Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which bike should I get?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

doomandgloom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Which bike should I get? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm looking at getting my first bike since passing my test 6 years ago at the age of 42, I can't make my mind up between the Honda NC750x , Suzuki Vstrom650 both around the £4000 mark or a cheaper Kawasaki Vesys650. I'm quite tall so definitely want an upright adventure/tourer, so if anyone who has had or rode one of these and can give me there sensible opinion I would be very grateful.[/b]

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why those, specifically? What are you going to use the bike for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new rider at 48, having had some 125's when younger,and bought a 650 vstrom for my first bike. I was originally after a gsx 650f but a vstrom appeared in a nearby dealer the day after I passed my test.
The engine is brilliant and the bike offers a lot more wind protection than the hondacbf 600 I learnt on. It's economical, quick off the mark, looks good and has a great high up riding position for traffic. If there are any downsides and this is probably just me getting used to it is quite heavy and my i turns are not very tight yet, but absaloutelyno regrets even though I'm only 5 ft 7 .

I got mine on a 2012 plate, 12,000 miles, withcentre stand,hand guards, crashbungs 12 volt socket, and a top box for £3.5k..

Whilst the Honda you are looking at had better fuel economy it didn't appeal to me on any other grounds and I've read about some people finding them a little tame.

Best thing is to test drive them both.

doomandgloom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:49 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopefully going to do a bit of touring when I get a bit more experience under my belt so I thought I would start with a mid engine touring bike,use it for the weekends and for work on the better days....oh and I like the look of them as well. There's a lot of nice bikes out there and if I could afford it I'd jump onto a Multistrada but I can't yet.

doomandgloom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:58 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I'm a new rider at 48, having had some 125's when younger,and bought a 650 vstrom for my first bike. I was originally after a gsx 650f but a vstrom appeared in a nearby dealer the day after I passed my test.
The engine is brilliant and the bike offers a lot more wind protection than the hondacbf 600 I learnt on. It's economical, quick off the mark, looks good and has a great high up riding position for traffic. If there are any downsides and this is probably just me getting used to it is quite heavy and my i turns are not very tight yet, but absaloutelyno regrets even though I'm only 5 ft 7 .

I got mine on a 2012 plate, 12,000 miles, withcentre stand,hand guards, crashbungs 12 volt socket, and a top box for £3.5k..

Whilst the Honda you are looking at had better fuel economy it didn't appeal to me on any other grounds and I've read about some people finding them a little tame.

Best thing is to test drive them both.

Thanks for the info, you got a good deal there with your Vstrom, as for the honda I have read that its a little tame but being a noob as they say I thought it might help. I think your right I need to test drive them

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the choices there I would go with the Versys first, Strom second and the Honda I wouldn't touch TBH.

Have you considered other options?
Tiger 800?
F800?
Crossrunner?

Or even go a bit loopy and look at a KTM 990 SMT or Adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda is a commuter scooter masquerading as a motorbike.

It is designed for great petrol consumption. Good storage and not enough power to drive a mobility scooter. DO NOT TOUCH unless for a commuter only.
Bricemclain This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brice touches children inappropriately - I wouldn't click that link.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:38 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brice is Thai, likely Adam Aarons' girlboyfriend.

On topic, I'd be happy trying any of the above except the NC750, because life is too short.

Tiger 800 is a good shout. I really can't fault my F 800(cc) GS either.

Sorry that this doesn't help to narrow it down, but in that class of bikes there are very few bad choices. Whichever one you like best is the best for you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sorry that this doesn't help to narrow it down, but in that class of bikes there are very few bad choices. Whichever one you like best is the best for you.

Roger is spot on with that. The only 'bad' one is the Honda NC, but that is because it is purely a commuter. (For what it is,it is excellent but boring)

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only input I have is that the NC750X is the most boring bike I have ever ridden.

I'm quite certain I could have more fun on a 4t 125.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing it out there, you don't have to go adventure/tourer for an upright riding position. https://cycle-ergo.com/ Off the top of my head bikes that are surprisingly upright: MT-09, CB650f (probably out of budget though).

doomandgloom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:36 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Of the choices there I would go with the Versys first, Strom second and the Honda I wouldn't touch TBH.

Have you considered other options?
Tiger 800?
F800?
Crossrunner?

Or even go a bit loopy and look at a KTM 990 SMT or Adventure.

I do like all of those bikes but they do cost a lot more then the 3 bikes I mentioned.

doomandgloom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your advice...from the advise given I think the NC750 is a no go now as for some of the other bikes you have all mentioned I will be having a closer look at them all, most of them are out of my price rang unless they have stupid miles on the clock.........speaking of which when buying a bike does high mileage really matter and if so how high would you go before thinking no way??

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer is depends. I bought my 990 on 30k plus and don't have any major concerns over it. There are Adventure bikes out there on near 100k that have been treated well and survived fine.

If you're looking at dealer prices then really do consider private. Peace of mind from a dealer is expensive and not as gloriously uncomplicated as you'd expect.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:14 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomandgloom

Have you considered a Honda VFR800 ? I bought one as my first bike in March this year and find it a nice ride Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specifically makes you think a VFR will be a better choice for the OP than his suggested bikes, based on his requirements?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1