minutes of my time and they rang again tonight to see if they could beat it Rolling Eyes

I'm going to try and haggle my excess down with MCE but bloody hell this phoning for a quote lark is more of a pain than it was 10+ years ago.

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thinking of purchasing a new motorbike as I have mentioned in other posts, and I´ve been looking at insurances and it´s crazy. The bike I´m thinking of is a Yamaha Tracer 900 or Tracer 700

Some of the info they ask for:
- 2 and a half years in the UK
- Not had a motorbike, so that a 0 year no claim bonus .
- Will be parked in an underground parking (New block of flats with private parking for the residents (is this called garaged or is it something else?)
- Had a fine and a couple of points given in Feb 2014 when I moved over to Glasgow for using the mobile as a GPS while driving because I was lost.
- No accident.
- Yamaha YISS and looking into a Pragmasis 16mm

Many companies such as Bennets tell me I can not be insured. I have a 800 premium with a 500 excess with Just Motorcycle Insurance with Aviva.

Any foreigner in the same situation as me? How did you manage to get a bike insured with all this issues?

Paying that much money for an insurance almost doubles the price of the motorbike, Is this normal?

Thanks,
ThomasMeyer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we all Very Happy

I've been doing a ton of quotes and looking at buying a Thundercat but for a newly passed rider it's bloody ridiculous how much some places charge compared to others.

An I already sold my kidneys for the car insurance Razz

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaintxu wrote:

- Will be parked in an underground parking (New block of flats with private parking for the residents (is this called garaged or is it something else?)

Thanks,

If it has a gate or something similar I'm guessing it would be seen as a secure car park if not it's just offroad parking. Definitely not garaged.

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Currently I am riding Suzuki Address 110 scooter and hopefully in November I will have 1 year NCB. I am planning to buy Honda NC750X next year and I am thinking if I should insure it separately, which I guess would mean that I won’t be able to use my 1 year NCB that I will use for my scooter?

I checked some multi-vehicle policies with third part+theft cover and I am getting ridiculous quotes of £3000. I live in quite safe area in London and I am also considering not to insure NC750 against theft but rather to secure it with alarm, chain, disc lock and cover. Not sure how smart of a move that would be but paying 3k for an insurance is almost half price of NC750. If I insure Honda separately the quote I am receiving is £780 with £2000 excess if stolen which brings me again to the 3k mark plus that I will be penalised in the future with the premiums.

What would be your advice on this? Would you recommend any multi-vehicle insurance company. Is it better insuring them separately? How can I know that if I insure the scooter now for £200 a year and then Honda comes that the price won’t go above the roof since the policy can be cheap for the scoot but extremely expensive for the big bike?

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:28 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently I am riding Suzuki Address 110 scooter and hopefully in November I will have 1 year NCB. I am planning to buy Honda NC750X next year and I am thinking if I should insure it separately, which I guess would mean that I won’t be able to use my 1 year NCB that I will use for my scooter?

go_compare wrote:
Your no claims bonus applies to a single car and, although it can be transferred to an alternative car, it can't be applied to an additional car or another vehicle. It's possible to build up multiple NCBs on vehicles insured under different policies.

So to my understanding you could transfer your ncb to the Honda and not use it on the scooter and see if this helps.

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
I am also considering not to insure NC750 against theft but rather to secure it with alarm, chain, disc lock and cover. Not sure how smart of a move that would be

This stuff wont stop a determined thief from stealing your shiny new bike. If your parked at the side of the road mr pikey would knock it every every half hour and you would probably turn the alarm off so as not to annoy neighbours and then off it goes into the back of his van. I hear in London bike theft is "quite" common, although you say you live in a safe part of London Im sure you will be going out of this area on your bike so your still open to being followed home. Your postcode is probably why your quotes are coming back so expensive.

My advice would be not to get a new bike and buy used and transfer your ncb to the bigger, more expensive to insure bike.

woody599
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:32 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£700 is steep!

woody599
ISHANLEE2017 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called a bunch of insurance companies, my 2 best quotes are around 800 quid (390 Duke, 1st time rider with unrestricted licence passed in last october, fully comp)

My 2 options are Caroline Nash and BeMoto. Which one to choose ?

Also BeMoto gives me an additional insurance (for free) for the excess ?
Like if I have a crash, I pay the excess, then I get it back ?
That sounds dodgy to me, can anyone enlighten me please ?

Thank you,
Vick.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:

Also BeMoto gives me an additional insurance (for free) for the excess ?
Like if I have a crash, I pay the excess, then I get it back ?
That sounds dodgy to me, can anyone enlighten me please ?

Thank you,
Vick.

It pays you the excess if you total the bike. You have to total it though - you can't claim for a partial loss.

So, you smash bike up, claim on your policy, insurer offers you 4000 quid for the bike mins the 500 quid excess, therefore they give you 3500 to settle. The excess insurer then gives got the 500 quid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , it makes sense now.

And between Caroline Nash and BeMoto, should I choose one over the other ?

I`m inclined to go with BeMoto as I`ve found more reviews for them that seem positive, but I bet 99% of those reviews didn`t make a claim with them to know how they actually do business.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the actual insurer with either?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:40 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
Called a bunch of insurance companies

Like, in 1992?

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk tends to turn up the lowest quotes for me.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
VickRides wrote:

Like, in 1992?

Cheers for that ling Rog, just tried for some quotes for my renewal next month, bearing in mind i only got my full licence in October, and will only have 1 year NCD, my renewals for fullycomp (including commuting) came out at £110 with Hastings Direct, and £145 with Hastings Premier (Helmet & Leathers cover, 90 days Euro cover and a couple of other things)

Didn't think that was too bad on a 600 Hornet

While on the subject, has anyone actually ever claimed for helmet/leathers cover, and is it worth the additional £35

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

axxa with caronline nash, the one with bmoto is "ERS"

I called BeMoto again and got them to lower my excess to 250 , and with free excess protection due to Quoting 44 teeth, I went with them.

I hope I did the right choice ?

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
VickRides wrote:

Like, in 1992?

I did that initially, but then called up the lower ones and further talked live and haggled a bit.
I just called BeMoto, Caroline, Devit and Bennets. Smile

Oh to answer your question, in 2018 Smile) and 2017 as well as it was around december , but then it became 2018 Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
arry wrote:

axxa with caronline nash, the one with bmoto is "ERS"

I called BeMoto again and got them to lower my excess to 250 , and with free excess protection due to Quoting 44 teeth, I went with them.

I hope I did the right choice ?

The AXA policy wording is a bit wider in places but nothing you're going to really notice unless you get right into the thick of it. ERS claims service is somewhat hit and miss and their endorsements tend to be more numerous and onerous - make sure you check that thoroughly and think if you can comply.

AXA more established and have a better financial rating whereas ERS appear to be building up for selling off, but for the sake of the size of the premium you're handing over it's not something that would concern me overly.

AXA probably better but not that you'll notice if you don't fall off.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time arry Smile
I will do my best to not use my bike insurance at all if possible Smile)
BeMoto guys seemed to be cool for me to add crash cage/sliders/slip on stuff (as long as it doesn`t change decalred value or engine performance) with no extra fee. I just have to call them up and tell them basically and no charges/changes should happen so I went with them Smile 250 excess too, with excess protection, and I asked today, the guy said that I don`t have to total the bike either. It`s after I make the claim, and the insurer agrees to it, I get back the excess.

Anyway thank you for your time again and hopefully I don`t insurance at all Very Happy

All the best,
Vick.

dornam
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just bought a Kawasaki Z800 and was looking at insurance prices. Cheapest I got is £900 and the next best offer is £1200. Any useful tips when it comes to getting a cheaper quote? Are they gonna make me a better offer if I call and try to negotiate? Thanks!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9