Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'18 GoldWing goes futuristic/or retro

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: '18 GoldWing goes futuristic/or retro Reply with quote

Honda decided to fit their flag ship touring motorcycle with a front aluminium alloy swing arm, with electronic adjustment (the speculation has it, we can expect automatic adjustment based on the road condition). Something we've seen in the 90's (Yamaha GTS1000) and even earlier (way earlier - MZ, BMW...). Except the electronic part, obviously.

You can have it with a 7 speed DCT or the classic manual gearbox. Reverse gear present. There's also the latest ABS and TCS which now should work even when cornering.

The rest of the features stays pretty much the same, or at least there's no info about anything new.

Source (info and pictures, NOT in English): https://www.motorkari.cz/clanky/moto-novinky/honda/nova-honda-goldwing-prekvapi-odvaznou-konstrukci-37258.html

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-08/37258.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-08/37258/2018hondagoldwingleaksoutwithnewfrontsuspension_1.jpg

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if this is due to the new Yamaha star Venture & not the new Beemers (they've had years to catch up to them)

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/june/yamaha-xv1900-star-venture-revealed

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old 1800 handles surprisingly well for a huge barge of a motorbike so I can't see this being much of an improvement from that point of view.

I have the feeling that this is a mod to try and justify the price on a bike that hasn't been really updated since its launch in 2001.

Loyalty will only get you so far on a bike that costs that much.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, and I bet it will be nigh on unbeatable in its class.
It'll probably ride like the smoothest silky carpet covered in creamy galaxy bars too! I'd have a go on one as an interesting curiosity that's off nearly all bikers radars in these parts. A smooth six pot engine must be a nice place to be on top of too.

But the joker that mentioned the 1900 Venture Yamaha. Fuck me you need some serious eye sight correction. How could such an almost Hardly Ableson replica even hope to be a spunk stain on the Goldwings garage wall? It's one of bikings most famous, most loved, followed and iconic models of the last 100years. You don't just buy into that with a dressed up V-twin and some luggage and leather. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:50 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I like it, and I bet it will be nigh on unbeatable in its class.
It'll probably ride like the smoothest silky carpet covered in creamy galaxy bars too! I'd have a go on one as an interesting curiosity that's off nearly all bikers radars in these parts. A smooth six pot engine must be a nice place to be on top of too.

But the joker that mentioned the 1900 Venture Yamaha. Fuck me you need some serious eye sight correction. How could such an almost Hardly Ableson replica even hope to be a spunk stain on the Goldwings garage wall? It's one of bikings most famous, most loved, followed and iconic models of the last 100years. You don't just buy into that with a dressed up V-twin and some luggage and leather. Rolling Eyes

What about a Rocket III then?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like the same class of bike. And have you seen how much chrome is on a Rocket.

If I was Mr Triumph, I'd be itching to build an all black night rod version, with a titanium 3-1 race pipe, dymag wheels, and a massive suspension and brake upgrade too.

Throw in a std supercharger and challenge the new V-max to a punch up maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: '18 GoldWing goes futuristic/or retro Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Something we've seen in the 90's (Yamaha GTS1000) and even earlier (way earlier - MZ, BMW...). Except the electronic part, obviously.

The GTS was proper hub centre steering though (and was bloody excellent) the Honda looks like an overly complicated leading link fork.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GTS was proper hub centre steering

Yes, a thousand times yes. And it went like stink even though they de-tuned the old EXUP lump and it handled almost as well as a sportsbike of the time. I'm pretty sure Flitwick motorcycles did something pretty trick with one too.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the outstanding recall notices this clusterfuck of mechanical schadenfreude is going to generate. What was wrong with two bits of scaffolding pole full of spings and oil again anyway?

yes I know I ride an R1200 shut up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
I can't wait for the outstanding recall notices this clusterfuck of mechanical schadenfreude is going to generate. What was wrong with two bits of scaffolding pole full of spings and oil again anyway?

I'd be reasonably confident it will leave the factory OK, but WTF will it be like a few K down the road, when all those pivot points have started to wear out?

This reminds me of the 80s, when Honda took all the simple stuff and complicated it to mindnumbing proportions.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:

I guess their goal was to reduce the front end dive and ''flex'' under braking. Which is what the Bimota and Honda ELF race bikes were about. Notice the USD forks and how thick they got over the years, to put more rigidity into the front end.

The GoldWing being fairly heavy motorcycle, reduced front end dive, while keeping it reasonably soft/comfortable, would be actually nice.

https://www.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DCP_5523.jpg

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that line drawing, there really is quite a lot going on there. Shocked
Still it's good to see something a bit different once in a while, and it does give the expectation of a very smooth ride. I've heard the Goldwing likened to a giant scooter. Kinda fancy a go on one.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I guess their goal was to reduce the front end dive and ''flex'' under braking. Which is what the Bimota and Honda ELF race bikes were about. Notice the USD forks and how thick they got over the years, to put more rigidity into the front end.

Not forgetting the major design flaw of the simple telescopic fork, constantly variable steering geometry.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
The GTS was proper hub centre steering

Yes, a thousand times yes. And it went like stink even though they de-tuned the old EXUP lump and it handled almost as well as a sportsbike of the time. I'm pretty sure Flitwick motorcycles did something pretty trick with one too.

Yup, they took it to the TT with a YZF engine fitted and finished 8th

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-U5qKtRvPgEA/TyLA4BfZdHI/AAAAAAAAAAk/sJl-EshE4lg/s640/ev0rr_05.jpg
BOOK ARTICLE[/img][/url]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1