BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap Ducatis

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Cheap Ducatis Reply with quote

I've seen a few Ducatis (various models from 90s-to early 2000s) recently in the sub £3000 band, and my first impression it WOW that's a lot of bike for the money.

But I remember my old next door neighbour traded his GSXR for a 748 he kept it till it was due a service then traded it for another GSXR as that was the cheaper option.

At that price I'm guessing they've reached the point where they're uneconomical to service and maintain and unless you're rich or a Ducati mechanic by trade (which I'm neither) would I be wise to give them a wide birth and stick to jap stuff?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:01 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what model you are talking about, the old air cooled Ducatis are really simple to work on and pretty bullet proof.

I think the air cooled ones are a little less reliable and harder to work on.

I don't think parts are particularly expensive either. Again model dependant.

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:08 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2001 Monster S4 (916 engine) bought with 25K on it I loved it, but I had issues with it. and spent a small fortune on it, service costs are ok, yes more than jap stuff but not that much more until you have any issues. Flaking Chrome on my rocker arms = expensive, doing clearances = PITA. belts every 2 years, ageing electrics = PITA. in comparison to jap stuff it ate batterys every 2 years pretty much.

but it had was real theatre, a sense of occasion, the booming, the dry clutch, really great bike and I was sad to get shot of it but I knew a big bill was looming and it wasn't getting the use so I sold it.

I would buy Ducati again, but only a new one with warrenty, my days of wanting to spanner bikes are over,

personally if its primary transport I would go JAP or Triumph currently have a 16 plate speed triple, great bike, but still lacks just that something special the ducati had.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilias can be had for very little harm to the bank balance. All the noise and thunder, seem solid enough, just getting to grips with mine, the riding experience is totally different to a Jap 4. A bit of a culture shock, refined isn't in the Aprilia dictionary, but, my God, they can't half go a bit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Cheap Ducatis Reply with quote

eddypeck wrote:
I've seen a few Ducatis (various models from 90s-to early 2000s) recently in the sub £3000 band, and my first impression it WOW that's a lot of bike for the money.

It really isn't. You're paying for the badge.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always worth joining a ducatisti forum and searching out the model and just importantly the year of the bike you're interested in.

e.g
Pre 2000 ST2 were sold with a charging system that wasn't upto the job.
2000 ST2 had fully adjustable showa and upgraded electrics, after 2000 they dumbed-down the suspension.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, a 20 year old motorcycle might not be reliable... what a surprise Rolling Eyes

Belts for the 2v engines are cheap and easy to change every 2 years, the 4v belts are a bit more but still not a stupid price. Some parts can be more difficult to source, a fly wheel for a '98 900 Monster for example, but then they can be for lots of other makes as well.

I am neither rich or a mechanic but will happily change belts and oils on mine, everything else is pretty much the same on any other motorcycle

I've had 3 Monsters over the past 12 years, the first stopped once in about 4 years (fuel blockage) and had a brake light switch fail, the second (the 900) had a duff battery that then ate the starter sprag (something that also affects speed triples I believe) and no problems with the third one (2006 S2r) in the past 18 months other than I cannot ride it enough and the noise it makes and the way it goes is fuggin incredible Mr. Green

Ducatis seem to get to around £2-3k then start to creep back up again, so buy one that's just had its belts done, run it for 12 months and sell on for what you bought it for and then wonder why the CBR600 you replaced it with is sooo dull (while replacing the reg/rec and cam chain tensioner...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such a thing as a cheap Italian motorcycle. Tut Tut

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folded arms
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think a later model 900ss (fuel injected) is a cracking bike and cheap to run.

But for the same money, you could buy an Aprillia Mille, which is a f**king phenomenal bit of kit.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before worrying about the running costs and reliability why not try riding one? Not everybody likes them, they are rather different to Japanese IL4s.
You may get on one and decide they aren't for you....

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:17 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If anything, to me looks like the prices have gone up. A few years ago there were loads of 600 Monsters around for under £1k, but nowhere near as common now.

The 2V engines are quite simple.

The 4V ones are more complex, but realistically not that difficult to work on. But some dealers charge silly money for the work on them.

I have ridden a couple of 600 Monsters and liked them. Quick enough for fun, but slow enough to give them a bit of stick regularly.

The 900SS I had a go on was fine at a decent speed on an A road. Kind of road where you could just wind on / off the throttle.

The Monster S4 I have ridden I am less keen on. Quicker by far, but seemed to have lost the fun factor of the 600.

All the best

Katy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Before worrying about the running costs and reliability why not try riding one? Not everybody likes them, they are rather different to Japanese IL4s.

^^^ What he said ^^^

The Paso I had was made for a midget. Lovely looking bike but by God the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely ride one first.

I bought my Duc nearly a year ago – I should have bought something else.

Nothing against the bike. It's great, and gets a lot of admiration. Was relatively easy for me to fix recently as well (and coming from someone who has no motorbike mechanic experience, that's saying something). I've had it serviced and repaired by a Ducati approved garage as well, and that was still affordable.

It's definitely not what I wanted, though. And I didn't realise that until it was too late.

Fab fun, glad I did it, but I think I'd prefer something else.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd love a Monster and if I'd bought the Enfield first, found out how much wifey loved going on the back of that and now doesn't like the KTM at all, I would have bought one in place of the KTM.

Now I've got the KTM though, I'm not sure I want to get rid of it and I can't be having 3 bikes sitting around doing not a lot....

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Ducati,s Reply with quote

My mates 749s was lovely to ride a proper scratcher, and with termi,s it sounded the nuts! however it suffered from a lot of electrical problems and only the Ducati dealer had the means to check things like the ECU which had to be replaced at a hell of a price following which it was promptly sold.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

I did this and bought my Brutale about 20 minutes later - this advice swings both ways.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1