Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FZS 600 Fairing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:19 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: FZS 600 Fairing Reply with quote

I am having trouble locating a front fairing for my FZS 600, its the 2003 model (if there are any compatible ones, I would appreciate the info) it is the one with square headlights, problem is with a popular bike as i understand, the parts are like gold dust, and when they do turn up they are expensive, I have found one on ebay for £20. but its very badly damaged, if anyone can give me some advise on where to find a cheap one it would be gratefully appreciated. I am off the road at the moment, got a rear flat a while back, on my way back from the Ace Cafe. so thought I would use the time to do some TLC, as the bike is my first bike.
Thanks guys Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the 2003 FZS600 come with square headlight fairings? I thought they switched to Foxeye in 2002?

eBay is your best bet, but decent fairings are expensive, maybe try https://foc-u.co.uk/ to see if anyone is breaking one?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that a used fairing almost invariable comes off a crashed bike and it's usually the fairing that gets clobbered first. If your bike really is a 2003 with square headlights then it's likely the previous owner reverted to the old style in desperation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:17 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: FZS Fairing Reply with quote

Yes the bike is 2003 but was first registered in the UK in 2007, so must be an import, (how easy would it be to convert it to foxeye)
my fairing is the result of a crash or something as it has chunk missing on the R/H side, thinking of doing a cople of things, I have tried modifying it, but not happy with the result now back on the bike, so question is do i find a damaged replacement and try to repair or wait for a fairly decent one to come up on ebay.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy? I'm not familiar with the pre-2003 models, but if they have the same instrument cluster and headlight wiring then it should be straightforward. You might need a different fairing stay though. As to removing the fairing it's dead easy, follow Haynes and you can't go wrong.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine the only difference would be headlight unit, fairing (possibly fairing bracket too).

Any pics of fairing? Impossible to say otherwise. I'd live with it, but then I don't care if my bike has some war wounds as long as it's still functional.

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

me to, this was bought as my first bike, as i only passed test in june.
so not worried about the looks really.

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:44 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if the pics work, but here goes nothing lol

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking on eBay every now and again, don't think that's easily repairable. Just wait for a cheap one to pop up. Thumbs Up

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:59 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

already done some work on the fairing the black one is the first, the red one is after i modified it, finish is not good, first time for this sort of work for me, and i'm not happy with the fact that the you can see the fairing stay is what makes me think its not good enough, but i am ok with criticism

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:11 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has binned their Fazer a few times and had to replace the fairing a number of times I'm more familiar with this stuff than I'd like to be! Currently just patching up again after a bad track incident last weekend!

Front end is swappable between early Boxeye and later Foxeye models, but you'll need different:-
Fairing, mounting brackets, headlight cluster and infills. Mirrors differ, but I believe both will still mount on either. Later ones are bit longer, better and common to FZS1000.

Yamaha still have many fairings available to buy new, fully painted for about £200. Just awaiting delivery myself of a new Foxeye fairing from Fowlers. Key thing is these come fully painted so often way better value for money than repairing and respraying a bust fairing.

Fairing brackets are tough to come by for the Foxeye and often bent. Slight bends can usually be sorted with some rubber mallet persuasion mind. They are available new for £160. Boxeye fairing brackets slightly more common and their separate bits to mount mirrors are two a penny. Again main bracket is about £160 new.

Headlights clusters again pretty rare. Though the Foxeye ones are same as the FZS1000, and the FZ1 ones may possible fit too. Biggest prob is you'll need a GB spec one to get correct light pattern to not dazzle oncoming cars to your right. Second hand ones are often missing mounting lugs so you'll need to plastic weld replacements. Foxeye lights clusters are still available new, but £250. UK Boxeye lights are no longer available though and EU ones are £300 odd. Foxeye lights are way better at night than older boxeye ones.

Fowler's is your friend:
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4165877/fzs600-fazer-5dm7-2000-070-a/cowling-1

And do get in touch with any ebay sellers breaking a bike, they often have other parts not necessarily listed on ebay.

Oh and dash/clocks are compatible between old and new Fazers, just later ones added a clock to tell the time within rev counter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FazerRider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, very helpful info, will probably go with buying new, but being out of work spare finances are bit hard to find you know, so looks like will have to make the bike last a couple of years, so will invest in new i think, unless cheaper ones show up in the mean time, have even contemplated going naked, again i'm not sure how easy or difficult this will be
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1