BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1 to Mt09 - anyone else 'downgraded'?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Roger like many could be an orange swinger, if only the bikes were known as being at least as well built and European manufactured as their top drawer competition machines.

Maybe it'll be Triumph that is the first one to fill this niche of making a lightweight modern fun small bike with a good spec, but more importantly proper solid build quality. KTM could have charged £400-500 more maybe and got it too, if they'd not cheaped out and gone full suspect?

Oh and while we all ran miles away from the OP's point (try a test ride and see how you like them)
Im another advocate of small bikes too. I have zero relevant opinion and experience compared to the G's and Alex A's, that have probably spent years and £££££'s on bikes between 100-200bhp, but light is right for me and small bike worked hard for grins stimulates my fun gland more.

Also in the past I've been a lazy rider on 600-1000cc bikes, but having something that's low powered, but more importantly does the crackle stutter splutter bit, followed by a manic gearlever dance is where my few 100miles a year of fun is all at.

Saying that out of preference only and not serious use or need the much over 30-80bhp bracket that G likes wouldn't be my choice for a second bike. The next additional road bike I own will be around 100-140bhp. I only do nakeds and I think anything that's either light enough or breaks 100bhp at the back wheel, and handles okish is as much bike as I'll ever want.

I don't see how banging through the quick shifter on a 200bhp BMW in a shitty place to ride will ever be fun. It wouldn't be fun on a circuit either to me, just scary dangerous and exhausting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
well I've owned an MT-09......torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range .. waitin for the back wheel to spin-up all the time .. don`t like triples at all now horrible.

The Flash sent out by Yamaha will soon sort that for you!

its gone and I`ve sold the new owner the throttle tamer to go with it .. did all the other adjustments myself .. the cam lobe on the throttle grip.. throttle position sensor fine tune .. 6mm allen key required and a bit time .. removing slack from throttle cables ..
had it flashed at the time by Ian bells at Bedlington .. still horrible.!!!
that's it now I`m done with triples & V twins .. caveat i do like singles and twins in an off road bike.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I definitely want to try one, it ticks all my boxes. Owning one as an all weather commuter, not so keen.

After the aggro Dottyduck went through with hers, I'd not touch one with a barge pole, no matter how cheap. Up close, the finish was frankly awful and despite her festidious care was beginning to rot after a few months. Not to mention the incurable random stalling and flatly unhelpful dealers.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:49 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend on facebook (also a member on here but I don't see her very often) had a KTM RC390, but she had it for four months and I think it worked properly about twice in that time. She eventually took it back and got her money back.

Lots and lots of anecdotal evidence of the small KTM's being as reliable as a North Korean news outlet. I'd really like to see the figures of bikes returned to KTM or repaired under warranty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:54 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my Fireblade as I found not being able to come close to using the performance on the road very frustrating and a bit boring and pointless. Ended up with a new T120 Triumph which was the biggest bike purchase mistake of my life. Ended up with a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Surprisingly good handling, all day comfy and around 100bhp. Fairly weedy power by modern standards but I'm happy with it so far. Comfy for passenger too and came with hard luggage so serious touring is also within its scope. And it was cheap to buy Cool

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that the newest generation of Triumph Bonnevilles etc, are a real disappointment to read about. They don't even necessarily obliterate a good 70's example on the road or strip.

All they've got is really close tried too hard styling of the originals. I think a retro bike is best when it only loosely apes the style of the old bikes. I'd imagine a thunderbird sport would ride alot better and leave a new expensive Bonnie for dead.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a period of gradual downgrading many years ago. After I traded my FZ750 for an RG500, I then had to get shot of that cos it was wearing out fast, and I didn't want the cost and bother of refreshing it. So I picked up a stock 350 Powervalve. I thought it'd be the end of the world going to something so lacking in power Laughing
But the little RD was fun. Eventually however, I found myself getting it tuned and fettled, so clearly it did leave me wanting more.

After that got sold, I went straight back to big IL4s though, as I missed all that grunt.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:57 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, the mini KTM is a knee trembler behind the bus station, you wouldn't put her on the mortgage.

The Yamaha MT-03 (new ickle twin) might be worth a look for downsizers, although they could have shaved 10kg off of it - even BMW (well, TVS) got the G310R under 160kg, albeit with a miserly 11 litre tank.

Those "dark side" colour schemes though. Thumbs Down

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:14 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that MT03 has the same engine as the wife's R3 then it's a belter. I love riding that R3 even though the frame is a bit small. It's more upright than the R1 and R6 so not like a monkey shagging a football. Comfy and pokey enough to ride until the tank is empty.

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Gen 2 ZZR1400 for a couple of years now, and was considering changing it for something like a VStrom. But having just returned from a 7 day trip form Roscoff to Switzerland covering 1700 miles in 7 days I ain't selling the Beast for anything. Best all rounder IMO. Very Happy Very Happy

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with a load of blokes who used to ride big ninjas, busa's, naked IL4 muscle bikes, etc, but every single one of them has bought those ugly BMW GS's. They don't mind the loss of power because they say the handling beats anything out there when it comes to shitty British tarmac. The best riders in the group chuck those GS's about like toys. I'm no slouch on my CB1300 but I can't catch some of the lads on those McGregor Machines.

I must add though that none of them ride with side-cases on though because then they wouldn't be able to filter like lunatics.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:12 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same is probably true in the mid-capacities as well. I was shocked by how slow a ~100hp CBR600F felt compared to my ~70hp GS on public roads. Sure, it's faster when it's already going faster, but getting there needs more planning, more road, and more commitment.

On the tiddlers, MCN have just reviewed the new GSX250R, and are really struggling to say anything other than: under-powered, over-priced and pointless. 'Kin hell, Suzuki.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a strange one aren't they!

Ok the GSXR's are supposed to be with the best in class, and they have some funky looking interesting machines like the Van Van and useful value adventure road bikes like the V-strom,

But anything else worth a look? All I see is a sea of blandness, and also rans, from their scooters, 125's, city bikes, tourers and well everything really.

Maybe they are saving themselves for a Halo bike or two, or maybe they are winding it all down for a full on assault on the small-medium car market instead?

This would be a terrible mistake, as in the awful to be in new car market of today, middle of the road or ok brands just don't have a future. You need to be known for snobbish premium status, or bargain bucket and that's it.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is different so without trying it yourself you won't know. We all ride differently and like different things.

Personally on the road I like a lazines of a litre bike, the only downside is that you reach prison speeds without knowing it. They suit my riding style too, I like that extra in the bottom rpm range in litre IL4s without sacrificing top range and I love decent engine braking that comes with it too.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying my 600RR at the moment - and don't see me 'upgrading' to a blade anytime soon - on the UK country roads and A roads its more than enough power, especially if you keep it in the rev range the whole time. Was nice to see my mate on an 899 Ducati struggle to keep up (though he is fairly new)

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the OP I'm looking to 'downgrade'. Although I've been off bikes for a couple of years and now looking for a suitable bike to come back to.

In the order of most recent first, my previous bikes have been:
ZX9r
ZX7r
ZZR 600
FZR1000 Genesis
YZF 600 Thundercat

So after a string of sports bikes I'm actually looking at a naked bike now. I don't think I can go back to a 'small' bike, 750 would probably be the smallest cc I would entertain unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I do a lot of motorway riding so don't mind having a big heavy solid lump that doesn't get buffeted about.

I'd love a ZRX or XJR but they hold their money well and I'm really just after a cheap hack.

A mate suggested a Bandit 1200/1250 there's enough around to make them cheap but I'm a bit underwhelmed with that idea. He also suggested an X11 (naked blackbird) which might be fun.

I fancy something a bit different that stands out in the crowd.

As a result I've actually been consider older, 70-80s bikes. Such as XS1100, GS1000 or Zephyr/Z1000 etc. and even contemplated turning it into a cafe racer but if I ended up with a tidy example it might be better to keep it as a classic.

I think I need to do some more research and get out on some test rides but I really don't think I have the self control for a sportsbike any longer. I'm going to end up dead or in prison. After 15+ years, all year/all weather doing about 14000 miles a year it's a miracle I've never had an off and don't want to tempt fate.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think Roger like many could be an orange swinger, if only the bikes were known as being at least as well built and European manufactured as their top drawer competition machines.

Pretty much the reason why I don't have one. The cost to fun ratio isn't within the limits of my scientific model. At least with the CBR I know that I'm paying for a cheap Taiwan/Asian manufactured bike and that is reflected in the price.

If there are some 390's around in a few years that are still in good condition that haven't dissolved in the rain then I'd really consider one. The other big factor is that they aren't particularly economical for what they are, and the 'nickable'™ factor when riding into London everyday is pretty high. That being said I am currently reviewing the parameters of this factor as there is one parked near the office everyday that has remained there for the two months I've been working in the city

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had a look at the KTM for a while and the prices seem to have dropped off quite considerably. They are still much more than I am willing to pay for a non-premium motorcycle, mind. 10 minutes spent looking through a few ebay listing puts them over 3k, but in the same price range as the R3. I bought my 2011 CBR250 for £1300-1400 (I think) two years ago, so can't do a really do a mathematically equivalent price as they simply aren't old enough yet.

Will have another look when the weather turns worse, and by worse I mean colder, as I'm hoping there are some A2 license holders that decide that biking isn't for them and sell on in the winter.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go of an MT10 today. Awesome machine. Actually quite easy to ride and by far the swiftest machine I've had a go on. Liked it more than I expected. Really liked it actually but realistically it's too much performance for me.

Also tried the Tracer 900. Plenty poke, likes to wheelie and is probably the most exciting bike I've ridden. Again quite easy to ride if you have decent throttle control as it just feels so light and nimble. Loved it. Only issue was a high speed wobble that appeared at just over 100. Experienced that twice but I'm sure it could be dialed out with sone suspension tuning. I want one.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:

Also tried the Tracer 900. Plenty poke, likes to wheelie and is probably the most exciting bike I've ridden. Again quite easy to ride if you have decent throttle control as it just feels so light and nimble. Loved it. Only issue was a high speed wobble that appeared at just over 100. Experienced that twice but I'm sure it could be dialed out with sone suspension tuning. I want one.
Exciting was exactly why I bought the Spacker (which has no such wobble at 100 plus).

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Exciting was exactly why I bought the Spacker (which has no such wobble at 100 plus).

It was during hard acceleration on both occasions so the front end was probably rather light. Does seem to be an issue other people have found though. I think it's down to suspension setup but the dealer reckoned screen position and others have suggested it's the luggage, wheel alignment and then others have no such problems. Doesn't really put me off I'm just wondering how the light front end will feel with a pillion and full luggage.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing a bike for a lesser powered or less capable machine is not necessarily downgrading. It's all relative to the individual, but when I have changed bikes it's been because I wanted something different, not necessarily something better or worse (especially when owning one bike is the only option).

I went from an FZ6 to an old CB400 because I wanted a change. I found the 400 to be too gutless and not up to journeys that required speeds of more than 60. So I changed up to an SV650. The SV is still down on power compared to the FZ6, but for me it was an upgrade because the engine and gearbox is much better for all-round use and it's a more engaging ride.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: CBR6 and MZ250 Reply with quote

After a million years of motorcycle courier work using all the usual suspects I at last had a CBR6 and an MZ250 in the garage. I sold the CBR6. I think living for years with huge courier bike expenses might have something to do with it.

Between the MZ and the CBR left in the garage I couldn't fault the CBR6. They were great bikes. The problem was the cost of spares and insurance. Everything on both bikes was pretty much shagged due to high mileage courier abuse so fixing the CBR would have cost about ten times more than fixing the MZ. I figured I could sell the CBR to fix and ride the MZ for a while and buy a bike I really wanted later. That was like 15 years ago and I'm still on the MZ although to be fair it's not in any way an original bike. Pretty much the only things left on it that are MZ are the frame, the headlight and (at the moment) the engine, and even a lot of that has been altered.

It has no rear suspension. It's short and wobbly. It uses £35 tyres. It has terrible drum brakes. It looks like shit. It handles appallingly. At the time it was the worst, most unreliable bike I ever bought in my life. But now that I've "fixed" the damned thing it gets great mileage and is cheap to run and insure. It will do 70 if I want and on THAT crappy bike 70 is nothing like doing 70 on the totally capable CBR so it's an absolute adventure every time I go anywhere on it and it's now tax exempt. Mostly it costs next to nothing to keep it going.

I can't explain it, maybe it's because I get burned out as a courier always hurrying around on a succession of different bikes. All I know is I've been having great fun for years on the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. I think a lot of it is down to the fact that I don't give a shit what it looks like, so no worries or bother about cosmetics, it uses only the cheapest possible consumables so tyres, oil, brakes and chains are a pittance, costs very little to insure, has very few moving parts so very little hard work to keep it going, and you can fix it at the roadside with a rock and a hammer.

It's the bike I have actually cared LEAST for in my entire life, so I literally couldn't give a damn if it gets dented or rusty so long as it gets me cheaply between here and there, which it does with a grin on my face (possibly because I can't believe it didn't kill me in the process every time).

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: CBR6 and MZ250 Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
... you can fix it at the roadside with a rock and a hammer.

I love that! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2